Investment account register issue

debrasheila
debrasheila Member ✭✭
1 of my investing accounts is missing the Cash Amt and Cash bal columns. How do I fix it?

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    @debrasheila - do you have a scrollbar at the bottom of the register that allows you to scroll to the right to see those columns?  Or, are they just plain missing?

• debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    no scroll bar
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a Single Mutual Fund account? If so, change it to a normal investment account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    It is not a single mutual fund account
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If Show cash in a checking account or Single mutual fund account is enabled, the investment register will not have a Cash Amt or Cash Bal column: open the register and press Ctrl + Shift + E
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Did not help.
  • @debrasheila - when you go to the General tab in Account Details, what account type does it show?
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    account type on general tab is IRA
  • @debrasheila - ok sorry about this but I think we need to back up a bit.

What version of Quicken are you on?
    How long have you had this account on Quicken?
    Do you have online services set up for the account?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you may have imported this IRA account from Microsoft Money.  If so, I suggest you create a new offline IRA account, move the transactions, and delete the original account. 

Before making any significant changes to your Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe; 20+ years; no online services. All the columns were there until a few months ago. I don't know if it is related, but investment transactions have stopped transferring to the related cash account.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Not imported from Micro Money. How would I move 20 years of transactions?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    the related cash account.
    Your brokerage account has a linked checking account? That's where the cash lives and why you don't see the cash columns in the brokerage side.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ok then it looks like you had a separate cash account linked with this IRA investment account.  This was something that was once allowed in an IRA account, but no longer.  The issue is that when the programming was updated, the link to these cash accounts for these existing "grandfathered" IRAs seemed to have been removed.

Do you still see the cash account for your IRA in the account list?
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    yes. I see it
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    @debrasheila

You will need to create a new IRA account (as @sherlock suggested in his comment above).
    (Updated with @sherlock 's recommendations)
    • Make a backup of your data file.
    • Run a transaction report for both the IRA and the linked Cash accounts, for all dates.  Save or export them to a spreadsheet (MS Excel) if you can.
    • Rename your existing IRA and Cash account to distinguish it from the new IRA account.
    • Create a "temporary" offline brokerage account - with the option to show cash in a checking account.
    • Move the investment portion of the old IRA to the temporary brokerage account.
    • Move the checking (cash) portion of the old IRA to the temporary brokerage checking (cash) account.
    • In the temporary brokerage account turn off (or choose "No") the "show cash in a checking account".  This will automatically combine the two accounts together and you then end up with just one temporary brokerage account (with both investments and cash).
    • Move all transactions from the temporary brokerage account to the new IRA by using the Move command.  
    • Convert the temporary brokerage account to an IRA by going into Account Details and clicking on the "General" tab and changing "Tax deferred" to yes.  Then, you should see a "Convert to 401(k)/IRA/529" button at the bottom of the settings box.  Click to convert to an IRA.
    • Here are some instructions from "Quicken Help"

Move Investment Transactions is an advanced feature that allows you to move multiple investment transactions from one Quicken investment account to another account within the same file. Because of the ability of Move Investments Transactions to affect large numbers of transactions, we recommend that you make a backup of your Quicken file before using it.

• Move Investment Transactions can be accessed from the “gear” menu above investment registers.
    • In the Move Investment Transactions window, select the transaction(s) you want to move, chose the destination account from the “Move to account:” list, and click “Move”.
    • To save time selecting transactions to move, you can use the Select AllClear AllSelect Open Positions and Select Closed Positions buttons. Select Open Positions selects all transactions for any securities whose current share balance is non-zero. Select Closed Positions selects all transactions for any securities whose current share balance is zero.
    • By default, selecting any transaction to move also selects all other transactions in the account for the same security. This minimizes the possibility of cost basis changes – though these can still occur if transactions are moved to an account which already contains transactions for the security being moved. You can override the “move as group” default by clearing the checkbox below the list of transactions; doing so creates additional scenarios where the cost basis, gains and losses could change. Note that employee stock options and securities with lot tracking will always move as a group, regardless of the checkbox setting.
    • Because of the complexity of the operation, after you click Done, if you have moved any transactions, Quicken will perform a file validation. Depending on the file size, this can take several minutes.

