New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

This is a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to be one of few if not the only one that gets to Chase to reauthrize, goes through the process and arrives at a blank browser screen with a message in Quicken it failed. No pop-up blockers, ad blockers, etc. Message behind the blanks screen is:

Reported as an issue.
  • Robert Berman
    Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
    No option on Account Details -> Online Services for "change Connection Method" in Windows Q Premier
  • Matt Herndon
    Matt Herndon Member ✭✭✭
    The community alert says just to hit next at the "add account" screen, but when I did that it just added new duplicate accounts.

Does Quicken not test these kinds of things? Every time the sync process gets changed I feel like it takes a month of tweaking and restoring backups before I get it working again. Super frustrating.
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    I went through the "reconnect to CHASE" routine for a single credit card that has been in my Quicken file for many years.  I did not encounter the "try again" error message, however I was directed to create a new credit account in my existing Quicken data file.  Unfortunately that new credit data file was only populated with the last 80 days of transactions by the bank.  I was not given the option of linking to the existing credit card file in Quicken.  

This gives me a problem with existing reports which rely on historical data in the credit card files.  Moreover it also requires me to manually recategorize all the downloaded transactions in the new file.  If I keep both the old and the new credit card files and include them in my reports, I have to manually insure there are no duplicate transactions in the files (otherwise reports will be inaccurate with double counting).  

It would be helpful if Quicken would give me the option to link to an existing credit card file after passing the "credit check" with Chase...

Paul
  • mikel51
    mikel51 Member
    ditto here on when I added, it created duplicate accounts rather than linking to my existing accounts. Because the old accounts are still updating, I will wait until they stop updating and then try again. Hopefully, Quicken will have the problem solved by then.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOB139 said:
    > @UKR said:
    > close Quicken, wait 30 sec or more,

That's the first I hear of that step!
    I'm recommending that step because it takes a few seconds for Quicken to really disappear from the system after the Quicken window closes. Just watch with Windows Task Manager. I'm not sure exactly what Quicken does during those seconds, but if you're too fast on the draw, the Quicken program code may not start with a fresh copy loaded from disk, using old remnants of code or data instead. And that's not what I want, especially when trying to chase down problems.

• murrymck
    murrymck Member ✭✭
    THIS WORKED FOR ME. I had the same issue as several others mentioned. And we have 2 Chase account logins - one for me and one for my wife. We have a joint checking account and each have multiple Chase Checking accounts. Here is what worked:
    1) Deactivate each account for a single login. (Go to the account, then click on the gear menu, online services and then the Deactivate button.
    2) Close Quicken and let it stay inactive for at least a minute.
    3) Reopen Quicken. Go into one of the accounts, click on the gear menu on the top right, and then click on online services, then Setup Now.

After doing this, the system went back into the Chase routine. However, this time, when the system connected back, to Quicken, they automatically connected to the accounts in Quicken without having to use the linked account function. When it did the initial update, there were a few random historical transaction downloaded, but those were easy to delete. I hope this helps others.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

So hard to find where to post anything Chase related with so many threads but this needs to be seen by "some" for sure.

I have had issues as posted all around but also maybe unique to me the Reauthorize at Chase never completed - before today. I had disabled all cookie managers, popup blockers, ad blockers etc, but not until I first started my default browser in safe mode did it ever complete.

There are new issues some of you have seen since.

I have two Chase accounts. One came in, linked properly and is now EWC +.
    The other could not find a link and had only ADD TO or DO NOT ADD TO Quicken as options.

Adding to created a new account with maybe 90 days data. The opening balance WAS the balance on the day of the first entry. But it left the original account as Direct Connect and no way to link. At all.

We deleted the NEW Chase account.

Working closely with advanced support and we may be able to fix that other account today. Waiting on a call now that they have seen how these errors occur.

My goals for today:

1. Link account with EWC+
    2. Be sure OSU works for both accounts
    3. Try to add Chase online billers

But most important spread the word  that is the Chase Browser part o Reauthorization never completes, start the broswer in safe mode BEFORE you run the reauthorization.

