My new June issues - Wells Fargo Credit Cards and AT&T Cell Service

Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
Wells Fargo continues with issues. Not only will it not match a payment sent with a payment received on the credit card account but now it is bringing in duplicate cleared charges a week after the first was received and cleared. I see this ONLY with Wells Fargo - no other account. THe second chrge is not MATCHED to anything, though identical in every way.

Next, seems like EVERY month (I shall now track) AT&T Mobility reports account locked when it is not. Can access through IOS or browser, but Quicken requires the whole reauthentication process.

FWIW Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA STILL cannot grab a bill. Since I joined in February. I truly believe and have suggested that if you have a biller listed under add a new bill, they should work or be removed from the list. This one does not scrub fior a bill it appears.

So, my June starts.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

About your Bill Manager issues

My 2cents' worth, if I may:

I don't use Bill Pay services or Bill Manager at all, neither the one from Quicken nor the one offered by my bank. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet was invented) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, whatever the biller calls it. Using the biller's website, I authorized the biller to electronically debit each payment directly from my checking or credit card account on due date. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for it to happen. Instead of having to wrestle with making payment on time I let the biller do all the work for me.

When I get notified of a new statement having arrived, usually by email, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to record the transaction. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

I recommend you do the same instead of fighting the Bill Manager windmill, missing payments and getting slapped with penalty interest rates or late fees.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, but....I use my bank to pay my bills. It is in no way related to the issues in Quicken. And I have NEVER missed a bill or had a late payment.

These issues for this month are an issue with Wells Fargo and howit reports to Quicken (whihc appears different than most financial instutions) and how Quicken interprets the data sent. AND, changes between billers and Quicken's aggregator and likely so many possible billers that no one notices when one stops working until we report it.
  • @Bob. From what I could understand, it seems you are having issues with Quicken Mobile?  If not, if you use Wells Fargo for Bill Pay and have Wells Fargo CCs, I would be interested in exactly what errors you are seeing.  Wells Fargo offers DC for all their accounts.  If you have WF checking and WF CC, they offer a way to make (automatic) payments that doesn't involve Bill Pay of any kind.  Would you be able to give details, so we are better able to understand your issues?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Damian - I do not use Quicken mobile. Never have. Not anything Cloud.

Wells:I pay the CC from my Checking Account setup through Quicken. Every month. 14 years.
    Recently, it shows (properly) the debit from checking and credit to credit card.
    The payment clears. Quicken pulls in the payment to the credit card but DOES NOT match either automatically or allow a manual match to the payment already recorded during the original transaction.

Wells 2: Very recent. A week to 10 days after a proper charge is pulled into the credit card, and shows as cleared (c), it pulls the identical charge in again, also cleared, date and amount identical, etc. Cannot be matched. Requires a mnaual adjustment in the Quicken register.

These are Quicken issues. Not me, not anything I can do to change them.

I do not and choose not to use automatic payments from any account or any biller. That's why (or one primary reason) I use Quicken.

Thanks.
  • @bob.  Are you using DC for all your accounts with WF?  I am sure you have done all of the troubleshooting steps, but have you tried reinstalling Quicken?  What about a "File Copy".  Or even both?  I think there is something in your Quicken installation, or online connections, that needs to be "refreshed".
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Its a Quicken issue. Or Wells. Not my install. Not any other account. I am so confident of that. LONG time user. Observant. For example, the titles of Wells credit card payments coming in cleared changed 3 or 4 months ago. I think Quicken is looking for something different then they are now being handed to match the transaction.

If someone else that has a Wells checking and credit card and pays from one to the other through Quicken is NOT having this issue, then the possibility opens it is me. I greatly doubt it.

I have not done a validate or superbvalidate in a whie Might try that just to see what it finds.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @Bob.  I have two Quicken data files.  In those files, there are 2 WF Checking accounts, 1 WF savings account, 2 Wells Fargo credit cards, and 7 WF Investment/Retirement accounts.  All the connections are DC.  In those files, I also have other accounts that use DC, or EWC.  I have never had the issues that you describe. 
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Interesting validate. And this has nothing to do with Wells of course but...

Quicken found following future dated investment transaction (which has date more than 10 days in the future). This might cause some balances to display unexpected values.
     "Cash Management XX1056"  7/18/2079 "Opening Cash Balance"

The only thing I can think of here is the known issues surrounding the PayPal zzz conversion and incorrect opening balances there. If not that, not idea where to look!

OK, found the account name in Hidden Accounts. Ahhh, it was a Fidelity account I opened and closed. So do not understand where that entry came from but should have no effect on things for me.

Super Validate found only the same.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    @Bob.  I have two Quicken data files.  In those files, there are 2 WF Checking accounts, 1 WF savings account, 2 Wells Fargo credit cards, and 7 WF Investment/Retirement accounts.  All the connections are DC.  In those files, I also have other accounts that use DC, or EWC.  I have never had the issues that you describe. 

Do you pay your credit cards from your checking through Quicken Entering the Payment for the Credit Card as an online biller set up to be paid by the Checking Account?

If not, where are  you paying your Wells Credit card from?

