Category not showing up

MattSp
MattSp Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I have a long-existing category that no longer shows up in the list of categories to assign a transaction to. If I look in the transaction list, it is there. However, it isn't in the drop down as I enter a transaction.
Any suggestion?

Answers

• @mattsp - the category might be hidden.  Maximize the category list window and you should see a "Hide" column to the far right.  If there is a checkmark in that column for the category, that means the category is hidden.  To unhide it, just uncheck the box.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if the Category is not shown in the list, make sure the Show hidden categories box at the bottom of the list is checked.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • @jim_harman that is a very good point.  I forgot about that, thank you.
  • MattSp
    MattSp Member ✭✭
    I'm looking at the full window of categories and don't see a column or category for for "hidden." By the way I'm using Quicken for Mac, not Windows.
  • Oops.  I missed that you are using Q Mac.  Maybe @jacobs or another Mac user would be able to provide some insight.  Sorry for my goof.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There are no hidden categories in Quicken Mac. (It's an often-requested feature, but one which has not yet been implemented.)

MattSp said:
    If I look in the transaction list, it is there. However, it isn't in the drop down as I enter a transaction.
    Any suggestion?

Go to Preferences > Register, and see if it is set for Display Short Names. If so, switch it to Display Long Names. I suspect that the category you are seeing in the old transaction is actually a sub-category. Once you turn on Long Names, you'll see the category it is under — and should then be able to enter that category and subcategory for a new transaction as well. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.