• Ben_Dover
    Ben_Dover Member ✭✭
    This is a disaster. When updating my original Chase account doesn't appear in the dropdown list. I'm prompted to "add a new" account or "don't add" to quicken. To see what would happen when I add new, it deletes all my historic transactions going back 10 years, then only updates transactions from June 2022. Not only did it add a new account, it merged the original account with the new deleting everything. I restored a backup and to recover all my data. Was this not tested? How is this type of epic failure possible? TIP: If you attempt this, do a backup first, you will need it. This is disgraceful
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, Deactiviating the remaining Direct Connect and adding new allowed that account to come in and link properly. Both are now EWC +. One Step Update works as expected. No need to delete finanacila instituiotion name or account number. Just deactivate and then add as a new account.  DO NOT setup online services.

Adding as Online Billers not yet working. Finds only the first account and shows as needs attention. Not unexpected as this feature has not yet been properly restored in development.

So, for now, I am through a very difficult transition for me. Will have patience on restoring Online Billers.
  • dgirman
    dgirman Member
    Quicken Chase account linking still not completing. It's been 2 weeks not working! What's going on? Quicken, please make this a CRITICAL issue to repair. Again, this is a CRITICAL problem for many users. When I pay for a product subscription, I think it's in your best interest to fix user issues, and post progress.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    dgirman said:
    Quicken Chase account linking still not completing. It's been 2 weeks not working! What's going on? Quicken, please make this a CRITICAL issue to repair. Again, this is a CRITICAL problem for many users. When I pay for a product subscription, I think it's in your best interest to fix user issues, and post progress.

Would help if you are MUCH more specific. What do you do? How far do you get? What is the point you say "still not completing"? May and may not be able to help if I (or we) know more.

• If I don't use Quicken Bill Pay, must I change? I have 15 Chase accounts. You're migration options do not include the option to link to existing accounts - only add or ignore. I'd have to create an additional 15 accounts and since you don't move the entirety of the history, I have to keep those 15 old accounts to be able to search history. You approach is ill conceived. Will you please create an approach that lets us link to existing accounts? If so, when? Thanks, David
  • Rob Price
    Rob Price Member ✭✭
    Same problem -- it created a new account, after not giving me the choice to link. I read all the above, went to the most recent backup, de-activated the Visa account, then quit Quicken and came back in. I went to Accounts, and re-activated it, and it took me to Chase (again), and let me activate. All appeared great until I downloaded and reconciled. The balance is correct in the register, but the reconciled balance is off by some $1700. I had the same issue with the Schwab change, and spent hours trying to fix. Ultimately I created 2 bogus entries, one Reconciled, and one not, and the "one not" is forever to be so. I did the same for the Visa ($1700 entries), and now I'm stuck with this ugliness.
  • goodlife
    goodlife Member ✭✭
    I reauthorized several Chase accounts and it downloaded transactions to wrong Chase accounts and deleted 84 days of Chase Credit Crd transactions
  • jaspden@
    jaspden@ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Went through link process with Chase. Received new connection screen in Quicken; but was kicked out indicating a problem being worked on. Will be contacted when problem is resolved. Please do so.
    —- email address removed —-
  • Movie Nut
    Movie Nut Member ✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    OK, Deactiviating the remaining Direct Connect and adding new allowed that account to come in and link properly. Both are now EWC +. One Step Update works as expected. No need to delete finanacila instituiotion name or account number. Just deactivate and then add as a new account.  DO NOT setup online services.

Adding as Online Billers not yet working. Finds only the first account and shows as needs attention. Not unexpected as this feature has not yet been properly restored in development.

