Reconciling no longer works for me - had been fine up through Feb 22 (Q Mac)

mintuit6600
mintuit6600 Member ✭✭
Quicken Mac Deluxe 6.71, user since 2007.
I'm reconciling with paper statements. I've entered ending balances (starting balances are correct). For accounts with a small number of transactions reconciling works fine. For my savings and checking accounts with 100 or so transactions/month, reconciling doesn't seem to work. I've been through the statements twice, clearing all and then carefully marking transactions again as reconciled. I've also entered those transactions into a spreadsheet as a check. The spreadsheet matches the bank statements. Quicken still shows a non-zero balance. Suggestions/advice appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Mac Deluxe 6.71, user since 2007.
    I'm reconciling with paper statements. I've entered ending balances (starting balances are correct). For accounts with a small number of transactions reconciling works fine. For my savings and checking accounts with 100 or so transactions/month, reconciling doesn't seem to work. I've been through the statements twice, clearing all and then carefully marking transactions again as reconciled. I've also entered those transactions into a spreadsheet as a check. The spreadsheet matches the bank statements. Quicken still shows a non-zero balance. Suggestions/advice appreciated, thanks!
    Hello @mintuit6600

I apologize for any frustration you may have experienced with respect to this issue with reconciling accounts. Thank you for bringing this matter up for discussion here on the Quicken Community.

First, are you able to locate the Opening Balance in your register for each of the accounts which you are trying to reconcile? This will usually be located at the bottom of the transaction history, if your register is being sorted from newest at the top to the oldest at the bottom. Does this number appear to be correct? This can often be the source of discrepancies when reconciling accounts.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mintuit6600
    mintuit6600 Member ✭✭
    Some of these accounts go back to 2007. The month start and month end balances have been consistent with the statements up through February of this year. But March and April are out of balance for two of the five accounts on my paper statements.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Some of these accounts go back to 2007. The month start and month end balances have been consistent with the statements up through February of this year. But March and April are out of balance for two of the five accounts on my paper statements.
    Hey @mintuit6600

Thank you for getting back to me about this issue. I apologize for this ongoing frustration with reconciling accounts. 

Do you see any transactions missing from your register in March or April of this year? Also, would it be possible to restore from a backup saved prior to when you last reconciled your accounts? We recommend saving backups frequently by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Provided that this is done regularly, you should be able to restore from a recent backup by going to the same menu and selecting File > Restore from Backup...

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Lizlubin55
    Lizlubin55 Member
    I am not able to reconcile. The reconcile icon and settings icon are not abled. This has never happened before.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Lizlubin55 If the reconcile icon is gray, it is likely because you have clicked on an account group in the left sidebar (e.g. Cash or Credit or Banking) rather than an individual account. Click on a single account, and you should be able to click Reconcile. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • radfisher
    radfisher Member
    Everything was fine for May, but when I tried to reconcile accounts for June, nothing works. Reconcile seems to be non functional. I desperately need a solution. the little CL box that one should be able to check off does not work. But strangely, all of that column that was previously reconciled back to the beginning of my account in 1995 has changed to a green dot with check which it thought I remembered as how it should look while being reconciled but not finished. I also do not get the box at the beginning where I would enter the current bank statement balance.
  • Dana Netherton
    Dana Netherton Member ✭✭
    Hi, @mintuit6600 . Here's a question: are you seeing duplicate entries in any of your account registers?

I've been seeing some in mine, and they've been playing hob with my efforts to balance my accounts: they add (or subtract) money from the accounts but of course aren't in the statements I get from my bank (or credit card, or etc).

The dupes I've been seeing often have no category or transfer account in the "category" field, and Quicken won't let me edit the transactions -- it's also not always easy to delete them.

I'll give a link to the Discussion thread in this Forum where I've been wrestling with this. If it's not what you've been seeing, then I'll apologize and withdraw the question. But if it is ...

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915935/damaged-transactions-that-cannot-be-deleted
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In a register, transactions will display in one of three states in the "Clr" column:

The blue square checkmark indicates the transaction has cleared. If you download transactions, they are automatically receive this checkmark because they have cleared your bank; if you enter transactions manually, you have the option to click the empty box to turn in to the blue checkmark if you wish, but you don't need to do so.

The green circle checkmark indicates the transaction has been reconciled. When you complete a reconciliation, all transactions you check off int he reconcile window will be set to the green checkmark. 

So typically, all your old transactions would have green checkmarks, while recent transactions will have blue checkmarks or be blank. Is that what you're seeing? (Your description of the problem was a little unclear to me.)

When you click the Reconcile button (or select it from the menu), you you get the reconcile start-up window, which looks like this:

Or is that what you are describing as missing? Are you landing on the Reconcile window, which looks like this:

If so, just click the Back button to go back to the reconcile start-up screen. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.