Different Investment Totals are not the Same!

Pat Sills
Pat Sills Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Investing (Windows)
On the home page, in the left-hand column, is my Investing total, which I will call T.

Also on the home page, I display an asset allocation donut graph. The total on the right side of this display is a total amount I will call D.

Now, from the asset allocation donut graph, I click Show Full Graph and there is a total amount I will call F.

Finally, from this large donut graph I click Show Report, and scroll to the bottom of the report where there is a total that I will call R.

T, D, F, and R are all different amounts! They should be identical! The amounts are all within about 1% of each other, but close doesn't count in accounting. What is going on here? This is a serious Quicken bug. Please help.

Ken

Comments

• @Pat Sills - does the investment total on the left side (Account List) equal the Market Value that is shown on the Investment tab  -Portfolio -Value view?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Not knowing exactly what you are viewing on the home page makes it a bit challenging to respond but ...

If you're viewing Investing balance on the Account Bar, you may be viewing the current balance or the ending balance and the balance may exclude cash set to be shown in a checking account.  

If you're viewing the Asset Allocation item on a Home view, the total on the right should be the current balance including the cash but may be customized to exclude selected accounts and securities.

The Asset Allocation graph if customized the same as the Asset Allocation item on a Home view should display the same percentages but theTotal of the allocation amounts may not be same due to rounding in the graph/report.  
  • Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    Damian:
    The investment total in the account list column does not equal the market value total of the investing tab. They are about $3000 different.

Sherlock:
    When I am viewing the Investing total on the Account Bar, it includes cash in the investments. I don't know the difference between current balance and ending balance. Aren't they the same?

Sherlock:
    When I view asset allocation on the home view, the total on the right does not equal the current balance on the investment total. I have confirmed that the asset allocation includes all accounts and securities in every case.

Both:
    In the asset allocation donut graph that I have displayed on the Home tab, when I click Show Full Graph, I should see an identical larger donut, maybe with more data slices. But in each case, the totals on each display should be identical. They are not.

From the large donut graph, When I click Show Report, the Balance total does not equal the total in the large donut graph. Further, when I manually add the total balances of each asset class in the report, it does not equal the grand total of all asset classes, but does equal the total shown on the large donut graph. This is clearly a bug.

If you guys can attract the attention of a developer, I will be happy to share my screen and demonstrate all these inconsistencies. I want to get this all explained or fixed.

Ken
  • I think that is the first thing to figure out.  Why those two MVs don't match. The investment accounts in your account list and the Investments tab should be the same.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    [corrected] The current balance for an account is the balance as of today. The ending balance is the balance after the last transaction any future dated transactions in the account's Transaction list or Register. If you have future dated transactions, the two will be different.

To switch the Accounts Bar between showing the current and ending balance, click on the gear at the top right of the Accounts Bar and choose the appropriate option.

We do not have a direct connection with developers or Quicken Support, but if you contact Support, they may be able to help with a screen share.

To diagnose this issue, I would suggest that you start by setting the Accounts Bar to show the current balance and ignore the Home page and Portfolio views for the time being, because they may have been customized to exclude certain accounts and may or may not include unrealized gains.

Go through your investing accounts one at a time and compare the Total Market Value at the bottom right of the account window with the account balance in the Accounts view. Are they all the same? If an account just has Securities Value at the bottom right, it has been set up to show its cash as a checking account and that may account for the discrepancies you are seeing.

Please let us know what you find and we can proceed to further debugging steps.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Pat Sills said:
    Damian:
    The investment total in the account list column does not equal the market value total of the investing tab. They are about $3000 different.

Sherlock:
    When I am viewing the Investing total on the Account Bar, it includes cash in the investments. I don't know the difference between current balance and ending balance. Aren't they the same?
    Have you checked each investment account to confirm you have not chosen Show cash in a checking account ?

The current balance and the ending balance are not necessarily the same.  The current balance will not include future transactions or security prices that may already be present in the Quicken file.  It's easy to confirm whether they are the same at this time: right-click in the Account Bar.
    Sherlock:
    When I view asset allocation on the home view, the total on the right does not equal the current balance on the investment total. I have confirmed that the asset allocation includes all accounts and securities in every case.
    If you have determined the investment accounts are fully included in the Investing total Account Bar and you're viewing the current balance, I suspect the Asset Allocation item on a Home view may be corrupt.  I suggest you remove the item from the Home view and then add it back.
    Both:
    In the asset allocation donut graph that I have displayed on the Home tab, when I click Show Full Graph, I should see an identical larger donut, maybe with more data slices. But in each case, the totals on each display should be identical. They are not.
    Again, not necessarily.  The Asset Allocation graph if customized the same as the Asset Allocation item on a Home view should display the same percentages but the Total of the allocation amounts may not be same due to rounding in the graph/report.  

From the large donut graph, When I click Show Report, the Balance total does not equal the total in the large donut graph. Further, when I manually add the total balances of each asset class in the report, it does not equal the grand total of all asset classes, but does equal the total shown on the large donut graph. This is clearly a bug.
    Again, the totals of the allocation amounts may not be same due to rounding in the graph and the report. 
    If you guys can attract the attention of a developer, I will be happy to share my screen and demonstrate all these inconsistencies. I want to get this all explained or fixed.

Ken
    I've attempted to explain the expected differences.  If you're seeing something else, perhaps there is some factor.  Are you using Simple Investing?  If not, I suspect your Quicken file may be corrupt.

If you want to bring the issue to the attention of a developer, I suggest you select Help > Report a problem.

This discussion has been closed.