Quarterly report for expense account

susantr
susantr Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Reports (Windows)
This may be very obvious, but I can't find how to print a report on a specific expense account. I'm looking to generate a quarterly report on my non-reimbursed medical expenses for tax purposes, due to cancer treatments. Thank you!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    I am sorry to hear about the cancer.  It is an insidious disease that is devastating not only to the body but also to the mind.  I hope the treatments go well and are successful.
    There are several different types of reports that can be used for this purpose.  Here are the ones I find to be most helpful for this purpose.  You don't say which version of Quicken you are using so not everyone of these options might be applicable to you but you will have at least some of them:
    • Tax Schedule report
    • Tax Summary report
    • Schedule A report
    • Itemized Categories report
    When you pull up the reports to see what might best meet what you are looking for:
    • Click on the Gear icon at the top right of the report.  This will pull up the Customization popup.
    • Date Range:  Select Quarterly from the drop down.  Then select the Quarter you want the report to show from the next drop down.
    • Accounts tab:  Clear All and the select the specific account you want shown.
    • Click OK to show the report with these customizations.
    • If you find that something is missing or you want to remove something (like a Category, a Payee, a Tag, a Transfer, another Account), just go back to that Customization popup and customize it some more for these things. 
    When you have found the report you want, you can click on the floppy disc icon at the top right of the report to save it as a custom report.  It will be saved in Reports > My Saved Reports & Graphs which makes it easy to retrieve in the future without needing to go through the whole customization process, again.

If you have not already done so you might then want to go to File > Printer Setup > For Reports and Graphs.

When done, go back to the report you want to print out and click on the Printer icon at the top right of the report.  Click on that to pull up the Print dialog.  Make the adjustments there that you want to make and print the report out.

Does this help you get what you are looking for? 

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @susantr,

I assume that you are posting all your medical expenses in one specific top-level category (perhaps titled "Medical" which is the Quicken default).  To produce the report you want, follow these steps:

1) Go to "Reports" > "Spending" > "Itemized Categories";
    2) In the pop-up window you'll see a report that starts with Income then shows Expenses > Click on the "Gear Icon" in the upper-right;
    3) Click on the "Categories" Tab > then click on the "Include only transactions with selected categories" button;
    4) In the Box to the right labeled "Matching" -  type "Medical" in the "Category contains" box, then hit "OK";
    5) The Report will then be revised to only include "Medical" data - click on the "+" next to "Medical" to expand to include the sub categories.  You can click on the "+" again to see the detailed data.

To save the report for future use, simply click on the "X" in the upper right and a pop-up will ask if you want to save the report for future use - Click "Save" and then enter the information requested in the pop-up, and then click "Save" again.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like when you are referring to "expense accounts" that is what Quicken calls "Categories." That may help explain what to look for.

Also in your original post, you said you want to see non-reimbursed expenses. If you have been receiving insurance reimbursements directly, you will want to make sure that the Category you use for the reimbursements is the same as the Category you use for the expenses. The reimbursements will show as negative amounts in the expense Category report.

If you want to use a different Category for the reimbursements, it should be one specific to the medical expenses, not Health insurance for example, or a general Reimbursements income Category..
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    I am sorry to hear about the cancer.  It is an insidious disease that is devastating not only to the body but also to the mind.  I hope the treatments go well and are successful.
    There are several different types of reports that can be used for this purpose.  Here are the ones I find to be most helpful for this purpose.  You don't say which version of Quicken you are using so not everyone of these options might be applicable to you but you will have at least some of them:
    • Tax Schedule report
    • Tax Summary report
    • Schedule A report
    • Itemized Categories report
    When you pull up the reports to see what might best meet what you are looking for:
    • Click on the Gear icon at the top right of the report.  This will pull up the Customization popup.
    • Date Range:  Select Quarterly from the drop down.  Then select the Quarter you want the report to show from the next drop down.
    • Accounts tab:  Clear All and the select the specific account you want shown.
    • Click OK to show the report with these customizations.
    • If you find that something is missing or you want to remove something (like a Category, a Payee, a Tag, a Transfer, another Account), just go back to that Customization popup and customize it some more for these things. 
    When you have found the report you want, you can click on the floppy disc icon at the top right of the report to save it as a custom report.  It will be saved in Reports > My Saved Reports & Graphs which makes it easy to retrieve in the future without needing to go through the whole customization process, again.

If you have not already done so you might then want to go to File > Printer Setup > For Reports and Graphs.

When done, go back to the report you want to print out and click on the Printer icon at the top right of the report.  Click on that to pull up the Print dialog.  Make the adjustments there that you want to make and print the report out.

Does this help you get what you are looking for? 

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @susantr,

I assume that you are posting all your medical expenses in one specific top-level category (perhaps titled "Medical" which is the Quicken default).  To produce the report you want, follow these steps:

1) Go to "Reports" > "Spending" > "Itemized Categories";
    2) In the pop-up window you'll see a report that starts with Income then shows Expenses > Click on the "Gear Icon" in the upper-right;
    3) Click on the "Categories" Tab > then click on the "Include only transactions with selected categories" button;
    4) In the Box to the right labeled "Matching" -  type "Medical" in the "Category contains" box, then hit "OK";
    5) The Report will then be revised to only include "Medical" data - click on the "+" next to "Medical" to expand to include the sub categories.  You can click on the "+" again to see the detailed data.

To save the report for future use, simply click on the "X" in the upper right and a pop-up will ask if you want to save the report for future use - Click "Save" and then enter the information requested in the pop-up, and then click "Save" again.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• susantr
    susantr Member ✭✭
    Thank you! I figured it had to be something easy, but I couldn't find it...this worked great!
  • susantr
    susantr Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac, this worked great! I figured it was something fairly easy...I've used other accounting applications and have always been able to directly access expense accounts. It's a little confusing and annoying that I can directly access an expense account like I can bank accounts or asset/liability accounts.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like when you are referring to "expense accounts" that is what Quicken calls "Categories." That may help explain what to look for.

Also in your original post, you said you want to see non-reimbursed expenses. If you have been receiving insurance reimbursements directly, you will want to make sure that the Category you use for the reimbursements is the same as the Category you use for the expenses. The reimbursements will show as negative amounts in the expense Category report.

If you want to use a different Category for the reimbursements, it should be one specific to the medical expenses, not Health insurance for example, or a general Reimbursements income Category..
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.