So, for now, I am through a very difficult transition for me. Will have patience on restoring Online Billers.
    Followed the process of saving a backup, deactivating Chase downloads. Closed Quicken for awhile, then reopened Quicken, Went to Tools, Add Account, selected Chase Icon. This presented me with the option of logging onto my Chase account, selected that and was redirected browser. Logged In, my account was already shared, so I accepted prompts and was redirected back to Quicken where I chose the default option of "Link to Existing Account", which already had my existing Chase account selected. Got message about 79 days of downloads, but I only had one duplicate to delete. 
    IF QUICKEN had advised us in advance to deactivate Chase downloads, this could ALL have been prevented.
    P.S. PLEASE fix the Windows Mouse "Snap to" feature which has not worked in Quicken for years!
    "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are"
    Windows 11 Pro, Quicken Subscription
    Intel Core i7-12700, 32GB Ram
  • WAH26
    WAH26 Member ✭✭
    Why doesn't Quicken instruct you to deactivate before reauthorizing. Seems like thats just another Quicken failure making life difficult for users.
  • I successfully converted all of my accounts except one by deactivating online services first. This lone credit account is deactivated but when I go through the Chase activation process, it says that the account is shared with Quicken and there is no way to change that. When it returns to the Quicken "Activate One Step Update", this account is listed with all the others with an action of "Don't add to Quicken" and there is no way to change that either.
  • dwightshelley
    dwightshelley Unconfirmed, Member
    I solved this by 'deactivating' each Chase account in Quicken (account page, edit, online services). I then activated the account and it took me to the new Chase site to download the account info. When that was done, I went back to Quicken, clicked the 'Sync' button, and when the Chase accounts popped up I was able to link them to the existing Quicken accounts I already had. Once that was done, then I actually downloaded the account data as usual.
  • When I got to the page that did not have the name of my checking account that I wanted to link to in the drop down box, I made a note of the name of the account that Quicken wanted to add. Then I selected cancel to remove that page. Next, using Edit, I renamed my checking account to exactly match the noted name. Now when I select Update, Quicken sent me to Chase for verification. When I came back to the link page, all of my accounts were properly linked. Smooth as can be!
  • supecoop
    supecoop Member ✭✭
    Everyone should read this thread before implementing the Chase update. It's just a disaster!
  • Neil Kane
    Neil Kane Member ✭✭
    Same!!!!
  • tgreen1111
    tgreen1111 Member ✭✭
    Same problem, copying from above:

"I had no problem with the conversion until the very last step. The new accounts are listed with the usual options to "Link to Current Account" as well as "don't link" and "add account". The problem I encountered when clicking "link to current account" is that the listing did not include my current Chase accounts. Consequently I couldn't finish the process."

I solved by disconnecting the accounts running process again. BUT I've now had to repeat he process...each time takes 20 minutes...totally defeats the purpose of convenient downloads.
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    sort of. Quicken alerted me to reauthorize my Chase account. During this process at the point where it links to the existing account in Quicken it wasn't showing the correct Chase account that is in my file. It listed a wrong account or create a new account. I closed out without doing anything.
    For some reason it doesn't see my existing Chase account to link to.

Update.
    During today's One Step Update is when I got the reauthorize message. So, I skipped doing Chase in the OSU because the reauthorize didn't complete with linking to my Quicken file, but, it did complete the part with signing into Chase and authorizing Quicken and Intuit.
    After the OSU, I messed up transacting in a Retirement account, so I did a restore from backup. Now when I do OSU it does Chase correctly. Must be since I completed the reauthorize with Chase it didn't really need to relink inside Quicken because that is working ok.
     ---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
  • Robert Berman
    Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
    This is how the Schwab upgrade went also. Quicken's directions are useless.

You need to Deactivate all the Chase accounts then do the "add account" in the Tools dropdown or use the "+" icon on the "Accounts" line. Then select the Chase icon and let it do its thing back in Quicken.

I have 6 Chase accounts. Four of them made it through the process unscathed. Two of them now had messed up ending balances and new duplicated transactions which were in cleared status. I deleted the new cleared ones and the ending balance was still off, but there was also an "Opening balance" at the beginning of each account which I hadn't entered before. So I tweaked that so the ending balance was now correct.

I also reran the OSU and it ran fine.

One of these days I'll dig into the two accounts with the wrong opening balances and figure out what else Quicken did - probably duplicate reconciled transactions or something.

• Robert Berman
    Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
    And before you do this, be sure to create a full backup!!!! It is nice to be able to roll back!!
This discussion has been closed.