Adding a stand-alone/archive-only bank account in Quicken Deluxe?

REJones
REJones Member ✭✭
Background: Last March, I closed my SunTrust Bank checking account, and a few days later I created a Backup QIF file of the SunTrust data, then deleted the SunTrust acct from my QD. I then opened a new PNC Bank checking account several days later. This new PNC Bank checking account is working fine with QD’s Direct Connect/Bank Bill Pay, One Step Update, etc. So, only the active PNC checking account is currently set up in my QD. No other account exists in my QD.
Issue: I would now like to set up in QD an archived record/ledger of all my SunTrust Bank checking acct transactions, by restoring the SunTrust Backup file from last March (I guess). I envision having a SunTrust tab in QD, which would open a standard ledger listing all past SunTrust checking acct transactions, and this SunTrust account and its archived ledger would have no effect nor interaction with my established PNC account in QD, such as when using One Step Update for my PNC account.
If this doable in QD, please provide the steps required. Any suggestions or cautions are welcome.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @REJones

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question. 

Are you wanting a separate file for the SunTrust history? If so, you can restore a backup, however, there will not be a "tab" for that. Instead, to access the history after a backup has been restored, you would find it at the bottom of the list in the File menu. The file with a checkmark displayed in front of it is always the file that is currently open (just so you are aware).

I am looking forward to hearing your response!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the quick response, though I'm not sure how to reply.
    What do you mean by SunTrust "history"; is it the same as transaction history?
    When I look at my File menu, the SunTrust backup file is the second file in a list of 4 files, and the first file has the check mark for the PNC Bank data, as expected.
    If I select and restore the SunTrust backup file, will the SunTrust transaction history be displayed in a ledger?
    When I'm done examining the SunTrust history/ledger, how do I return to my active PNC Bank ledger?
    Before I do anything with the SunTrust backup file, should I first do a backup of the PNC bank data?
    I'm very hesitant to restore the SunTrust backup file without first knowing whether it will (or could) affect my PNC bank data. It feels like I'm walking in unchartered territory. :)
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @REJones

Thank you for responding, I would be happy to clear some things up for you!

To answer some of your questions:

If I select and restore the SunTrust backup file, will the SunTrust transaction history be displayed in a ledger?
    • Yes, however, if the backup is already displayed as 2nd in the list, then you won't need to restore a backup and can just click that file located at the bottom of the file menu.
    When I'm done examining the SunTrust history/ledger, how do I return to my active PNC Bank ledger?
    • By going to the File menu and selecting the data file that contains the PNC account (this will now show as second in the list due to opening the SunTrust file).
    Before I do anything with the SunTrust backup file, should I first do a backup of the PNC bank data?
    • This is not required, however, you are more than welcome to. We do always recommend saving backups before proceeding with troubleshooting steps or before making changes (just in case). 
    I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you are clear.  You have 2 separate data files with accounts in them.   You only can have 1 data file open at a time.   So you have to switch between them.  Just by clicking on the file in the list at the bottom of the File tab.  The old data file won't be part of your current real data file and won't affect it. 

Do you want the old Sun Trust account transactions added to your current file either in the same account or as a different account?  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Thank you Quicken Jasmine and volvogirl!
    With your clear responses, I was able to accomplish my objective confidently! My intent with the old SunTrust acct transactions is to keep it as a separate archived transaction record for occasional reference, when needed. Thanks again for making this simple and easy!
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @REJones

You are very welcome, I am glad that we could assist you!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    REJones said: Background: Last March, I closed my SunTrust Bank checking account, and a few days later I created a Backup QIF file of the SunTrust data, then deleted the SunTrust acct from my QD.
    For future reference - you can take any old Quicken Account - and merely mark them as "Separate" and they will not show up in any reports, but will be avail toward the bottom of the Quicken Account List.... can even hide that if you [x].  This way, they will always be avail for review, but not impact any of the data or reports....
    You can also [x] for the Quicken Account to be marked as Closed and Hidden...
    I do this for ALL my old accounts going back years... So, in my one QDF file, I have ALL my financial history.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    This is good info! Thanks for the help, which I will definitely use.
This discussion has been closed.