Apple M2 Compatibility

Options
Johnmonthrots
Johnmonthrots Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Installing and Updating (Mac)
Any issues with Quicken and the M2 chipset? I'm looking to transition from Windows over to a MAC and looking at the M2 devices

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In general, the M2 Macs run apps compiled for the M1 processor seamlessly. I don't have an M2 Mac, but I have not read of any issues with Quicken yet on this forum. (Of course, very few people have their hands on M2 Macs yet. ;) )
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In general, the M2 Macs run apps compiled for the M1 processor seamlessly. I don't have an M2 Mac, but I have not read of any issues with Quicken yet on this forum. (Of course, very few people have their hands on M2 Macs yet. ;) )
  • Johnmonthrots
    Johnmonthrots Member ✭✭
    Options
    Any compelling reasons for not switching from Windows to MAC version?
  • jacobs
    Options
    Any compelling reasons for not switching from Windows to MAC version?
    That's a subject for which there could be many thousands of word in reply. ;) Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows are close cousins, but not identical twins, so there are lots of differences between the programs.

For some users, after a bit of as learning curve and adjustment to the different interface, Quicken Mac meets all their needs quite well and they are happy. For some users, there are some shortcomings or missing feature sin Quicken Mac, but it meets their needs well enough. And some users deem that missing features in Quicken Mac make it not satisfactory for their needs. You can find hundreds of posts on this topic on this forum, some of which discuss ongoing issues and some of which discuss out-of-date issues which have been resolved.

My suggestion is to ignore most of what you can read here and to try it for yourself. We all use Quicken differently, so something I might consider a minor difference might be a dealbreaker for you, and something I might cite as a major missing feature might be irrelevant for you. Since there's no additional cost to download the Mac version if you already have a Quicken subscription, you can try it on a Mac and use it in parallel with Quicken Windows for a few weeks as you determine whether Quicken Mac meets your needs. 

If you're looking to get rid of an older Windows computer and switch to the Mac, I suggest getting the Mac and trying Quicken Mac while you still have the Windows machine. I think the "worst case" situation, if you commit to being on only a Mac when you buy one, is that if you determine you really can't transition from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac, you could decide to purchase Virtual Machine software (Parallels) in order to continue running Quicken Windows.
  • Johnmonthrots
    Johnmonthrots Member ✭✭
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback. Yeah I run a Windows machine essentially only for email, surfing and Quicken and need to update my tech. Everything else I have is Apple so I'm willing to be uncomfortable for a while as I learn the MAC interface. Good mental growth activity in figuring out how to do things on a MAC that used to do on a Windows PC. I really wish there was a version for a top of the line iPad Pro but guess not.
  • mikespt
    mikespt Member
    Options
    I have the new Apple MacBook M2 and Quicken will not install. It just keeps crashing. The menu bar is at the top of the page and then swirling rainbow and that's it.So, hopefully there is a fix coming soon.I switched from windows to Mac.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    ... I really wish there was a version for a top of the line iPad Pro but guess not.
    The closest you can get to running Quicken on an iPad is to "screen share" a Mac screen onto the iPad (which means you still need a Mac).

You can do this using macOS Sidecar (Catalina or newer) or third party apps that will turn your iPad into an external display to the Mac.

Note that using third party software can also work with other iOS devices, e.g. iPhone, though I'm not sure how usable it would be on such a small screen.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Mac is a no-go currently for me as I need the Business / Rental Property version of Quicken.  I have been running Quicken Windows on Apple computers for past 20 years (almost?) via first Bootcamp and now Parallels.  so I like the Mac products, but still need to maintain Windows.  So like previous poster said, many options.  I'm not sure if you can run both products and maintain a current data file on both if you download & sync transactions as (maybe I'm wrong), but if you download activity on one version (say the Mac Quicken) and then don't think you can update the Win version as the FI would already say they downloaded?
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can run both products and maintain a current data file on both if you download & sync transactions as (maybe I'm wrong), but if you download activity on one version (say the Mac Quicken) and then don't think you can update the Win version as the FI would already say they downloaded?
    I don't think that would be a problem as long as the files have different cloud account names. When I'm beta testing a new Mac version I download to the current release and the beta and both of them get the same transactions, neither one interferes with the other.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    Options
    mikespt said:
    I have the new Apple MacBook M2 and Quicken will not install. It just keeps crashing. The menu bar is at the top of the page and then swirling rainbow and that's it.So, hopefully there is a fix coming soon.I switched from windows to Mac.
    I wouldn't expect a "fix coming soon" because I don't know if there is a problem which has been documented. In this forum, yours is actually the first I've heard about a Quicken problem on an M2 Mac. Have you contacted Quicken Support to report this problem? They would need to verify your report and see if your Mac's log files offer any useful information to document a case to pass on to the development team.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Jon said:
    I'm not sure if you can run both products and maintain a current data file on both if you download & sync transactions as (maybe I'm wrong), but if you download activity on one version (say the Mac Quicken) and then don't think you can update the Win version as the FI would already say they downloaded?
    I don't think that would be a problem as long as the files have different cloud account names. When I'm beta testing a new Mac version I download to the current release and the beta and both of them get the same transactions, neither one interferes with the other.
    This has gotten off-topic but QWin and QMac do NOT use the same Quicken Cloud file. There is currently no way to sync data between the two platforms (other than conversion).

As for downloading into Quicken, if using Web Connect (aka QFX file download), that same file can be used to import into each version of Quicken. The FI does not track which file or how many times that time is used. Cannot speak to other forms of downloads... not sure if the FI keeps track of what was downloaded vs each copy of a Quicken file determining what has already been downloaded and only downloading new data, hence only being tracked on the Quicken side.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Mac is a no-go currently for me as I need the Business / Rental Property version of Quicken.  I have been running Quicken Windows on Apple computers for past 20 years (almost?) via first Bootcamp and now Parallels.  so I like the Mac products, but still need to maintain Windows.  So like previous poster said, many options. ...
    As for running QWin Bus/Rental, Parallels runs Windows for ARM and QWin runs in Windows for ARM, so there is that.

This discussion has been closed.