I don't want the Quicken suggested names downloaded. I only want the statement names. (Q Mac)

Jwalt313
Jwalt313 Member ✭✭
I ALWAYS want the downloaded statement name from my bank used, not the Quicken suggested names. I have made rules to that effect but I still get the Quicken suggested name. I do not have any of the boxes checked in preferences under Downloaded Transactions.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Jwalt313 said:
    I ALWAYS want the downloaded statement name from my bank used, not the Quicken suggested names. I have made rules to that effect but I still get the Quicken suggested name. I do not have any of the boxes checked in preferences under Downloaded Transactions.
    @Jwalt313

I am sorry for any frustration you have experienced with this naming issue. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community.

First, I want to be sure which method you are using to create Renaming Rules. It sounds as though this has already been attempted, but I want to be sure that both routes of doing so have already been tried. Here are steps below involving the creation of a Renaming Rule from the register:
    1. Right-click the transaction with the payee you want to change.
    2. Select Edit Transaction and enter the new payee name.
    3. Check the Also rename... option box.
    4. Click the dropdown arrow for more renaming options. You can select to rename future transactions or existing and future transactions.
    5. Press the return key.
    6. If you are presented with the Create Renaming Rule dialog, review and adjust your new renaming rule.
      • If you have chosen to apply the rule to existing transactions, click Review. When you are done reviewing the existing transactions that will be renamed, click Apply & Save.
      • If you did not choose to rename existing transactions, click Save.
    Next, you can also create Renaming Rules from the Payees & Rules window:

1. Go to Window → Payees & Rules.
    2. Select the Renaming Rules tab.
    3. Select the + plus sign in the bottom left corner of the Renaming Rules window to create a new renaming rule.
    4. Review and adjust your new renaming rule.
    • If you have chosen to apply the rule to existing transactions, click Review. When you are done reviewing the existing transactions that will be renamed, click Apply & Save.
    • If you did not choose to rename existing transactions, click Save.
    If both of these methods have been attempted and the issue persists, I recommend checking the location of the data file by going to File > Show "(Data File name will be listed here)" in Finder... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure your data file is located on your local computer. 

Once you have verified this, try opening a new 'test' data file. Save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch
    4. Click Next
    5. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location
    6. Click Next
    7. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web
    8. Click Next 

You may then add your non-Charles Schwab affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these renaming issues continue in this data file when you attempt to create rules using the steps listed above.

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jwalt313
    Jwalt313 Member ✭✭
    I actually use both methods for renaming, probably renaming from the register more often. I keep my Quicken file in iCloud so I can access it from either my laptop and my desktop. Could that be the issue?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Jwalt313 said:
    I actually use both methods for renaming, probably renaming from the register more often. I keep my Quicken file in iCloud so I can access it from either my laptop and my desktop. Could that be the issue?
    Hello @Jwalt313

Thank you so much for getting back to me, and for providing additional information about the situation. I am sorry that this problem is continuing. 

To answer your question: it seems very possible that keeping the data file in this location could lead to issues like this. We recommend against using cloud-based storage services to house data files as it can cause erratic program behavior, and even data damage. 

Edit: I do apologize for any confusion my post may have caused; formerly listed menu options are not available for Quicken Mac.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jwalt313
    Jwalt313 Member ✭✭
    OK- I have moved my Quicken file to my Mac desktop and stopped using my laptop. I have updated all of my renaming rules. I have opened my desktop Quicken files at least once per day ever since. Quicken is still downloading the Quicken name, not the statement name. I don't want the Quicken name. It is too general, not specific enough for me. I only want the statement name. How do I stop it from downloading Quicken names, even when there are renaming rules? I only want the statement name downloaded.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jwalt313 said:
    OK- I have moved my Quicken file to my Mac desktop and stopped using my laptop. I have updated all of my renaming rules. I have opened my desktop Quicken files at least once per day ever since. Quicken is still downloading the Quicken name, not the statement name. I don't want the Quicken name. It is too general, not specific enough for me. I only want the statement name. How do I stop it from downloading Quicken names, even when there are renaming rules? I only want the statement name downloaded.
    Now, for us to be a little less in the dark about the issue ...
    Can you show us a couple of examples of what's downloaded, what renaming rule you have in effect and what the final register transaction should look like?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

It's been my experience, for best results, to record a correctly named and categorized transaction into your register BEFORE the transaction appears in a download. This prevents all sorts of problems with renaming rules not triggering or memorized transactions not being used correctly. Quicken will simply attempt to match the downloaded transaction to the existing register transaction. No need for renaming rules, etc.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Jwalt313 said:
    Now, for us to be a little less in the dark about the issue ...
    Can you show us a couple of examples of what's downloaded, what renaming rule you have in effect and what the final register transaction should look like?
    The Inspector command can show what's downloaded versus what's in the register. To use the Inspector, select a downloaded transaction, then Control-Click (right-click) on the transaction and select Show Inspector. The Inspector is also available from Quicken's Menu: View > Show Inspector. In this display are the Payee and the Statement Payee fields.

Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Jwalt313 said:
    I only want the statement name. How do I stop it from downloading Quicken names, even when there are renaming rules? I only want the statement name downloaded.
    If there are local renaming rules, they will take precedence over the downloaded statement name. You have a few options:

Create (or modify) a renaming rule to use the exact name you want. While it may seem odd, you'd create a rule that says "If Statement Name contains 'Home' 'Depot', rename to 'Home Depot' " to insure that any transaction with the keywords you specify get named exactly they way you want.

The other option is to run off the preferences setting which is probably creating any server-based renaming you're experiencing. In Preferences > Connected Services, you can try unchecking the box for "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories." This will turn off server-renaming, so you will get the downloaded Payee name unless you have a local renaming rule. But be aware this will also turn off server-based auto-categorization of downloaded transactions, which may or may not replace one problem with another. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.