When is the Bank of Montreal EWC Issue Going to be Fixed?

Options
cgruchy
cgruchy Canada Beta Beta
edited February 2023 in All Things Canadian (Windows)
We are still not able to set up Bank of Montreal accounts on Express Web Connect, because Quicken points the connection to the wrong server in Bank of Montreal. This is happening for Bank of Montreal accounts on both sides of the Canada/USA border. Quicken is trying to link accounts to an institution called Bank of Montreal Mastercard, which doesn't exist. I know. I am a Bank of Montreal employee. We are also not able to update the sign in information for Bank of Montreal by clicking on the link in One Step Update settings. Is anybody working on this? It has been months. Quicken needs to work with Bank of Montreal to update the application interface protocols to connect Quicken to the correct server in Bank of Montreal. Various threads on this issue have not been updated or state "known issue" on this forum. [Removed - Speculation/Inaccurate] Please provide a response.

Comments

• newfie-yoda
    newfie-yoda Member ✭✭
    Options
    It is still not clear to me where the issues lies - BMO (Bank of Montreal) or Quicken. My wife has a RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) account and her downloads are working fine. That seems to suggest that the issue is with BMO's interface software but no one has come out and clarified which website is actually causing the problem. I think it is about time that someone at Quicken informs us where the issue lies. If it's with BMO, let me know and and I will chase them for a resolution!! It is taking wa-y-y to long to resolve.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The biggest problem with Express Web Connect is that is impossible for the user to know where the problem is.  And it isn't even easy for the parties involved to know without digging into the problem.

Express Web Connect is:

Quicken syncing to the Quicken Cloud dataset, which in turn syncs with the Intuit servers, which in turn log in as you on the financial institution's website using an "agreed upon method" (which can be different between different financial institutions.

So, the process has to be that the users contact the Quicken support, which in turn should escalate the problem to the "scripts group" that in turn works with Intuit and the financial institution to pin down the problem and get it fixed.

And at no time does Quicken Inc ever tell the users who's problem it is or when it will be addressed.

If there is an open notification on this forum you know that Quicken support has escalated the problem, but they have no more information than that.  You will see they always state they have no ETA of when it will be fixed or where the problem lies.

In general if it is past the notification stage I would say the best a user can do is use Help -> Report a problem in Quicken (which has no feedback, but is sent to the developers), and contact the financial institution's support to complain.  Note it isn't unusual that the first line support won't know a thing about Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Barry in NS
    Options
    I am just subscribing to Quicken and can't link it to my MBO accounts.
  • ddochter
    ddochter Member ✭✭
    Options
    It is now 10/6/22 and I am still receiving the error "Quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution for this download".
    First: is this begin caused by the EWC issue described in this post?
    2nd: when will this be resolved? Takes a lot of manual effort to load bank transactions into Quicken (especially considering that this is working for all of my other bank account)?
    3rd: is there a workaround? I have tried the download the .ofx from BofM, drag and drop to the Quicken Download transaction popup, however same issue.
    4th: I would like to stay with Quicken, however this not the first year that there have been issues with syncing financial institution transactions with Quicken (I KNOW THAT EVERYONE KNOWS THIS). Perhaps Quicken should reconsider assigning someone new to this code base .... ?
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was unable to download transactions from BMO Bank of Montreal into Quicken H&B Canadian using EWC (express web connect) for many months (earlier this year), but whatever was causing that issue was resolved a few months ago and EWC has worked fine recently for downloading Mastercard transactions from BMO Bank of Montreal (I only have a Mastercard with BMO, no banking accounts). I was always able to use the Web Connect download functionality from the BMO online banking site - that always worked, although inconvenient. I am now experiencing issues with multifactor authentication (2 factor) with RBC Royal Bank, but BMO is working fine. I am posting this to raise awareness that whatever issue is currently affecting some users is not a universal issue. Those affected by this issue might try setting up the EWC for BMO in a new Quicken file to see whether it works in that case. Other than that, those affected by the issue should use the Report A Problem feature in Quicken AND also contact Quicken Support and make them aware of the problem. Neither of which guarantees a timely resolution (I am not getting a timely resolution to the RBC issue), but it does provide data and there is the proverbial squeaky wheel factor.
  • Gautam Tupil
    Gautam Tupil Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am thoroughly frustrated by the inability of Quicken to resolve the BMO EWC for my Checking account. This has been a problem since March 2022 and was resolved sometime back for Mastercard and LOC accounts. I keep getting a prompt when I log into my BMO checking account when I download my transactions to update to the automated way to connect via EWC, However, as other users have pointed out this brings up the dialog box that states log in with your Mastercard number and password which is incorrect. I log in with my Debit card number and password and it connects and gets my account information. This points to adding it to my credit card account and not the checking account. So, I have to terminate it and go back to manual downloading of my transactions.

