Question for Citi Credit Card Downloaders

Mikey-FL
Mikey-FL Member ✭✭
I really want to move to two factor authentication for signing into my Citi web site account. however, i'm concerned about whether this will interfere with downloading citi info into quicken. the reason why i'm concerned is that there is a caution on citi web site stipulating that ativation of two factor authentication may interfere with third party apps.
can someone please help and answer if citi download into quicken is affected by two factor auth when going to citi web site or not. thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you are able to access your accounts at Citi Cards, you may use the Direct Connect connection method regardless of whether you have enabled multiple factor authentication to the financial institution's web site.

If you're not already using the Direct Connect connection method with your Citi Cards account registers, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all account registers available with Citi Cards and clear the name of the financial institution on the General tab of the Account Details window.  After you have deactivated the Online Services of both account register and cleared the financial institution name on the General tab of the Account Details window available at Citi Cards, select Tools > Add Account..., search for Citi Cards, select Advanced Options, and choose Direct Connect.  After you authenticate, Quicken should provide a list of the available accounts and allow you to link the account to the appropriate existing registers.

You may need allow Quicken access to your Citi account at https://citi.com/datamanagement 

Note: When we change the connection method, the initial import may present duplicate transactions which may be deleted.

• chris cicoski
    chris cicoski Member ✭✭
    I tried following these instructions for my Citi Card and it failed to even authenticate. Guess will have to switch to manual. Ugh
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Chris, go to link below.  There is a Quicken issue with the 2-Step Authentication.  I just posted a work around until Quicken provides a fix.

This is the Quicken link to follow the fix.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The whole point @Sherlock made is to switch from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect.
    Express Web Connect isn't reliable and is currently broken for Citi bank cards.

On the other hand, if you can switch to Direct Connect that is working.  At least it is working for the accounts that support it.  It is only available for credit cards, not other banking accounts, and maybe not for all Citi serviced credit cards.

It is working fine for my Costco Citi credit card.
    To change over you deactivate the account(s) for download, and then select Tools -> Add Account, and type Citi Cards (not Citibank) to get started.  Here are some more details about the procedure.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877577/faq-new-citi-cards-process-for-direct-connect
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Chris, thanks for the info.  So there must be an issue with the Quicken aggregation service that I am using.  I use the latest version of Quicken Deluxe for the Mac with the account setup for Citibank Quicken Connect.   If I switch to the setup you suggest, it sounds like I will get duplicates of all history on the account and have to delete the dups.  Is there an easy way to delete dups in Quicken Deluxe for the Mac?

Thanks again.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bosco I would bet there is an easy way to delete the duplicate transactions in Quicken Mac, but I don't use it so I wouldn't know the details.  I recommend that you post that question in a Quicken Mac category.  This one is for Quicken Windows.

Note it is possible that you might not get duplicates.  It all depends on where the unique Id for each transaction is coming from when you use Quicken Connect.  If coming directly from the financial institution, they it might not change.  If Intuit is generating it, then it will change.
    Signature:
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I suspect the Intuit aggregator has it's own unique transaction ID and it wouldn't match to current transactions.  Therefore....Dups.....  But if I can find an easy dup delete I would entertain the setup.  This isn't my first rodeo! ;) I can remember trying this setup along time ago and I couldn't make it work.   But since it was sooo longgg ago I might give it another try.  But I also remember deleting a lot dups when something similar happened.  :s
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bosco where the unique Id comes from for Express Web Connect/Quicken Connect is financial institution dependent.  The ones that provide Direct Connect/Web Connect are more likely to be providing the unique Id because they already have to generate date in the OFX/QFX format and that is what they choose to provide to Intuit.  Whereas if the financial institution never provided that, but instead gave Intuit say CSV then most they wouldn't be generating unique Ids, and Intuit would have to do it.

