BMO Chequing and Master Cards

Moe123
Moe123 Member ✭✭
Hi,
For the last month or so I haven't been able to update my transactions from my BMO Business and Personal accounts to Quicken. Numerous calls to Quicken Help center. They were unable to solve the problem.
Thx

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report these issues, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have opened a new Alert for the current issues experienced with BMO, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates and information.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Moe123,

Are you having issues with the two-factor authorization process?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Moe123
    Moe123 Member ✭✭
    I am not sure what that means but all what I can tell you is the last transactions from BMO business and personal accounts I have on Quicken is from March the 3rd and after spending hours ( literally ) with Quicken phone support who went through everything to solve the problem, all what they can offer was " we escalated the problem and waiting to be solved" . How long is it gonna take? " Nobody knows"
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Moe123

I was having issues with downloading credit card data recently and it had to do with the bank's two factor authorization because it is a new process and I was also unable to sign-in on the website, but it is fixed now. 

Sorry to hear you are also having similar problems.  Are you using the Quicken Canada version?  Are you also unable to download by going to the website and downloading .qfx file?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Milltown
    Milltown Member ✭✭
    Hi Moe123, I have had the same problem and others have as well, Quicken says it is a bank problem and the bank says it doesn’t have a timeframe for a fix. Try searching this site for:
    Bank of Montreal - Updates complete without an error message but transactions do not download
    Best of luck to us all.
  • Moe123
    Moe123 Member ✭✭
    Hi,
    Thanks for your replies. Just an update. Now I am able to update transactions from BMO Master cards, business and personal BUT I am still unable to add my BMO Personal Chequing account to Quicken because Quicken recognize it as " Credit Card" rather than " Chequing" account. On the other hand Quicken recognize my BMO Business account as ' Chequing " , so no problem with that, but it doesn't update transactions . Last transaction from the business account was early March 2022 . I have no problem downloading .qfx file and import it to Quicken and that is what I did but this is not practical.
    FYI Quicken has no issues with RBC and CIBC accounts. They are updating fine. Also I had no problem updating BMO with Quickbooks.

Moe123
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Moe123,

For the on-going problem with your personal checking account - you might want to try the following (but make sure you have a good backup first - just in case).

I would suggest that you setup a new account in Quicken for it - but make it a "manual," "non-downloading," account.  Once the account is setup - go to "Account Details - and take a look at the "General" tab to make sure the "Account type" shows "checking".  Next, click on the "Online Services" tab and press the "Set Up Now" button.  Follow all the prompts to "connect" the account.  This should make it a connected account.  When it does, you can copy & paste the transaction history from the old account and then delete the old account.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• Milltown
    Milltown Member ✭✭
    Hi Moe and Frank
    I one thing of the many things i tried was just starting up a brand new Quicken account with just a bank of Montreal chequing account and when it tried to do the online setup it still insisted under type it was a credit card not a chequing account and if you try to link to that account it does’t appear on the list of available accounts. Very frustrating.
    Hopefully BMO comes up with a solution soon, they more or less admitted they had a problem but did not have a timeframe for a repair.
  • Not-Working
    Not-Working Member ✭✭
    @Moe123
    I called Quicken on Apr 8 and it sounded like they have not heard of this problem. They asked me to go through the set up again, even though I told them I have, and sure enough still same problem. He has issued a ticket, but no guess on when this will be fixed.

Like you the existing chequing account does not download. If I deactivate the online service and reactivate it to BMO, I only see my chequing account presented as a Credit card option, and so only allowed me to create a new account, or link to an existing credit card account (the existing BMO chequing acct does not show up as an option.)
    When I select to create that account, then Quicken sets it up as a credit card.

I think there is a miscommunication between Quicken and BMO on what type of account this is.

Seems the only work around for now is to manually download the QFX file and then click on that and link to the BMO chequing account so you can continue to update your existing account.
  • Moe123
    Moe123 Member ✭✭
    > @Moe123 said:
    > Hi,
    > Thanks for your replies. Just an update. Now I am able to update transactions from BMO Master cards, business and personal BUT I am still unable to add my BMO Personal Chequing account to Quicken because Quicken recognize it as " Credit Card" rather than " Chequing" acc ount. On the other hand Quicken recognize my BMO Business account as ' Chequing " , so no problem with that, but it doesn't update transactions . Last transaction from the business account was early March 2022 . I have no problem downloading .qfx file and import it to Quicken and that is what I did but this is not practical.
    > FYI Quicken has no issues with RBC and CIBC accounts. They are updating fine. Also I had no problem updating BMO with Quickbooks.
    >
    > Moe123
  • Moe123
    Moe123 Member ✭✭
    Not-Working
    I agree with you. So , like you, I download transaction files manually every now and then to update Quicken. This problem has been going on since around mid February. Again, I tried everything and spent hours with them over the phone. One Quicken representative told me that my best bet is to wait till the next update which might fix the problem !! What is frustrating is why each time someone call with same problem they claim that they never heard of it and take him through same steps to deactivate , reactivate bank accounts etc.. !!!
    Don't they have a system to flag problems like the one with BMO ?!!

