Reducing data file size by moving transactions to a new data file

Bmore
Bmore Member ✭✭
I'm told by Q support that I need to reduce the very large size (306,000 KB) of my data file to get Q to perform. OK.

I'm trying to select a range of covering 2020, 2021 and 2022 to date. Following Shift-click to select multiple transactions in an account in my old data file, I go to the new file, open the appropriate account, click on gear logo, but the :"Paste Transaction" is grayed out or not available. I'm stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copy/Paste does not work across files.
    You need to look into Year End Copy: FAQ - Year End Copy

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    There is no good evidence that data file size impacts performance and we generally don't recommend removing data from your file because once it's removed, you can't easily put it back.
    Large investment registers can impact that particular account; this impact may be reduced by archiving transactions from that one account.

Cut'n'paste is not a good way to get rid of old transactions. Look a the File Copy command if you feel you really must do this.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Bmore said: I'm told by Q support that I need to reduce the very large size (306,000 KB) of my data file to get Q to perform.
    bogus information - file size has not been shown to impact Quicken performance...
    And why lose all your historical data ?
    Here is my Qdata file - ...   Help --> CTRL + About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bmore
    Bmore Member ✭✭
    Thanks all. When I try to "Create a copy or template," Q runs, but ends with a window "File NOT copied."
    Of course, no change to the data file. Stumped
  • Bmore
    Bmore Member ✭✭
    And I would like to keep all my data!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bmore said:
    And I would like to keep all my data!
    I suspect your Quicken file may be corrupt.  If you do not have a good Quicken file backup, I suggest you perform the Copy and Validate Instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  You may be able to coerce Quicken into stepping over the corruption by pressing the Ctrl + Shift keys when selecting Save Copy.
  • Bmore
    Bmore Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Due to your advice and encouragement, I'm back and I have all my data. Many thanks to the community. [Removed-Disruptive]
  • fda2f6fc
    fda2f6fc Member ✭✭
    My experience deleting or moving transactions to reduce file size about 3 years ago did nothing to reduce the file size. It stayed the same. Has that changed?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    The data file size has not proven to impact performance as others mentioned here.  However, due to an issue in my data file, I had to create a new one and transfer (QIF Import) ALL my data.  My file size reduced to approx tenth.  To be clear, I didn't delete any of my 10 years of data.  I exported/imported everything I could and manually recreated anything that was not importable.  Hence the old and new files are identical, just the sizes are different.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just deleting transactions or accounts does reduce the file's size, Quicken marks the space as deleted and then uses it in the future as needed.  In the past you would need to do a transaction level file copy to reduce the file's size after the deletions.
    I believe that doing a File copy:

reduces the file's size, but it also removes all of the online connections, so they would need to be re-established.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    BK said:
    The data file size has not proven to impact performance as others mentioned here.  However, due to an issue in my data file, I had to create a new one and transfer (QIF Import) ALL my data.  My file size reduced to approx tenth.  To be clear, I didn't delete any of my 10 years of data.  I exported/imported everything I could and manually recreated anything that was not importable.  Hence the old and new files are identical, just the sizes are different.
    There is a lot of data in a Quicken file we can not transfer using QIF files or manually recreate.  So, the old and new files are not identical although you may find the data in the new file to be sufficient.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Fair enough @Sherlock and thank you.  So I will rephrase that the two files provide an identical usage and historical data on the features that I use.  The new file is an optimized version of the old one.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.