Data File Password Quit Working

Options
I successfully logged into Quicken on my MacBook Pro just prior to going on a two week vacation. When I returned from vacation and tried to log into Quicken, Quicken for Mac would not recognize my data file password. Interestingly enough, my password worked to get into the Quicken website. After spending about four hours over two days on the phone with Apple Care Tiers 1, 2, and 3 support, Apple Care determined that they could not come up with a way for me to change or delete my data file password so my only option is to create a new data file and effectively start over. The other ramification of this is that all the transactions that I have entered previously over many years and the related balances are no longer available to me. This is totally unacceptable.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I successfully logged into Quicken on my MacBook Pro just prior to going on a two week vacation. When I returned from vacation and tried to log into Quicken, Quicken for Mac would not recognize my data file password. Interestingly enough, my password worked to get into the Quicken website. After spending about four hours over two days on the phone with Apple Care Tiers 1, 2, and 3 support, Apple Care determined that they could not come up with a way for me to change or delete my data file password so my only option is to create a new data file and effectively start over. The other ramification of this is that all the transactions that I have entered previously over many years and the related balances are no longer available to me. This is totally unacceptable.
    [Disregard - Windows]
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Quicken Jared Unless I'm mistaken, the password removal tool works for Quicken Windows, but not for Quicken Mac. The article you linked to says: "The Password Removal Tool … will not work on data files for Quicken for Mac." Since Steve is a Quicken Mac user, this reply is therefore inaccurate.

@Steve29689 The password you use for Quicken.com is completely independent of the password you may use on a Quicken Mac data file. You could have different passwords; you could have several data files, each with their own passwords.

Have you tried opening one of your Quicken backup data files from prior to your vacation? If you somehow managed to change the password on your data file before you went away, it would not affect the password for backups of data files saved previously.

(Separate question: do you type the password each time you launch Quicken? Do you have a Mac with Touch ID, and did you enable Quicken to use Touch ID for your password?)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.