Transfer securities from one Qkn. File to another [edited]

Allan
Allan Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have been using Qkn. for 30 yrs., & have separate accounts for my parents, my brother & myself. My parents are gifting certain securities to my brother & myself.
Is there a way to transfer those securities to my & my brother's accounts together with their original costs per share? I would like to do this in Qkn. before downloading from the financial institution because the Qkn. history uses Spec.ID rather than ave. cost basis.
Currently using Win.10, & Qkn. Premier R.40.21
Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Allan said:
    I have 3 separate Qkn. files. That way I am able to keep each account separate.
    The approach I suggest you use is to perform the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard in your parent's Quicken file to a temporary off-line investment accounts for your and your brother's holdings.  Then, export the temporary accounts to QIF files and import the QIF files into your or your brother's Quicken file.  If you import the Added transactions in to a temporary off-line account your  or your brothers Quicken file, you may use the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard again to move the holdings to their appropriate destination.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Allan said:
    > @mshiggins said:
    > I've tried it both ways. Resetting the acquisition date and resetting the Add Shares date to the transfer date. It's a lot easier to change a date to the same value for each Add than to a different date value for each Add. 
    >
    > In either case, I include the lot open date in the memo of the Add Shares transaction in the QIF import. 

Can you further explain how to do this? The shares came over w/the same txn. date. Is there an easy way to edit the 300+ transactions. Thanks.
    The shares should come over with the same date, the date you specified for the transfer.

To set the acquisition dates appropriately, you'll need to manually set acquisition date field of each imported transaction.  The simplest approach may be to print a Portfolio view from you parent's Quicken file with the lots being transferred expanded to a text or PDF file which you may use to cut and paste the appropriate lot dates into the acquisition field of the imported transactions.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be clear -- You have separate accounts for the three (parents, brother, and yourself) in one Quicken file ... OR ... you have three separate Quicken files.  One file - you can see holding in all three accounts at the same time.  Three files - you have to close the file of one party to see any information about another party's holdings.  Which is it?

In the first case (one file), it is pretty simple.  From the Parents account, Enter Transactions, Shares Transferred between Accounts. 

The second case will be more difficult.  
  • Allan
    Allan Member ✭✭
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Allan said:
    The approach I suggest you use is to perform the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard in your parent's Quicken file to a temporary off-line investment accounts for your and your brother's holdings.  Then, export the temporary accounts to QIF files and import the QIF files into your or your brother's Quicken file.  If you import the Added transactions in to a temporary off-line account your  or your brothers Quicken file, you may use the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard again to move the holdings to their appropriate destination.
  • Allan
    Allan Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response. Do you mean I should create another Qkn. account in Parent's file, & then export that account to OIF? When it gets imported, does it show up as a separate account in the target file, or is it combined with the accounts in the existing file? They are basically mutual funds, & some of them are the same.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Allan said:
    Note with QIF imports, there is no lot open date for Add Shares transactions. 

When I need to QIF import Add Shares, I set the the Add Shares date to the lot open date. Then after import, edit each Add Shares to change the date to the date of the transfer. The lot open date is then retained in the Add Shares transaction. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Sherlock said:
    Allan said:

When I need to QIF import Add Shares, I set the the Add Shares date to the lot open date. Then after import, edit each Add Shares to change the date to the date of the transfer. The lot open date is then retained in the Add Shares transaction. 

I do not understand what you meant by: When I need to QIF import Add Shares, I set the the Add Shares date to the lot open date.

I do see the acquisition date of the Added transactions aren't being exported to the QIF file and, therefore, the need to manually set the 
    acquisition dates after import.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Allan said:
    Thanks for the response. Do you mean I should create another Qkn. account in Parent's file, & then export that account to OIF?
    Yes.
    When it gets imported, does it show up as a separate account in the target file, or is it combined with the accounts in the existing file?
    You identify the account you want to import the transactions into.  You may choose to create an off-line brokerage account to receive the imported transactions.
    They are basically mutual funds, & some of them are the same.
    As @mshiggins points out, the acquisition dates will not be preserved so you will have a bit more work to do.
  • mshiggins
    Sherlock said:
    mshiggins said:
    Sherlock said:
    Allan said:

I do not understand what you meant by: When I need to QIF import Add Shares, I set the the Add Shares date to the lot open date.

I do see the acquisition date of the Added transactions aren't being exported to the QIF file and, therefore, the need to manually set the acquisition dates after import.
    I've tried it both ways. Resetting the acquisition date and resetting the Add Shares date to the transfer date. It's a lot easier to change a date to the same value for each Add than to a different date value for each Add. 

In either case, I include the lot open date in the memo of the Add Shares transaction in the QIF import. 

