Unable to add a symbol - SPX PUT option

MISCOPT
MISCOPT Member ✭✭
Unable to add a SPX PUT option purchase into my register. Though the symbol is available within add security it will not enter into the register. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    What is the option ticker symbol you are using?

Note: SPX (aka INDEX:SPX) is a market index not an option or stock you may trade.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    What is the option ticker symbol you are using?

Note: SPX (aka INDEX:SPX) is a market index not an option or stock you may trade.
  • MISCOPT
    MISCOPT Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > What is the option ticker symbol you are using?
    >
    > Note: SPX (aka INDEX:SPX) is a market index not an option or stock you may trade.

Thank you, SPX is the ticker for the option though I understand that it isn't an equity, thank you for the clarification.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    MISCOPT said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > What is the option ticker symbol you are using?
    >
    > Note: SPX (aka INDEX:SPX) is a market index not an option or stock you may trade.

Thank you, SPX is the ticker for the option though I understand that it isn't an equity, thank you for the clarification.
    Option quotes use the OCC symbol format for the ticker symbol.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please double check that ticker,  to make sure that it's complete.  I just checked with Fidelity, and SPX ONLY shows as an index ...  not as as option.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    just sharing -
    [EDIT] - also updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Option quotes use the OCC symbol format for the ticker symbol.

Can you elaborate? I bought XSP JUL 15 2022 $380 CALL. Fidelity lists the symbol as "-XSP220715C380". What should I use in Quicken to capture price updates?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Option quotes use the OCC symbol format for the ticker symbol.

Can you elaborate? I bought XSP JUL 15 2022 $380 CALL. Fidelity lists the symbol as "-XSP220715C380". What should I use in Quicken to capture price updates?
    The OCC symbol format for a XSP JUL 15 2022 $380 CALL would be "XSP   220715C00380000".  

Note: In Quicken, a single space may suffice.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to confirm the availability of the option's price history from the third-party quote service at this time.
This discussion has been closed.