And of course, all my Wells are DC.
  • I don't use Bill Pay to make CC payments.  The payments are being transferred from checking through "Pay WF Accounts" transfer option.  You can make payments this way, either automated, or manual.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    I don't use Bill Pay to make CC payments.  The payments are being transferred from checking through "Pay WF Accounts" transfer option.  You can make payments this way, either automated, or manual.

Gotcha. Likely why you are not seeing at least one of the errors I am.
    As to duplicate transactions, have you had an WF CC charges lately? Mine just started duplicating after 10 days or so.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @Bob., I have never had any duplicate charges on either WF CC.  Also, in the last 10 days I have had several charges.  I do use WF Bill Pay through online banking, in one of the data files.  Never had any issues with that either.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, duplicate just started. Original was 10 daya ago for me. So still may come in for you. And may not.

So here is an example:

The one on the bottom was added to the CC register the day I schedule WF Checking to pay. Like ALWAYS. (14 years)
    The one on top came in from WF on a OSUY. Note its also a day early.
    They did not MATCH, nor could they be matched manually.

• And I assume the amounts matched?  It looks like you may have two separate bill reminders, or memorized payees, set up.  One with a "Credit Card Payment" category and another as a transfer.  Check both Memorized Payees and your Bill Reminders for duplicates.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Amounts identical.

Did not notice previously, but the one from Wells that clears is always the day before it is scheduled to be paid.
    Only one Bill Reminder
    Only one Online Biller
    Only one Memorized Payee

All worth checking though.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    Amounts identical.

Did not notice previously, but the one from Wells that clears is always the day before it is scheduled to be paid.
    Only one Bill Reminder
    Only one Online Biller
    Only one Memorized Payee

All worth checking though.
    Quicken will not automatically match a future transaction.  If you are going to enter a future transaction, you need to manually match the transaction or reset the date of the future transaction.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    @Sjherlock - I am doing nothing different than I always do. For 14 uears. I schedule for a day. Wells pays on that day. Wells used to match the transaction when paid. NOW Quicken put the date a day earlier with a different name and does not match.

Let me check the day paid by Wells and the day credited by Wells for that February payment:

Checking says paid on 2/25
    Wells Credit Card say paid on 2/24!! Hmmm

So likely a Wells issue. They pay the day before they deduct from the account. Perhaps this is what is confusing Quicken.
    I can check, but I think this started January or February this year. Worked as expected for years before that.
  • @Bob.  I don't think those payment dates are an issue.  Usually, those dates would be the same because both accounts are at Wells Fargo and you are using WF Bill Pay.  The fact that WF deducted the payment from your CC a day before your checking account should not make any difference to the process.  I really think you need to clean up your data file, reestablish your online connections, and reinstall Quicken.  Not necessarily in that order.  Otherwise, I think you will aways be chasing your tail.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, but disagree. If issues were with more than one account I would agree with you. And all of my credit card bills are paid through Wells. This is the only one with issues.

As i mentioned, I validated. I think next, when I have time, I'll start a test file, add the credit card account and download and see how that looks. It won;t have any of my manually added adjustments, so shouldbe easy to see if payments matched the scheduled.
  • @Bob.  what you decide to do or not do, is totally up to you.  The only other thing I will tell you is that data file corruption isn't "all or nothing".  Your data file can be corrupted and not show any adverse effects until a process touches it.  Just because you only have one account currently that has issues, doesn't mean your file isn't corrupted.  There just might be an issue "lying in wait" for a process to cause your next issue.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Damian I appreciate you trying to help. The issue is neither my database nor my installation of Quicken. Trust me. I know a lot about software, databases, etc. And you might note I did not start this as a question, but a discussion. I am convinced there is an issue either with Wells Fargo or Quicken's aggregator.  I believe you do not see it because we use Quicken and Wells Fargo differently. I think there is a good chance that sometime soon you might see a duplicate credit card charge come in, but possibly not.
    I will test the CC account in another data file. I'll post if I find anything interesting.
    The AT&T account locked is either a bad message from Quicken that likely should say "account needs to be reauthorized" or communication issue between AT&T and the aggregator.
    Add in Blue Cross which is their lack of transmission to the aggregator or on the aggregator side and that is all I have so far this month.
    Maybe somone will stop by and confirm one or more of these issues or not. I'll report. I'll test and I'll see where it goes.
    Thanks.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW: I have been trying to add a Direct Connect Wells Account to my test db since Friday. Quicken reports could not connect and go to their special website to setup a direct connect. That website reports Wells Onlione Bill Pay is not available right now, apologies, etc. Yet paying my bills through exisitng Wells Direct Connect accounts in the live db work as expected.

So something odd with Wells.

If anyone would like try to add a Wells Diorect Connect to a test Quicken file and see if it works for you.

I'll do screenshots of anyone would like.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wanted to update that BOTH these issues have been solved and fixed.

Today dealing with Chase and 41.19 update. But this can be closed.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE:The Wells not matching the credit card payment is back. It comes in as a neew transaction even though the payment is in the register from sending it from checking.  It will not allow for a manual match and the only thing I can do is credit an adjustment to keep the card balance accurate. Dissapointing this has not been noticed and fixed.

This discussion has been closed.