Differences between Deluxe and Premier for Mac

Options
SeekingAssistance
SeekingAssistance Member
edited August 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Hi,

The product page says Premier has everything that Deluxe has, plus it helps you "simplify your taxes and investments" (and a few other features). How does it simplify investments compared to Deluxe?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    The product comparison charts on the website are inaccurate and misleading. The only differences between Deluxe and Premier on the Mac side are that Premier includes (1) priority access to Support, and (2) included 12 electronic and 5 check pays with Quicken Bill Pay. That's it. There's no difference as far as investment and tax support/features are concerned.

Regarding Quicken Bill Pay, if your bank supports Direct Connect Bill Pay, then Quicken Bill Pay may be redundant. Quicken does not charge for Direct Connect Bill Pay but your bank may charge you for it. Also, some banks (notably Chase) are phasing it out.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    RickO said:
    The only differences between Deluxe and Premier on the Mac side are that Premier includes (1) priority access to Support, and (2) included 12 electronic and 5 check pays with Quicken Bill Pay. That's it. There's no difference as far as investment and tax support/features are concerned.
    @RickO This was correct up until the latest release. In version 6.8, the developers added a new report which is stated as requiring Quicken Premier. (The Foreign Bank Accounts Report: "Easily calculate the maximum balance of your foreign bank account balances within a calendar year. It will significantly help you with your taxes.") It's possible that this is the first step in adding new features which will differentiate between Quicken Deluxe and Quicken Premier for Mac, similar to how there are tangible differences in Quicken Windows. It seems likely to me that we'll see more such differences in the Mac product as some of the advanced investment reports and features users have been asking for are added by the developers. But for now, this one report is the only difference in addition to what you posted above. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    Options
    Thanks. I must have seen that and immediately forgotten about it since it means less than nothing to me.
  • jacobs
    Options
    I have no accounts in different currencies, so I can’t even see what it does. But I thought it was interesting that they added a new tax/investing report and for the first time made it only work with a Premier subscription. So the significance to me is not that specific report, but the likelihood there will be more differentiation between Deluxe and Premier in the future.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For what it is worth, Quicken Windows got this report before Quicken Mac and there is a long discussion on it here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884159/i-think-there-is-a-problem-with-the-new-foreign-bank-accounts-fbar-report

And not everything was really ironed out of what really should be on the report and such, but one thing that is very clear is that it is very limited number of users that would ever need it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RickO
    Options
    With all the QWin functionality that is lacking, THIS is what they choose to implement as the first Premier differentiator? Makes very little sense.
  • jacobs
    Options
    I agree that developing this report ahead of so many other investment features — including more basic reports than this — doesn't make sense. Maybe it was something quick and easy to implement, while setting up broad-based investment reports is a more complicated project they're working on? (I can only hope that's the reason!) 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My guess is that it was easy to do given that they had already done the groundwork on Quicken Windows.

Then again, the Quicken Windows developers make changes and none of the people on this forum can figure out where such a request would come from.

They recently decided to sort the investment transactions based on the Security and then Action (overriding the original sorting which is by the order entered).  No one here could figure out why anyone would want this sorting, let alone override the sorting that has been used of 30+ years.

The users pushed back and at least got them to make it an option.

Another change they made was for a "Reset" button on the register filters.  The button would be enabled whenever you change the filters from their defaults, and when you pressed it, the filters would go back to the defaults.  "Someone" decided that instead the Reset button should be made visible/invisible with the same functionality.  And they decided the Reset button should be green which really stands out.

It is very debatable that hiding the button over disabling it is the right thing to do, but when they switched over, they didn't find all the places where the state switches, so no it is appearing at the wrong times.

Debatable change, for something no user in this forum has ever complained about, and then implemented with bugs in it.  You would hope that they would instead work on the tons of existing bugs, but that doesn't seem to be their priorities.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.