Anything going on with transaction updates this weekend (OL-297-A error)

RJ_Q
RJ_Q Member ✭✭
For the past couple of days I've been attempting to update my transactions. All of the accounts generate the 297 error. I don't even seem to be able to update quotes. It's been a while since I ran Update but I ran Quotes last week with no problem. I've followed the online recommendations for this error with no success.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    RJ_Q said:
    For the past couple of days I've been attempting to update my transactions. All of the accounts generate the 297 error. I don't even seem to be able to update quotes. It's been a while since I ran Update but I ran Quotes last week with no problem. I've followed the online recommendations for this error with no success.
    Hello @RJ_Q

I am sorry to hear about this issue with OL-297 Error messages. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community.

First, when did this begin? Also, how many accounts are being affected? Lastly, which financial institutions are associated with the affected account(s)? I can provide further information once I have the answers to these questions. 

I look forward to hearing your responses and I hope to work with you on this in the future, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared,
    The last time I successfully ran OneStep was about a month ago. The last time I updated quotes was about a week ago (although I can't confirm it actually worked). All 5 of my accounts used to work. It appears you may be having an issue with Vanguard and that is one of the 5. I've also tried TDAmeritrade and Fidelity. They all fail with the same error. When I update quotes it takes about a second then says "Saving" and closes the dialog box. I checked one stock and it wasn't updated.
  • Quicken Jared
    RJ_Q said:
    Hi Jared,
    The last time I successfully ran OneStep was about a month ago. The last time I updated quotes was about a week ago (although I can't confirm it actually worked). All 5 of my accounts used to work. It appears you may be having an issue with Vanguard and that is one of the 5. I've also tried TDAmeritrade and Fidelity. They all fail with the same error. When I update quotes it takes about a second then says "Saving" and closes the dialog box. I checked one stock and it wasn't updated.
    Hello @RJ_Q

I am sorry to hear that this issue is continuing across multiple accounts. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly with the answers to my earlier questions.

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is located on your computer and not in an external drive or cloud-based storage system. 

Also, have you already made use of the steps listed in the Support Article linked here regarding the TDAmeritrade and Fidelity accounts? If so, I would be eager to hear more about this. Pay special attention to the section entitled, 'Update your internet security settings.' 

Next, save a backup by navigating into the same menu previously mentioned and choosing File > Copy or Backup File... then make use of the steps provided below:

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope to hear back from you about your results when you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    The file is not on my system drive but it is on an internal hard drive.

Yes, I had gone through the support article before I contacted you. Everything looked good. I don't think anything should have changed. However, I did notice that some stock prices had been updated and not others. I think this may have happened when I transferred some of them between accounts, not from a quote update request. The updated pricing for some was on the day of the transfer. Others were on 6/10/22 so maybe earlier updates didn't work.

The Validate found some transactions that need work and also the following (not the complete output):
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
    Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 22/1/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited July 2022
    RJ_Q said:
    The file is not on my system drive but it is on an internal hard drive.

Yes, I had gone through the support article before I contacted you. Everything looked good. I don't think anything should have changed. However, I did notice that some stock prices had been updated and not others. I think this may have happened when I transferred some of them between accounts, not from a quote update request. The updated pricing for some was on the day of the transfer. Others were on 6/10/22 so maybe earlier updates didn't work.

The Validate found some transactions that need work and also the following (not the complete output):
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
    Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 22/1/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
    Hello @RJ_Q

I am sorry that the resolution to this issue remains somewhat unclear at the moment. Thank you for continuing to work with me on this problem. 

Save another backup, then try proceeding through these additional troubleshooting instructions:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue remains unresolved, it may be beneficial to submit program log files regarding this issue by navigating to Help > Report a Problem, and then providing a brief description and any possible screenshots of these errors. You can do this both for the accounts affected that are associated with Fidelity as well as TD Ameritrade. Please note that these logs are purely for investigative purposes and you will not receive a response through this submission.

I hope this is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Do Validate or Super Validate actually repair anything or do they just generate reports? Just curious. Super is running now. I may not get back to it for a while though.
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Didn't take as long as I figured. Attempted Fidelity after completion. Still get OL-297 error. Guess I'll report a problem or call next week. Thanks Jared.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RJ_Q - Do you have a VPN turned on?  If so, you might want to turn it off and try updating your accounts again.  I have encountered this error code sometimes when I've had my VPN turned on.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    RJ_Q said:
    Do Validate or Super Validate actually repair anything or do they just generate reports? Just curious. Super is running now. I may not get back to it for a while though.
    Yes, they do repairs when they find errors/issues.  Unfortunately, the messages of what was repaired are usually pretty vague.  For instance, if the V or SV finds a category issue and corrects it that is about all the report will say...it won't tell you which category or which transactions were affected so it can take a bit of sleuthing effort to find out exactly what was fixed. 

• RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    I don't have my VPN turned on. Is there a document showing the release dates for recent updates? I'm trying to figure out if that or updates to my anti-virus s/w may be related to this issue. In the past I've heard bad things about Norton and Quicken but checking my Norton log it said it allowed network traffic for qw.exe when I attempted an update. Looking at Quickens connlog.txt it says something about being able to test a link using a web browser. I know my network works but this particular problem could be on either end. Just trying to figure out which end.
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Now that I look at my Norton log I may have been wrong about assuming Q was given access when attempting the update. I think the message may have come when Q was started. Not even sure about that. But at least Q seemed to have been given access to the network.

For what it's worth, I reinstalled both Quicken and Norton with no change in results.
  • Quicken Jared
    RJ_Q said:
    Now that I look at my Norton log I may have been wrong about assuming Q was given access when attempting the update. I think the message may have come when Q was started. Not even sure about that. But at least Q seemed to have been given access to the network.

For what it's worth, I reinstalled both Quicken and Norton with no change in results.
    Hello @RJ_Q,   

I am sorry to hear about this problem remaining unresolved. Thank you for following up with us and continuing to work with us on this issue.

One additional thing occurs to me: connection method are you currently making use of in order to add or link your accounts to online banking services? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box.

If you are making use of the Direct Connect connection method, it may be best to reach out to Fidelity or TD Ameritrade support. I recommend requesting to speak to a 'T2' representative or escalations team when doing so, as these personnel are more likely to have familiarity with third-party software, such as Quicken.

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Boatnmaniac
    It does seem odd that you are getting this error code with multiple organizations.  It also seems odd that you have not had a successful OSU in about a month. 
    I suggest you go to Help > Manage You Subscription > Check Membership Status.  Do you get a message that your membership is up to date?
    If you do, you might want to try logging out of Quicken and then signing back in:  Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user > Yes > Sign Out > when prompted, sign back in using your current Quicken ID and PW.
    Another thing you might want to try if the previous process does not resolve the issue:  Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = On > Reset your cloud data > Yes > Reset > follow the prompts.  When the process is completed, if you do not use Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web:  Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = Off > OK.

• RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. At this point I am only downloading brokerage transactions and stock quotes. Direct Connect is selected for the brokerages. But it's odd that they seem to have a failed download as the last download date. That might be a bug that needs some work. I'm not using cloud access, at least not that I'm aware of. Quicken Mobile and Web is turned off. I don't think it was ever enabled. My membership status is up to date.

Too bad I can't just verify connectivity using a browser. It's frustrating not being able to determine who is dropping the ball. I've tried disabling Norton but that didn't have any effect. It's probably not possible to go back to an earlier release just to rule that out. I did notice that some people are having issues with QFX updates. No idea if that could be related.
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    I just wanted to add that the fact I also can't download quotes would seem to indicate this is a more general problem. The quotes update screen is only up for a second or two, says "Saving" and then leaves. There's no way it would be that short unless there was no connection or it thought they were already up to date. Surprising that there is no error message so maybe it thought it worked.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2022
    @RJ_Q .  Thanks for the additional information but did you try the steps I had suggested earlier?
    It is Fidelity Investments you are trying to download from and not from Fidelity Netbenfits, right?
    BTW, I download from Fidelity Investments 1-2 times every day and very rarely encounter any issues.  So, you getting this error code for Fidelity is even more confusing to me.  The fact that you are getting this error code from both Fidelity and TD at the same time tells me that perhaps there is something amiss with your Quicken Cloud Account and that is why I suggested Signing In As A Different User and Reset Cloud Account, both of which can sometimes help resolve Cloud Account issues.

• RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Yes, it Fidelity directly. I see what you are saying but I never used a Cloud account for this. I am strictly running this on my PC so I didn't have a real need for it. I've been running this for many years. I may have run into a few issues in the past but I think they were all software issues with Q or the anti-virus software incompatibility that were eventually fixed. That's why I was curious about when recent updates were released, not that I could go back to an earlier version anyway. But I'll go out to see what is out there as you suggest. This all seems to have started within the past month. I think the last quote I show was on 6/10/22 and I've attempted to download quotes after that. The following is part of the log output after an apparent transaction download failure:

"A connection with the server could not be established. Please make sure your Internet connection is working. Your web browser can be used to verify your connection. A personal firewall may be preven"
    (it is actually chopped off that way in the log file).