Move Cash Transactions (for linked checking account)

Please refer to the attached link to a Quicken support article for moving the cash transactions in the linked checking account

https://www.quicken.com/support/move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts

If you use the Move transaction, if you change all reconciled (R) transactions to not reconciled, it will make the Move transaction work smoother.  To mass change transactions you can highlight the transactions, then right click on the highlighted transactions, and then use the "Reconcile Status" transaction to change the status to "Not Reconciled".

The other way to move the transactions is to "cut and paste" as Sherlock suggested.

As with any "conversion" process there is going to be some reconciling and clean up.  But hopefully, with the reports to compare to that you pulled from your "old" accounts, this process will go smoothly.

This is very high level, but I wanted to give you an idea of what is entailed.  Please let us know what items you would need help with, and we will gladly assist.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    If that is my only option, I will try it, but not until tomorrow. Will I be able to link the new cash and investment accounts?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    @debrasheila - unfortunately no.  They removed this ability with retirement accounts long ago and then with programing changes around a couple of months ago, they removed the link in existing accounts that used this feature.

In the new IRA account, the cash component will be combined with the investments (together in one account)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Not imported from Micro Money. How would I move 20 years of transactions?
    To move 20 years of investment transactions, you would open the source register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Move Transactions, Select All, the new IRA register in the Move to account: pull-down menu, Move, and Done.  

Your IRA account is old.   You should be able to locate the associated checking account: open the original IRA register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Checking Account

If you want to recreate an IRA account with the original transactions, you'll have to jump through a few more hoops.  In summary, you'll create a temporary brokerage account with cash shown in a checking account, move the IRA transactions to the brokerage account, move the IRA's checking account transactions to the temporary brokerage account's checking.  Then, disable the Show cash in a checking account in the temporary brokerage account and move the transactions from the temporary brokerage account to a new IRA account.

If you would be satisfied simply having those columns moving forward, it may be simpler to create a new IRA account and transfer the holdings.
  • @debrasheila - I updated the instructions in my post with the suggestions from @sherlock.  I think his suggestions will make the conversion process run a lot smoother.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you for giving this your time.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    I moved the investment transactions to the temp brokerage acct but do not see the option to move the checking account transactions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I moved the investment transactions to the temp brokerage acct but do not see the option to move the checking account transactions.
    To move the transactions to the temporary brokerage's checking account, I suggest you first delete the transfer transactions between the temporary brokerage's checking account and the IRA's checking account.   Then, cut the remaining transactions in the IRA's checking account and paste them into the temporary brokerage's checking account.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Do I then have to transfer the investment transactions back into the temp account?
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    I am not clear what I have to do with the investment transactions. Transfer them back to the old account then back to the temp after I put in the checking transactions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Do I then have to transfer the investment transactions back into the temp account?
    I am not clear what I have to do with the investment transactions. Transfer them back to the old account then back to the temp after I put in the checking transactions?
    What you're attempting to do is move the IRA's investment transactions into the brokerage's investment register and the IRA's checking account transaction's into the brokerage's checking register.  Then, disabling the brokerage's checking register will produce a brokerage register with both the investment and cash transactions.  Then, you'll move all transactions in brokerage account to the new IRA account.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Can't I just rename the temp brokerage account as Fidelity?
  • @debrasheila - I guess you could.  The account type would be incorrect.  It would no longer be an IRA in the eyes of Quicken.  Some of the functionality of an IRA would be missing.  But since you do not use online services, I don't see much of a downside.  @Sherlock - can you see any reason why @debrasheila shouldn't rename the temp brokerage account as Fidelity IRA?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can't I just rename the temp brokerage account as Fidelity?
    You may convert the temporary brokerage account to an IRA account by enabling Tax deferred and then selecting Convert to 401K/IRA/529.
  • @sherlock thank you, I forgot about that conversion feature.
This discussion has been closed.