Moe123
  • Peter Web
    Peter Web Member ✭✭
    Glad I found this discussion. I have same issue exactly -- BMO stopped working, no longer quick connect credit cards, thinks chequing account is credit card. I tried both Quicken and BMO phone technical support, but little help. At least I know that it is not something specific with my accounts which helps me a little.
  • JS926
    JS926 Member
    I have been using Quicken Canadian version for several years with accounts from BMO, TD, RBC, and CIBC. The BMO accounts suddenly stopped downloading as of March 3, 2022 while all transactions from the other banks continued with no issue. I called BMO in late March and they said they have no idea when this issue will get resolved.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Hello,

I do apologize about these issues with account connections and accounts associated with BMO. Thank you to everyone for seeking additional details in this discussion.

It would be extremely helpful in our investigation of this issue if everyone who has mentioned being affected by this problem could submit logs by going to File > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. This will help our teams analyze the problem and work toward a resolution, although we are currently unable to provide an ETA and updates will not be available.

Feel free to reach out with additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Moe123
    Moe123 Member ✭✭
    Hi,
    I couldn't find " File > Report a problem " !! Would you be able to send me a screen shot please ?
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2022
    Hello @Moe123,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.
    Moe123 said:
    Hi,
    I couldn't find " File > Report a problem " !! Would you be able to send me a screen shot please ?
    Apologies for any confusion as this was likely a typo. The correct way to submit a problem report and submit logs is by navigating to Help > Report a problem

I hope this clarifies things! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• JS926
    JS926 Member
    Is this issue nearing resolution? I uploaded the logs files and spent almost an hour with technical support and had to drop off for a conference call. Nothing heard back since. This product is useless with this issue.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to report the issues experienced with BMO, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

Please note that we do have an open Alert on BMO currently, though we do not have an ETA on resolution. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

-Quicken Anja

• Milltown
    Milltown Member ✭✭
    This is getting rediculous, this problem has exited for almost 2 months and it appears there is no imminent repair in the works. How tough can it be to repair a software glitch?
  • Not-Working
    Not-Working Member ✭✭
    For me this problem has been four months already. Seems the downloaded file is recognized as a credit card instead of a chequing account.
    I have been downloading the .qfx file to do a manual update as a work around.

Someone needs to work on this.
  • Milltown
    Milltown Member ✭✭
    I tried downloading the .qfx file for a manual update and it didn’t work so I have been manually updating by typing the info in from the bank website and that just sucks.
    I don’t think anyone is seriously looking at a fix.
    I don’t know how many people this effects, is it just a few or is it everyone with a chequing account at the Bank of Montreal.
  • Moe123
    Moe123 Member ✭✭
    Hi,
    The problem supposed to be "Solved" but when I went to check and tried to add my BMO Chequing account to Quicken it didn't even give me the option of adding my BMO Bank debit card. So I went to Tools > Add Account then clicked on BMO icon. A window popped up with the only option available is " MasterCard #" .
    It is really messed up.
  • D Morley
    D Morley Member ✭✭
    BMO Mastercard still not working for me. This is very frustrating and leaves me feeling that if I am going to have to manually do everything then there is not much point in continuing with my Quicken subscription. Very poor customer experience. Come on Quicken, get this fixed.
  • Takouhi
    Takouhi Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    I started getting a CC-503 error about 10 days ago and can only update my accounts manually. It seems to have coincided with BMO's new sign-in experience. I don't have 2FA so no idea what is going on. If it indeed has been going on for months, I am sure there is a lot of finger-pointing going on. i have never really been a fan of Quicken but it works, although when it doesn't it really doesn't!
  • D Morley
    D Morley Member ✭✭
    Latest response from Quicken Support:

Our service provider's Scripts Operations engineers have researched this issue and confirmed the financial institution is currently blocking all of our traffic.

We are working with your Financial Institution to resolve this issue, however, they have been unable to provide a date as to when this will be resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions regarding this issue, we recommend contacting the financial institution.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report these issues, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have opened a new Alert for the current issues experienced with BMO, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates and information.

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.