Multiple lines for the same security in report

CaptainMurray
CaptainMurray Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Why does the portfolio report show this entry when all shares have been sold?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That display would indicate that you somehow have two copies of the security in your data file and you closed out your position by selling the wrong one, which already had zero shares.

I suggest you back up your data file just in case, then go to a Portfolio view and click on the name of the security that now has negative shares. Hopefully you will see that the last transaction is a Sell, or maybe a Short Sale. Delete that transaction and enter the Sell for the other copy of the security.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am suspicious that you now have both a long position and a short position in the same security. Since they are the same number of shares they net to zero and it only appears all shares are sold. 

I’m not sure how that happens unintentionally but it seems to for some users at some times. I would closely examine the selling transaction. Make sure the dating is correct, that the shares being sold are correct. You may need to delete and re-enter the sale. 

Also make sure the sale is recorded in the correct account, which may be the direction @Jim_Harman was heading. 
  • CaptainMurray
    CaptainMurray Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your comments. I tried deleting all transactions and reentered them. Same issue it was duplicated. Then I tried changing the ShtSell to sold and that cleared it up.

Thanks for your assistance.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious why you had the ShtSell to begin with.  Was that from brokerage download, and intended entry by you, something Quicken changed or misapplied?
  • CaptainMurray
    CaptainMurray Member ✭✭
    It was downloaded from my financial institution.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What financial institution and what download method?  I can't remember ever receiving a short sell action from my broker.  (Of course, "can't remember" isn't the same as "it never happened.")
  • CaptainMurray
    CaptainMurray Member ✭✭
    Ameriprise Financial - Direct Connect
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not trying to beat a dead horse since you got this resolved, but ,,, 
    Was this perhaps a day-trade situation where the shares were bought and sold the same day and the sell happened to record before the buy?  (Very doubtful since it seems to be a mutual fund.)
    Or 
    Perhaps some sort of account change where the shares were added to the account and sold the same day - again such that the sale got recorded as a short sale before the shares were added into the Quicken account.
    Or
    Maybe just of case of __it happens.
  • CaptainMurray
    CaptainMurray Member ✭✭
    Shares were bought 11 days before they were sold in a managed account. the 1st line on the display was a 'Bought' then the second line was a 'ShtSell'. Same number of shares and price on both transactions.
This discussion has been closed.