Vanguard Target 2030 fund retargeted its price and Quicken is confused

as2qkn
as2qkn Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Vanguard repriced its fund from $47 per share to $99 per share on 04/27/2022. The transaction was recorded in Quicken as selling the 2030 fund at $47 per share and buying "Unidentified Security" at $99 per share (the new Vanguard price). The next day Vanguard fund appeared as $99 per share but Quicken still has most of the shares under the "Unidentified Security" and not as Vanguard. It is almost like a transfer from "Unidentified Security" to Vanguard is needed to fix this.

Is that the correct fix? Or is there a better way to handle this problem?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just delete the sell transaction of the 2030 fund and the buy transaction of the "Unidentified Security" that were done on 4/27/2022?  If you do this be sure to back up your data file first but that should eliminate the issue for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @as2q
    Something is not computing here.  I see prices of VTHRX in the $32-34 range from 4/28 on.  Nothing close to 99.  Can you clarify or substantiate that you own the retail Vanguard Target 2030 Fund?  A similar "Fund" under a 401k account administration may track that security but not be that security.
  • @as2q - I think the "unidentified security" needs to be set up in Quicken.  The buy was for that new security.  You would be able to get the new security's ticker symbol from your FI's website.  The new ticker should be noted in the buy when you look at transaction history.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Vanguard repriced its fund from $47 per share to $99 per share on 04/27/2022."
    That seems extremely unlikely.  The price of an exchange-traded fund is set by the market, it's not set by anything Vanguard might do, other than a split of shares (which could be a reverse split), or some other corporate action.  Something else has happened.  Check the ticker symbol, check the CUSIP ID.
  • as2qkn
    as2qkn Member ✭✭
    I have discovered that this plan called "Vanguard Target 2030" is actually a "copy" of Vanguard's fund that my company put together. It is not traded publicly. I do not seem to be able to find out details of how this fund is put together other than a generic equity/bond/cash ratio. On 04/27/2022 they rebalanced from the "old" plan to the "new" one to reduce the expenses. They buy in bulk so that costs are reduced. While I applaud the expense reduction the clarity of what happened is still lacking. However, it explains what happened for my purposes of getting my account in Quicken straightened out. I simply need to transfer the shares from "Unidentified Security" to the new "Vanguard Target 2030" and all should be fine.
  • as2qkn
    as2qkn Member ✭✭
    Actually, a simpler fix was to simply change the name of the security in the "buy" transaction from "Unidentified Security" to "VANGUARD TARGET 2030" and *poof* all is well.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    @as2qkn - It seems like your 401(k) plan provider converted the Target Date funds to "unitized" funds.  That said, the prices on these funds are arbitrary and not published.  What is confusing is that they use fund names, cusips, or tickers that are close to the actual published ones.  Also always pay close attention to the ticker you are using to download fund prices into Quicken.  Since the "unitized" fund prices are not published, they cannot be downloaded from the usual pricing download.  They are updated by the file from your 401(k) provider via the one step update.  They also cannot be retrieved via the historical prices update.

If your price changed that much, I would assume that the number of shares, or units would have changed as well.  Market value should not have changed.  That is why I think that the "unidentified security" is the new Target 2030 fund with the new units to go along with the new price.  If you keep your old Target date fund with the old number of shares, then the market value would be incorrect.  Again, it sounds like they sold out of the old Target Date fund and purchased the new Target Date fund with the new "unitized" units and  prices.  I would check your 401(k) online account for transactions to confirm what they did to convert your Target Date funds.  
This discussion has been closed.