I suspect that you won't get duplicates, here is a post by a person that changed, and doesn't mention any duplicate.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20273708/#Comment_20273708
    Signature:
  • MintUserNew
    MintUserNew Member ✭✭✭
    My Citibank stopped working today, though I was having intermittent issues. I do NOT use 2-factor authentication.
  • MintUserNew
    MintUserNew Member ✭✭✭
    Wait, Citibank credit cards just started downloading again.
  • RayRay
    RayRay Member ✭✭
    This worked great for me:
    "You may need allow Quicken access to your Citi account at https://citi.com/datamanagement."
    Thanks!
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I took a leap of faith and changed to the Direct Connect.  Dups did NOT download. :) I left 2-Step authentication turned on and there were no issues.  Thanks for the input and the comments from others! 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bosco said:
    @Chris_QPW I took a leap of faith and changed to the Direct Connect.  Dups did NOT download. :) I left 2-Step authentication turned on and there were no issues.  Thanks for the input and the comments from others! 

That's great news.
    Signature:
  • sunnisue
    sunnisue Member
    citi bank credit card transactions won't download into Quicken Windows. please help!
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    @sunnisue
    Follow Chris’s link for the fix.
    Chris_QPW said:
    The whole point @Sherlock made is to switch from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect.
    Express Web Connect isn't reliable and is currently broken for Citi bank cards.

On the other hand, if you can switch to Direct Connect that is working.  At least it is working for the accounts that support it.  It is only available for credit cards, not other banking accounts, and maybe not for all Citi serviced credit cards.

It is working fine for my Costco Citi credit card.
    To change over you deactivate the account(s) for download, and then select Tools -> Add Account, and type Citi Cards (not Citibank) to get started.  Here are some more details about the procedure.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877577/faq-new-citi-cards-process-for-direct-connect 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    gregory13 said:
    There have been issues with downloading Citi transactions for about nine months that I’m aware of and this is a known issue to Quicken. I received an update from Quicken a couple of days ago stating “This issue is still ongoing and we do not have an ETA available at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.” I’ve received Thai same message multiple times! Imagine having and knowing about an issue for nine months and the best update they can provide is that they have no clue when it will be fixed. However this doesn’t stop Quicken from sending an email informing users that they are raising their process, like the email they sent me today! Ridiculous! How about fixing this and give me a fully functioning by product before you raise my rates!
    There was a time when these alerts were only updated when there was something meaningful to add.  Unfortunately, many users complained they wanted updates at least once a week so here we are.  Moderators paste a meaningless post in every alert once a week.  We have this ability to be notified when an alert is updated but we're spammed if we use the feature because some number of users believe the post in some way means an issue hasn't been dropped.

Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method if available instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank  
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @gregory13 , I have seen alerts by Quicken about Citi connectivity issues in the past which has puzzled me, and further I agree with @Sherlock some alerts are premature or outdated.
    I have both, Citi bank accounts (setup as EWC) and Citi credit cards (setup as DC) and all have been working without any errors or issues. That suggests that the unfortunate issue you are experiencing is somewhat isolated.
    If it were me, this is what I would do to troubleshoot: I'd deactivate one Citi account in the existing Quicken file.  Then create a brand new blank Quicken data file and add only-and-only 'that' Citi accounts to it and see how it behaves in this new data file.
    [Note that Citi requires authorization on their website when adding/activating an account in Quicken as mentioned in one of the posts above as well, otherwise it will fail to activate]
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    gregory13 said:
    Sherlock, I’ve tried every method numerous times as have others. The Citi issue is not about how you connect - it’s an Intuit issue in “talking” with Citi. They have acknowledged this. My complaint isn’t about the alerts, it’s about the fact that they haven’t repaired an issue that has been a known issue for nearly a year!
    Only the Express Web Connect connection method has Intuit talking” with Citi.  In my experience, most financial institution specific Express Web Connect method issues are resolved by Intuit in a few weeks to a few months but other issues may persist for longer.  The only ongoing alert the Quicken moderators have posted at this time for a Citi issue was posted on 4/5/2022 and is specific to use of the Express Web Connect connection method: ONGOING 6/13/22 Citibank Citi Cards CC-502/FDP-102
This discussion has been closed.