Can I exclude a specific transaction from my spending report tab?

Options
Rlupo
Rlupo Member ✭✭
Is there a way to exclude specific transactions from appearing in my spending report. Is there a category I can set up that is neither income or spending that does not show up on the canned reports? For instance, reconciliation balances from years ago show up as spending in my reports, and the only way I have been able to avoid them showing up in my reports is to categorize them as income, which screws up my income reports. Tks

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is not clear which report you are using, but generally you can click on the gear at the top right of a report to customize it. On the Categories tab, the default is to include all Categories, but you can exclude any categories you want from the report by selecting the Include only Transactions with selected Categories option and un-checking the ones you don't want.

So if you have some transactions you don't want to see, you could assign them to a category of Ignore or whatever and then exclude that category from the report. You will just have to remember that you changed those transactions if you want to see them again  

If you will be running the same report regularly, you can save it so you don't have to make the selection each time.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rlupo
    Rlupo Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tks for responding Jim, under the all transactions tab is a default spending report, it does allow me to add or ignore accounts but not categories. For instance I recently I had a large expense that was a one time expense (house purchase) that I don't want to show up on my spending reports, however because it went through my checking account I can't find a way to exclude this specific transaction from the default report.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Others have suggested using a tag for this.  Use the tag on the transactions you want to exclude, and then exclude that tag in the report.  That way you can still categorize it how you like.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rlupo said:
    Tks for responding Jim, under the all transactions tab is a default spending report, it does allow me to add or ignore accounts but not categories. For instance I recently I had a large expense that was a one time expense (house purchase) that I don't want to show up on my spending reports, however because it went through my checking account I can't find a way to exclude this specific transaction from the default report.
    I reread this and see that you are in the Spending tab, so my other post isn't what you want.

The Spending tab isn't what people tend to think it is.  It isn't a "report".  And as such it isn't very customizable.  You need to go to Reports -> Banking -> Spending and select one of these and customize it and save it for later.  You can also put it on the tool bar (right click on the tool bar and select to customize it, and then "Add or Remove Saved Reports...").

The Spending tab is actually used as the "Results" for several functions in Quicken.
    For instance, on the Home tab "Classic Dashboard" -> "See Where Your Money Goes" if you select "Examine Your Spending" it will take you to the Spending tab filtered based on what is set in "See Where Your Money Goes".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To "hide" this house purchase transaction or those balance adjustments you mentioned make them into "transfers to the same account". Quicken uses this method to establish the Opening Balance of an account without making it appear as an Income or Expense in any views or reports.
    So, if the house purchase transaction is in an account named "My New House", categorize this transaction as a transfer to "[My New House]". Category name surrounded by [square brackets] makes it a transfer. Quicken will prompt you about a "transfer back into the same account". In this case, it's OK to do so.
    Do the same for all the balance adjustments, past and future.
  • Rlupo
    Rlupo Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank You.
This discussion has been closed.