Meta changed its symbol from FB to META - Best Way to Change Put and Call Options on Meta?

a1newman
a1newman Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I own a number of Meta options. When Meta changed its symbol from FB to META, Quicken asked whether I wanted to rename some of the options. Some of the changes were good and accepted. Others had wrong expiration dates and/or strike prices and I indicated those were different securities. Now I want to know if editing the security name, for those that were wrong and not accepted, results in the same result if Quicken had offered the rename and it was correct and accepted? If not, is there a way to replicate what was done by Quicken on the accepted correct ones?

Best Answer

• a1newman
    a1newman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Since there were about a dozen transactions the best solution was to modify each one to the new name. So
    FB Jun 10 2022 200 Call (Weekly)
    became
    META Jun 10 2022 200 Call (Weekly)
    in the transaction.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to your broker, did the Options actually change symbols/names? I'm assuming that you originally owned FB options.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• a1newman
    a1newman Member ✭✭
    Yes the symbols and names of the options changed according to everyone. Yes they were FB options for the stock Meta as Facebook changed its name months ago to Meta but changed its symbol from FB to META only this week.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like Enter Transaction > Corporate Name Change is the action to use here.  Assuming you've created option names along the lines of [Put/Call] [Corporate name] [Strike price] [Expiration date] or similar, you'd have to rename each option individually.
  • a1newman
    a1newman Member ✭✭
    > @Tom Young said:
    > It seems like Enter Transaction > Corporate Name Change is the action to use here.  Assuming you've created option names along the lines of [Put/Call] [Corporate name] [Strike price] [Expiration date] or similar, you'd have to rename each option individually.

That method doesn't work as the new name chosen is already in use as it was downloaded from the broker. In fact my suggestion to edit the security name fails for the same reason.
  • a1newman
    a1newman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Since there were about a dozen transactions the best solution was to modify each one to the new name. So
    FB Jun 10 2022 200 Call (Weekly)
    became
    META Jun 10 2022 200 Call (Weekly)
    in the transaction.
This discussion has been closed.