Hide or Remove Account?

My spouse and I are using a single Quicken, and we are trying to track our accounts completely separately.

ETrade has combined our accounts under one logon and I am trying to separate them at Quicken.

I know how to completely hide accounts, but at the bottom of the list it shows 'Separate' and then the total dollar amount. I don't want my spouse to know how much money is in the separate accounts.

How do I keep Quicken from showing the dollar amount in the accounts that have been hidden? Remove?

Answers

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    When  I read "completely separately" I'm going to assume you don't have ANY joint accounts you both want to track. Then, off the cuff, I'd suggest two separate Quicken files. Your file only has your accounts, including your E*TRADE accounts, your wife's file only has her accounts. 

When setting up downloads for your file, use the common E*TRADE login, and when you see the list of all your E*TRADE accounts on that login, select to link to your existing accounts, but select to ignore the accounts you don't want in your file. Similarly for your wife's file--she logs in using the common E*TRADE login, links to her existing accounts, and she selects to ignore your accounts.

Although you are using the same E*TRADE login, each separate Quicken file knows which accounts it has to update and which to ignore when downloading.
  • Why don't you use two different Quicken data files?  One for you and one for your wife?
  • rkmacdonald
    rkmacdonald Member ✭✭
    > @jtemplin said:
    > When  I read "completely separately" I'm going to assume you don't have ANY joint accounts you both want to track. Then, off the cuff, I'd suggest two separate Quicken files. Your file only has your accounts, including your E*TRADE accounts, your wife's file only has her accounts.
    >

Agreed. I am trying to set up two separate Quicken files.

> When setting up downloads for your file, use the common E*TRADE login, and when you see the list of all your E*TRADE accounts on that login, select to link to your existing accounts, but select to ignore the accounts you don't want in your file. Similarly for your wife's file--she logs in using the common E*TRADE login, links to her existing accounts, and she selects to ignore your accounts.
    >

This is what I wanted to do, but when connecting to ETrade, I never saw an option to choose which accounts to import. Quicken simply imported them all.

That's why I was trying to figure out how to remove all her accounts from mine and all my accounts from hers in Quicken. That's what I don't know how to do.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to keep your spouse from seeing the content or value of any of your accounts is to have separate data files and password the data file.
    If you use QMobile or Q-Web, there is no way to keep them from seeing that information if you only have one Quicken Id since they do not respect the data file password.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• rkmacdonald
    rkmacdonald Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > The only way to keep your spouse from seeing the content or value of any of your accounts is to have separate data files and password the data file.If you use QMobile or Q-Web, there is no way to keep them from seeing that information if you only have one Quicken Id since they do not respect the data file password.

At this point, I am only using a Windows PC desktop and a Windows Laptop. Haven't tried the mobile or web options.
  • rkmacdonald
    rkmacdonald Member ✭✭
    > @Damian said:
    > Why don't you use two different Quicken data files?  One for you and one for your wife?

That's what I am trying to do. The problem is that ETrade did not offer the option of choosing which accounts to import. All were imported to both of our Quicken data files.
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

This is what I wanted to do, but when connecting to ETrade, I never saw an option to choose which accounts to import. Quicken simply imported them all.

That's why I was trying to figure out how to remove all her accounts from mine and all my accounts from hers in Quicken. That's what I don't know how to do.
    That's unexpected. Regardless of financial institution, I'm always shown the screen to pick and choose which accounts to link and those to ignore. Unfortunately, I don't have an E*TRADE account to test this for you.

What I would try next: make a copy of your Quicken file just to test this: let Quicken add all the accounts, then delete the accounts that you don't want. See if E*TRADE One Step Update complains about the missing accounts. If not, that's a workable solution for you.
  • @rkmacdonald - I don't know why E*Trade would combine your accounts, but you should to back to E*Trade and ask them to separate out the accounts again and restore access as before.   
  • rkmacdonald
    rkmacdonald Member ✭✭
    > @jtemplin said:
    > That's unexpected. Regardless of financial institution, I'm always shown the screen to pick and choose which accounts to link and those to ignore. Unfortunately, I don't have an E*TRADE account to test this for you.
    >
    I have used Quicken in the past, and that's what I expected as well. I was very surprised when I didn't get that option.

> What I would try next: make a copy of your Quicken file just to test this: let Quicken add all the accounts, then delete the accounts that you don't want. See if E*TRADE One Step Update complains about the missing accounts. If not, that's a workable solution for you.

This is what was going to try, but I was afraid of unintended consequences, and decided to post my question here first.

I still wonder if I simply missed the option to select individual accounts at ETrade. I may delete one of the Quicken Data Files and recreate that one with only the ETrade accounts. That way, I can carefully watch for the option to select only the Etrade accounts I want.

Thanks!
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    @rkmacdonald I'm curious how you made out. Did deleting the extra accounts work?
  • rkmacdonald
    rkmacdonald Member ✭✭
    @jtemplin I did confirm that I definitely was not offered an option from ETrade to select which accounts to use. It was all ETrade accounts or none. I started to set up a new file with all the ETrade accounts and then remove the ones I didn't want in each of the two Quicken accounts. However, I planned to call ETrade and ask them about it but haven't done that yet. I still think there must be some better way to do this. I'll post here after I get it all figured out. Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    On the first time you download from a financial institution Quicken will sometimes just include all the accounts not asking which ones you want.  I'm sure some marketing guy thought that was a time saver for new users.  And you just have to delete the ones you don't want.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.