T Rowe Price OL-301-A Error

dalehawaii
dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
Currently getting an OL-301-A error when downloading TRP Mutual Funds. Anyone else seeing this?

I'll try tomorrow to see if it resolves. 

FYI, I did set up a new/fresh test account and was able to set up my TRP accounts successfully (direct connect), but when I tried to do an update, I got the same OL-301-A error, so it's not my original file.

Again, I'll give it a day to resolve (maybe they're doing updates this evening). 
Quicken user since 1996
Quicken Home & Business Subscription

Comments

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone getting OL-301A errors with T Rowe Price today? I have been getting it on and off all morning with my account, my wife's login account works fine as does my mom's. I tried resetting accounts, with no improvement.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 2022
    Hello @dalehawaii & @Don Awalt,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you are still experiencing this error currently, then I suggest that you first save a backup (just in case), then try to refresh financial institution branding and profile by following the instructions provided below.
    1. In Quicken, select the Tools menu, then choose Online Center.
    2. Click the Financial Institution dropdown arrow and select the financial institution.
    3. Press CTRL+Shift while selecting Contact Info.
    4. Select one of the accounts associated with the bank from the dropdown list
    5. Select Financial Institution Branding and Profile from the list and click Refresh.
    6. Click OK and go online by clicking the Update/Send button.
    7. Attempt your online session again.
    Please note that we recently had a known issue with T. Rowe Price that was (and is possibly still) being worked on internally. However, the error code was different (OL-220). So it is possible that the change in the error code is a result of our backend team working to resolve the original error.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Quicken Anja, I neglected to say in my post I did those instructions you posted, and I still get the OL-301-A error.
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Thanks @Quicken Anja and @Don Awalt...Yup, I tried the branding refresh suggestion about a minute or so ago, and it didn't help. BTW, we have two TRP accounts, and like Don, one is working fine, and the other is throwing the OL-301-A error, though both appear to be downloading transactions. 
    Quicken user since 1996
  • JSLoeffl
    JSLoeffl Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue now with my TRP IRA mutual fund accounts. OL-301-A. Rebranding did not fix error. Note: Previously my TRP IRA brokerage account would not update since about May 10th. It now updates fine as of 6/3/2022, but now my TRP IRA mutual fund accounts error out. I know Quicken and TRP had been working on the issue with the brokerage accounts, but appears the fix for that on 6/3/2022 upset the apple cart now on the TRP IRA mutual fund accounts. I hope they are aware of this new issue created???
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Edited for clarity...

I called the TRP help desk 888-358-8490 and spoke with the agent to inform them of the issue. Currently they aren't aware of this error, but they mentioned the past brokerage account problem. I agree with @JSLoeffl that this might be related to the "fixes" that were made, and in turn, something else got broken.  

Additionally, I did more work today and established a fresh, new file. From there I set up the TRP account, entered the account credentials, and the respective funds (as individual accounts) downloaded successfully (no error). However, when I tried to update, I received the OL-301-A error. As I looked more closely, noticed that one of the accounts had a $0 balance, which is incorrect as I have more the $0 in that account. Typically, $0 values throw errors, so I deactivated that account, and I'm no longer getting that error when performing an update. Of note, that account (Blue Chip Growth) had been changed to an I-Class account a few months ago using the same account number as the previous non-I-Class account, which currently has a $0 balance since its funds were transferred to the I-Class account. The I-Class account worked well before this weekend, so maybe TRP is now pointing to the old account after their fix for the brokerage accounts? I really don't know.

Key point...one of the accounts is receiving via direct connect as an inaccurate $0 balance. Deactivating that account silences the error, but this is not a viable solution as we need to download data to keep our portfolio current.

Since the TRP help desk is closed now, I will try to contact them on Monday to let them know the data they're sending is incorrect.  
    Quicken user since 1996
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @dalehawaii for the update. This morning is day 3 for me getting the OL-301-A errors. Oddly it does seem to be user-based, as my Mom and wife's logins work fine with different mutual fund accounts. All of our accounts are mutual funds or IRA. We probably have some $0 accounts on the T Rowe Price side from the conversion a while ago to I Class accounts - but it has been working fine since that happened up until this weekend, and no $0 accounts show up in my account list. 

I find it odd that if this was due to a change on the Quicken end in attempting to fix another error, that they did it over the weekend when there is no help if a problem is introduced that affects users. Most places won't do that. Not the best practice to be sure.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here's some potentially important debugging information - it's definitely related to one or more specific fund accounts it is choking on. My user name at T Rowe has 18 funds. I set up a brand new user/data file in Quicken, and connected to my T Rowe, but I only added 3 accounts with online connection. It worked fine! I then added the other 15, and it failed.

I'll see what else I can learn - it may be hard to figure out the offending accounts if there is more than one, which there likely is; I will say one of the 3 accounts when it worked did have an old I Class account with $0 balance  (that does not show up), so it's not directly connected to ALL accounts converted from I Class. 
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK finished my testing, for me out of 18 accounts, the error only occurs if Blue Chip Growth is connected for downloads. I did this to verify:

1. Created a new empty test file
    2. Added all 18 TRP accounts
    3. One Step Update - Ol-301-A error
    4. Deactivated Online Setup just for Blue Chip Growth
    5. One Step Update - complete without error!
    6. Opened my regular data file
    7. One Step Update - Ol-301-A error
    8. Deactivated Online Setup just for Blue Chip Growth
    9. One Step Update - complete without error!
    10. Reactivated Blue Chip Growth for online/downloads
    11. Again, back to OL-301-A error on One Step Update.

There may be other accounts, but this seems to indicate it's mutual fund account specific.
  • Robert Tate
    Robert Tate Member ✭✭
    I had been seeing the OL-301A error since Friday night. I am no longer seeing the error as of 12:00 PM CDT. I did not isolate my failure to a specific account, but my TRP profile has similar characteristics to what "Don Await" described.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up @Robert Tate, I just tried and mine is working now too even with the Blue Chip Growth fund that did not work! Hopefully it's fixed for good now. 
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    Great detective work, fellow Quicken community members. It's been a busy day at my regular (day) job, so I'm getting back to this issue this evening. I have good news to report that it's working for me, too. 

For the technically inclined here's the hotwash from TRP support from a voicemail they kindly left today: In essence they looked at the error in my OFXLOG.txt and determined it was caused by incorrect data in a BCI fund (maybe Blue Chip I-Class...? That's my uneducated guess.). They refreshed the data and that appears to have solved the issue. 

Personally, I'm quite impressed with the response from TRP (thanks Julian!). 

Have a good week, Folks!

Quicken user since 1996
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work too, @dalehawaii!
This discussion has been closed.