Chase Migration - Reconcile now sees Pending transactions as Cleared

ZenDog
ZenDog Member ✭✭
I have been able to successfully link my Chase accounts, but now, when I attempt to reconcile, transactions that are pending are included in Quicken balance as a cleared item. This prevents me from reconciling with my online Chase balance.
Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2022
    @ZenDog Can you clarify: are you saying the pending transactions download to Quicken and are marked with the blue checkmark that they're cleared? Or are you saying the pending transactions don't download, but the balance for reconciling includes the pending transactions which are not in Quicken? If the latter, it's Chase which is sending the mismatched and wrong balance to Quicken. There's no way for Quicken to adjust for this; it only knows the balance Chase is sending.

So, there are two things you can do to deal with this situation. First is to call Chase tech icily support after the weekend and complain about this; try to get to talk to a Tier 2 support representative who actually knows something about their downloads to Quicken. 

In the meantime, you can switch to reconciling to a statement balance instead of the automatic online balance. You can either wait until the end of each billing cycle to reconcile to the actual balance on your statement (which is what I do with my credit cards) or you can log onto Chase, determine the correct balance for your posted transactions, and enter that in the Quicken reconcile screen. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ksable
    ksable Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. This only started happening since I converted to the new integration method (EWC+). And yes, it's the latter from the above, whereby pending transactions are NOT downloaded (this is normal), yet for the first time, the amounts of these pending transactions are included in the cleared balance. Does Quicken Tech Support work with Chase directly on these integrations or is it mostly one-sided where Chase changes their API and has some bugs to work out? Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ksable you are posting in a Quicken Mac thread which is bit different, but on the whole I wouldn't be surprised that is the same problem.

For some time now Quicken Inc has been "hinting" that a new feature was coming that the user could select if they wanted to download the pending transactions or not.  So far that has never been fully implemented, but parts of it have "snuck through".  Like Quicken Windows "red flags" indicating that there are transactions when there aren't if there are pending transactions.  And mismatches between the downloaded transactions and online balance.  For the most part all of these problems have been in Express Web Connect (which would be called Quicken Connect on Quicken Mac) and not in Direct Connect.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ksable
    ksable Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Thank you. Yes, I am also seeing the red flags showing up when there are no transactions to import and reconcile. I, too, figured out that this was happening due to pending transactions. So, what is the resolution for this? Wait until Chase and/or Quicken collaborate to resolve? Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ksable since some of these problem have more to do with Express Web Connect in general than the actual Chase conversion I don't really expect all these problems to go away when the Chase conversion parts of it are done.  But the "action" is the same, there isn't any way that the user can fix it so you need to switch reconciling to statements instead of to the online balance until they do get all the problems fixed.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ZenDog
    ZenDog Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your input. As ksable detailed, this is exactly the problem I've been experiencing. It looks like we'll just have to wait for Quicken to resolve the issue.
  • jbrodmann
    jbrodmann Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, I'm seeing the same thing. It wasn't a huge deal until I had a transaction come in from a restaurant. Of course, the pending transaction that Quicken wants to reconcile does not have the full amount of the bill (the total amount isn't including the tip). So, Quicken reconciles the wrong amount, now when I update, it download's the clear amount which doesn't match the reconciled amount throwing off Quicken's record of the "Online Balance." Not good.
  • dgambrell
    dgambrell Member
    I have been experiencing the exact same thing. Hard to imagine with today's CI/CD processes that this bug made it way through a GA release.
  • Joz
    Joz Member
    It does not appear the latest Mac version update fixed this. Ugh
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @dgambrell But the issue is with the financial institution, not Quicken. If Chase is sending Quicken a current balance which includes pending transactions, but isn't sending those pending transactions to Quicken to download yet, it's not a bug with Quicken, it's a bug with Chase. There's no way Quicken can know how much of the downloaded balance amount consists of pending transactions.

Chase needs to make the balance and the transactions match: either send only the posted balance which matches the posts transactions, or send the pending balance and also download the pending transactions. (The latter sounds complex to me, since some pending transactions never post, and some post for a different amount than the original pending transaction — like restaurant charges with an added tip. If they download pending transactions, then some will later need to disappear or have a modified amount, which is a problem if users have reconciled the transactions, or have created splits on the original amount.)

@Joz In most cases, issues with connectivity and downloads are back-end, server-based issues, which are resolved by the financial institution or by Intuit (Quicken's connectivity supplier) or both; very few involve changes to the actual Quicken Mac application.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Wanderer123
    Wanderer123 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    This seems to be an issue for all the credit cards switched over to EWC+. I am not sure if it is Intuit [Quicken's processor], the banks, or Quicken. I would have to deconstruct the file being downloaded to see what online balance the bank is sending over. Based on the fact that it is happening with several different financial institutions I am going to have to assume it is Intuit or the way Quicken is processing the EWC+ transactions.
  • gbronc
    gbronc Member ✭✭
    I, too, am seeing this on my Quicken for Windows using Chase credit cards that have been switched over to EWC+
  • RLR54
    RLR54 Member ✭✭
    Migrated Chase login / account Friday Sep 2nd and encountered the reconcile failure re pending transactions. Just arrived here to discover I'm not alone. That's the good news. I've switched to my backup CC and letting the Chase CC stay home while this gets sorted out. Bummer.
  • Ron S
    Ron S Member ✭✭✭✭
    This same issue is happening with the Windows version also.
  • frankfurter
    frankfurter Member ✭✭✭
    I'm curious, I use Quicken for Mac / Ally Bank, and have the same issue. Will this 'fix' correct that for me too? I haven't been able to reconcile for months due to this. I had considered simply adding the 3-4 pending transactions manually then letting it reconcile, with hopes that when the pending transactions actually clear that they will reconcile themselves in Quicken, but my fear is I will have duplicate transactions.
This discussion has been closed.