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    @allen - be sure to also keep track of the gift date and value (FMV) of each security gifted.  If you ever decide to sell these securities, this information is needed to determine capital gains depending on what price you sell at.
  • Allan
    Allan Member ✭✭
    Ok, thanks for all your help. The shares go back 15 yrs. w/reinvested div. & c.g. I've created an offline account, transferred & exported to QIF. I think it's best to import them into a separate account in my file, since god only knows what's gonna happen when I do an update from Vanguard, where all the shares are held.
  • Allan
    Allan Member ✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > I've tried it both ways. Resetting the acquisition date and resetting the Add Shares date to the transfer date. It's a lot easier to change a date to the same value for each Add than to a different date value for each Add. 
    >
    > In either case, I include the lot open date in the memo of the Add Shares transaction in the QIF import. 

Can you further explain how to do this? The shares came over w/the same txn. date. Is there an easy way to edit the 300+ transactions. Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    mshiggins said:
    Sherlock said:
    mshiggins said:
    Sherlock said:
    Allan said:

I do see the acquisition date of the Added transactions aren't being exported to the QIF file and, therefore, the need to manually set the acquisition dates after import.
    I've tried it both ways. Resetting the acquisition date and resetting the Add Shares date to the transfer date. It's a lot easier to change a date to the same value for each Add than to a different date value for each Add. 

In either case, I include the lot open date in the memo of the Add Shares transaction in the QIF import. 
    In this case, the transaction date should be the date the holding arrives in the brothers' accounts and the acquisition date should be set to the date the lot was originally purchased by their parents.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Allan said:
    > @mshiggins said:
    >

The shares should come over with the same date, the date you specified for the transfer.

To set the acquisition dates appropriately, you'll need to manually set acquisition date field of each imported transaction.  The simplest approach may be to print a Portfolio view from you parent's Quicken file with the lots being transferred expanded to a text or PDF file which you may use to cut and paste the appropriate lot dates into the acquisition field of the imported transactions.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I edited the title of this discussion for clarity.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Allan
    Allan Member ✭✭
    Ok, thanks. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
    Thanks again to everyone who helped.
  • mshiggins
    Allan said:
    > @mshiggins said:
    >

I can provide some examples this evening (after work). 

• mshiggins
    Here is an example showing two cases for a multi lot Add Share QIF import.

Case 2 turns out to be a lot less work. You still have to edit each Add Shares transaction, but you're pasting in one value for all the transactions instead of a different value for each transaction. It goes pretty quick even for many lots. 

Here is the resulting Add Shares with one transaction shown in edit mode. 

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Allan said:
    An alternate approach to work around the QIF Added acquisition date export bug would be to export the original investment account from parent's Quicken file if that account does not have many Added transactions to correct.  The QIF file could be imported into a temporary account and the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard would preserve the Added acquisition dates.
  • Allan
    Allan Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > An alternate approach to work around the QIF Added acquisition date export bug would be to export the an investment account from parent's Quicken file that does not have many Added transactions to correct.  The QIF file could be imported into a temporary account and the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard would preserve the Added acquisition dates.

What I've done so far is to set up an offline account in parents, & transferred the shares. That account has the acquisition dates & prices, which was exported to QIF, however when imported to a separate account in my account the acquisition prices were preserved, but not the dates. I understand what mshiggins said about editing, but I'm missing what you're saying. If I transfer those shares to my account, I don't see how the acquisition date will be preserved. They're mutual funds with monthly/quarterly dividends, so unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'll either be editing, or going over to ave. cost basis.
  • mshiggins
    Sherlock said:
    Allan said:
    An alternate approach to work around the QIF Added acquisition date export bug would be to export the an investment account from parent's Quicken file that does not have many Added transactions to correct.  The QIF file could be imported into a temporary account and the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard would preserve the Added acquisition dates.
    @Sherlock your's is the much more elegant solution. 

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Allan said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > An alternate approach to work around the QIF Added acquisition date export bug would be to export the an investment account from parent's Quicken file that does not have many Added transactions to correct.  The QIF file could be imported into a temporary account and the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard would preserve the Added acquisition dates.

What I've done so far is to set up an offline account in parents, & transferred the shares. That account has the acquisition dates & prices, which was exported to QIF, however when imported to a separate account in my account the acquisition prices were preserved, but not the dates. I understand what mshiggins said about editing, but I'm missing what you're saying. If I transfer those shares to my account, I don't see how the acquisition date will be preserved. They're mutual funds with monthly/quarterly dividends, so unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'll either be editing, or going over to ave. cost basis.
    As discussed previously, the exported QIF file does not preserve the acquisition date of the Added transactions.  The alternative I am suggesting is to export an account from your parent's Quicken file that doesn't have Added transactions you would otherwise need to edit.  For example, you may export the original investment account as a QIF file.  After you import the QIF file in to a temporary offline account in your Quicken file, you would then be able to use the Shares Transferred between Accounts wizard to transfer the appropriate holdings from the temporary offline account to another account in your Quicken file.  This should produce the appropriate Added transactions with their acquisition dates in the account in your Quicken file.
  • Allan
    Allan Member ✭✭
    Ok, thanks for the clarification Sherlock. If I understand you correctly, since I've already set up an offline account in parents, should I transfer those shares back to the original parents account, export that account to QIF, then import that account to an offline account in my account, & then transfer the donated shares? If so, sounds good.
This discussion has been closed.