Just got notified yesterday, that Quicken was raising the prices for all products since they were adding new features. Can't they fix this problem. Terrible service. I have been a loyal Quicken user since 1995.
  • Gautam Tupil
    Gautam Tupil Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Gautam Tupil said:
    > I am thoroughly frustrated by the inability of Quicken to resolve the BMO EWC for my Checking account. This has been a problem since March 2022 and was resolved sometime back for Mastercard and LOC accounts. I keep getting a prompt when I log into my BMO checking account when I download my transactions to update to the automated way to connect via EWC, However, as other users have pointed out this brings up the dialog box that states log in with your Mastercard number and password which is incorrect. I log in with my Debit card number and password and it connects and gets my account information. This points to adding it to my credit card account and not the checking account. So, I have to terminate it and go back to manual downloading of my transactions.
    >
    > Just got notified yesterday, that Quicken was raising the prices for all products since they were adding new features. Can't they fix this problem. Terrible service. I have been a loyal Quicken user since 1995.

Finally found a fix to the problem of connecting BMO EWC with my Checking Account. In the Edit Account Details section - Financial Institution - I had previously used "BMO Bank of Montreal" and while trying to activate EWC it prompted me to enter my credit card number and password (which was incorrect - since I had to use my Debit card number and password). After connecting it only gave me the option to connect my account as a New Credit Card Account and not link to my existing checking account.

Fix:Use BMO Bank of Montreal Mastercard M-C as the financial institution for EWC. This correctly prompts you to use your Debit card number or Mastercard number and password. After connecting with BMO - Voila - It enables you to link your existing checking account.
  • Arctic Hare
    Options
    > @Gautam Tupil said:
    > I am thoroughly frustrated by the inability of Quicken to resolve the BMO EWC for my Checking account. This has been a problem since March 2022 and was resolved sometime back for Mastercard and LOC accounts. I keep getting a prompt when I log into my BMO checking account when I download my transactions to update to the automated way to connect via EWC, However, as other users have pointed out this brings up the dialog box that states log in with your Mastercard number and password which is incorrect. I log in with my Debit card number and password and it connects and gets my account information. This points to adding it to my credit card account and not the checking account. So, I have to terminate it and go back to manual downloading of my transactions.
    >
    > Just got notified yesterday, that Quicken was raising the prices for all products since they were adding new features. Can't they fix this problem. Terrible service. I have been a loyal Quicken user since 1995.

Finally found a fix to the problem of connecting BMO EWC with my Checking Account. In the Edit Account Details section - Financial Institution - I had previously used "BMO Bank of Montreal" and while trying to activate EWC it prompted me to enter my credit card number and password (which was incorrect - since I had to use my Debit card number and password). After connecting it only gave me the option to connect my account as a New Credit Card Account and not link to my existing checking account.

Fix:Use BMO Bank of Montreal Mastercard M-C as the financial institution for EWC. This correctly prompts you to use your Debit card number or Mastercard number and password. After connecting with BMO - Voila - It enables you to link your existing checking account.
    I've been complaining to Quicken about the issue with BMO Mosaik Mastercard for years - BMO discontinued that card program and branding many years ago - it might be a decade ago now - and there shouldn't be any reference to it in Quicken. Every time I bring it up with Quicken they claim that they can't do anything about it. It is a really odd situation. Glad you got it working... this has caused issues for many people.
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried the "BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C" financial institution and EWC is now working for me.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Arctic Hare
    Options
    I tried the "BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C" financial institution and EWC is now working for me.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    For the benefit of others who experience issues related to the BMO branding, it might be helpful if those who have experienced this issue with BMO vs BMO Bank of Montreal M-C make note of whether you are setting up only a BMO Mastercard, only BMO banking accounts, or both banking accounts and a Mastercard. I only have a Mastercard with BMO and it is mapped to the Mosaik M-C branding in the EWC setup.
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C" fixed EWC for my Chequing and Mastercard accounts.
  • Arctic Hare
    Options
    "BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C" fixed EWC for my Chequing and Mastercard accounts.
    Isn't it interesting that the "Mosaik M-C" branding, which is the long obsolete Mosaik Mastercard, which was a Mastercard with configurable feature options, is the necessary choice for a non-Mosaik Mastercard and a non-Mosaik chequing account. Just saying....
  • McCraiger
    Options
    Arctic Hare; I changed from the business version to this more home based version in Mar. 2022 and been having nothing but trouble with Auto dWl at BMO.
    This was the fix! Thanks Kindly CP
  • chris1978
    chris1978 Member
    Options
    Thank you Gautam Tupil for helping me solve this issue. Just purchased Quicken and was very frustrated that I would not download my accounts. But using the BMO Mosaik M-Card bank link worked. Very confusing and they should fix it, but at least it works now.
  • Arctic Hare
    Options
    chris1978 said:
    Thank you Gautam Tupil for helping me solve this issue. Just purchased Quicken and was very frustrated that I would not download my accounts. But using the BMO Mosaik M-Card bank link worked. Very confusing and they should fix it, but at least it works now.
    I've been asking Quicken to address this issue for something on the order of 10 years... yes, this issue has been present and causing problems for that long. I am also affected by this issue as I have one those BMO Mastercards that needs to use the Mosaik branding. I have no idea why that is; BMO ditched the Mosaik branding more than a decade ago.
This discussion has been closed.