The internet connection itself is definitely working but either the program is not successfully transmitting or the other end isn't responding. The firewall says it has allowed network access to qw.exe.

I've gone through the OL-279 troubleshooting guide and everything seems to check. And I don't remember making any network changes to my PC or the router. That's not to say that the internet provider didn't do any silent updates.
  • Boatnmaniac
    RJ_Q said:
    Yes, it Fidelity directly. I see what you are saying but I never used a Cloud account for this. I am strictly running this on my PC so I didn't have a real need for it. I've been running this for many years. I may have run into a few issues in the past but I think they were all software issues with Q or the anti-virus software incompatibility that were eventually fixed. That's why I was curious about when recent updates were released, not that I could go back to an earlier version anyway. But I'll go out to see what is out there as you suggest. This all seems to have started within the past month. I think the last quote I show was on 6/10/22 and I've attempted to download quotes after that. The following is part of the log output after an apparent transaction download failure:

"A connection with the server could not be established. Please make sure your Internet connection is working. Your web browser can be used to verify your connection. A personal firewall may be preven"
    (it is actually chopped off that way in the log file).

The internet connection itself is definitely working but either the program is not successfully transmitting or the other end isn't responding. The firewall says it has allowed network access to qw.exe.

I've gone through the OL-279 troubleshooting guide and everything seems to check. And I don't remember making any network changes to my PC or the router. That's not to say that the internet provider didn't do any silent updates.
    Everyone who uses Quicken subscription has a Quicken Cloud Account, regardless of whether or not Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web is used.  If Mobile and Web are not used and if Sync = Off then the information saved in the Cloud Account is mostly related to verification that you are using a validly licensed copy of Quicken, verifying the the status of your subscription and for communicating what Edition of Quicken you are using (so your computer installation is set up to run as Starter, Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business). There are some other things, too, such as EWC login information but most of the other stuff is pretty benign and doesn't include your account and financials data.
    The Cloud Account can sometimes get out of sync with your installed Quicken and/or your Quicken.com account.  Signing out and signing back in to Quicken and Resetting the Cloud Account can often fix it when that happens.
    There is another thing that caught my attention:  Which Edition of Quicken and which Version of Quicken are you running?  (You can get this from Help > About Quicken.)  A little over a month ago there was a change made and it required all users to update to a minimum version on/before 5/31.  Failure to do that would result in an inability to connect accounts or download transactions.  You can read more about it here:  Updates to Online Banking coming 5/31/22: Please ensure you're on the latest release of Quicken.

• RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    I followed your advice to logout of the Cloud acct and then log back in. That didn't have any effect. I do have Sync=Off. It's likely always been that way. My membership status is up to date.

I'm running Premiere version 41.19, Build 27.1.41.19.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Hmmm....I'm starting to run short on ideas here.  One thing you could try is to create a new data file (File > New Quicken File) and give it a unique name (TEST would be a good one).  Then try to set up your accounts in this new file.  Let me know if you were able to set up the accounts in this file.

• RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Actually I started to do that but didn't quite finish. I just added one account with one stock. Still said 'Unable to connect to internet'.

I also removed Norton completely just to rule that out. Q still didn't download, same error. I'm going to try on a Win10 virtual machine just out of curiosity. I may have another computer I can try. I can't imagine what may have changed in the past 2-3 weeks to cause this problem.
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Even though I don't know what the cause of the problem is I just wanted to pass along that, at least for me, it appears to be related to Windows 7 or some configuration therein. I suspect that a recent Quicken update is to blame but I don't have access to earlier versions to check.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2022
    When MS ended support for Win 7 back in Jan 2020, Quicken took the same path and announced it ended support for Win 7, as well.  But what's really odd is their website still shows the minimum system requirements for QW are Win 7, Win 8/8.1 and Win 10 which contradicts that.  That list also does not include Win 11, which it should.  It seems like someone is asleep at the wheel on this.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2022
    @RJ_Q - I wish I could help you more but I'm stumped and have run out of ideas for now.  If I can think of anything else I'll be sure to post back here.  Hopefully, someone else will be able to post some fresh insights/ideas.

• RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    I checked the requirements for Q before I made the latest purchase. As you said, Win7 was ok. And it didn't complain when I installed it. I guess I could ask for my money back. Or they could just fix it. I'd be glad to stay on the prior release as long as it could download what I needed, at a lower yearly cost of course.
  • @rj_q a bigger concern is, from what I understand, Windows 7 no longer receives security updates. 
  • RJ_Q
    RJ_Q Member ✭✭
    Yes, that's a fact. And one of these days I'll upgrade and purchase/build a new machine to go with it. But until then Q should still work as advertised.
This discussion has been closed.