R41.10 manual Mondo install

Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
So... I manually downloaded the Mondo patch and installed it.
- after clicking on the downloaded EXE - if took 10 secs for anything to happen
- received my Windows security prompt to allow install
- it took 30 secs for any Quicken install activity screens - thought it was dead -
- after completed - at bottom of Quicken Install screen -
said it was Backed Up - it was NOT.... have seen the Rxx backups when Quicken normally finds a new install and wants to install it - DID NOT get that same backup file. WARNING.
- ok.... Starting R10.10 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Updates have become an inherent problem, and personally I think it's gonna break the proverbial backs of Quicken if the issues with bad updates aren't fixed. The new ones are just getting worse and worse, creating more issues that they are fixing!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't get a backup created because that is a function of the Quicken program, not the patch release.  This is not new, it has been that way since they started making the backups when upgrading.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    splasher said: You didn't get a backup created because that is a function of the Quicken program, not the patch release.  This is not new, it has been that way since they started making the backups when upgrading.
    But it said it did.... was going to grab a screen shot - but just clicked thru.
    Walked thru the install again -
    - click the Mondo EXE - nothing for 60 secs - think it is dead or click again, pity poor muggles
    - receive my Windows security UAC prompt to allow software install
    - 90 secs go by with nothing happening on the screen - again, think everything is dead...
    - finally the Quicken install screen.... appears to say "Downloading" and then "installing" and then "downloading" - weird...
    - loops thru this status displays lines a couple of times... then Extracting ....
    - at end receive the screen as shown - and at the bottom ...
    Yup - it says it was Backed Up - but it wasn't - and the "i" circle text says exactly what we would expect, but didn't.
    When you re-use a software module that has a screen that implies some task was performed,
    but the other module that performs that task was never invoked - Quicken is running vs Mondo patch install -
    you get this dangerous mis-information situation displayed to the user.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It lies.

As @splasher said it is Quicken that creates the backup, as in it does it just before it kicks off the install.
    When you run the manual patch and Quicken isn't involved it never creates a backup.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sharing - and the install instructions never mention to make a - Manual Backup - prior to performing the install -
    And which browser has the downloading status in the "bottom left corner" ? - I hate it when folks give instructions for THEIR system and the way it works on THEIR screen or monitor - as if the entire world is running the exact same setup -
    1. Click on the link above for the update you prefer (these steps apply to both).
    2. In the bottom left corner of your browser, click Open file when the download is complete.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.
    4. When finished, you can verify the release version of Quicken by selecting the Help menu in the software and choosing About Quicken.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I remember for the longest time after they stopped backing up Quicken before the install, it still said that it was going to do it.  It wasn't until pretty recently they brought the feature back.

It is unfortunate, but a fact that you can't trust everything they tell you.

Yes, it important to point these things out and you should do Help -> Report a problem, but this isn't new.

You can try installing any of the old manual patches and you will get the same result.
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, during the patch upgrade, one of the bullets is "Backing up files" (emphasis on the s).  I have no idea which files it is referring to, but Quicken has never backed multiple QDF files (or file sets) during a Backup.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    Updates have become an inherent problem, and personally I think it's gonna break the proverbial backs of Quicken if the issues with bad updates aren't fixed. The new ones are just getting worse and worse, creating more issues that they are fixing!
    Hi @"TTSguy ,

Updates are not bad. Updates going through Quicken program should be backed up, if NO Recent  Auto Backups exist.

Updates using the Mondo Patch for the Quicken Program aren't made, because you should be doing Manual Backups, prior to running the Mondo Patch. If you don't back up, manually, then Auto Backups using the Mondo Patch, are not made.

I run CCleaner Free, daily as well as running Glary Utilities 5, too, daily. Helps to speed up the computer.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    I have learned (the hard way) to do a manual backup before I make any major changes to, or updates to, my data file.  I have even copied the Quicken directory (in Documents) to an external drive, if I am unsure of the outcome.  I don't trust the "Your Data File was Automatically Backed Up".  I want to see the backup file BEFORE any changes are made.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW if it isn't obvious to people there are real roadblocks in having the install backup your data files.

If you are in Quicken, in a given data file and it is just about to run the install, it knows both about the current data file and the current version of Quicken you are running.  And as such it can back it up and use the current version of your data file.  As for other data files it is questionable that Quicken would even know where they are, but even more importantly whether they should be backed up.  For instance someone might have a ton of "yearly archives".

When the install runs by itself it has none of this information.  And again, it would be questionable for it to just go find Quicken data files and back them up.
    Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it frustrating for all the Super Users to have a somewhat logical understanding of everything discussed here, but unable to understand where the developers heads are in regards to this stuff?

You'd think the personnel that are getting PAID to know and fix this stuff would have an understanding of the issues, and know where to go to correct them. I have an idea where they are getting the developers...!
This discussion has been closed.