Account - Discover - transactions with no value and jumble of characters

nunya_bidness
nunya_bidness Member ✭✭
Hi, I'm a new Quicken customer, and have a question regarding one Account (Discover card) that has quite a bit of uncategorized transactions with jumbled names and 0.00 value.

This seems to be the only account doing this.

Is there a way to fix it?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are describing is a very common complaint in here with Discover cards.  For whatever reason discover sends these $0 transactions as part of their download and there's really not much you can do about it other than delete them when you see them.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm a new Quicken customer, and have a question regarding one Account (Discover card) that has quite a bit of uncategorized transactions with jumbled names and 0.00 value.

This seems to be the only account doing this.

Is there a way to fix it?
    Hello @nunya_bidness,     

I do apologize about these problems with account information seemingly downloading incorrectly. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

What account connection method are you using to currently link or add your account to online banking services? You can check this anytime by going to Tools > Account List... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, click the Edit button in the row associated with the affected account, and navigate to the Online Services tab, and the information we are looking for should be provided in the Online Setup callout box. I hope to provide further recommendations after hearing back from you about this.

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • nunya_bidness
    nunya_bidness Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > Hello @nunya_bidness,     
    >
    > I do apologize about these problems with account information seemingly downloading incorrectly. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 
    >
    > What account connection method are you using to currently link or add your account to online banking services? You can check this anytime by going to Tools > Account List... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, click the Edit button in the row associated with the affected account, and navigate to the Online Services tab, and the information we are looking for should be provided in the Online Setup callout box. I hope to provide further recommendations after hearing back from you about this.
    >
    > I look forward to your response. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Hi Jared, thanks for the reply. the Account is currently setup for Direct Connect, which is how it configured itself when I added the account
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @nunya_bidness,     
    >
    > I do apologize about these problems with account information seemingly downloading incorrectly. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 
    >
    > What account connection method are you using to currently link or add your account to online banking services? You can check this anytime by going to Tools > Account List... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, click the Edit button in the row associated with the affected account, and navigate to the Online Services tab, and the information we are looking for should be provided in the Online Setup callout box. I hope to provide further recommendations after hearing back from you about this.
    >
    > I look forward to your response. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Hi Jared, thanks for the reply. the Account is currently setup for Direct Connect, which is how it configured itself when I added the account
    Hello @nunya_bidness,              

Thank you for reaching out to me again about this. I do apologize that this issue has been ongoing.

To be clear: is the current total of the 'running' balance of your account appearing correctly? Also, per @Tom Young 's advice, I do recommend deleting these transactions after you have saved a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Entries downloaded when using the Direct Connect method are provided by the servers on the side of the financial institution; in this case, Discover. 

If necessary, you could try reaching out to Discover support via phone. I recommend requesting to speak with a 'Tier 2' representative or escalations team if and when this is done, as they are more likely to be familiar with third-party software, such as Quicken.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stated by @Tom Young , this is an issue with Discover Card when a transaction's information requires two lines in the printed statement and this causes a $0 transaction to be generated in addition to the legitimate transaction.
    Just delete the $0 transactions as they are meaningless.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.