Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee

Answers

• @JordiParra One follow up to my previous post, on my new computer under the Administrator login I uninstalled Quicken using a program that also removed any associated registry entries before I reinstalled Quicken 2017 in Step 2.

I had installed Quicken 2017 on my computer so many times, as well as Quicken 2018, and the current software from the Quicken website (disliked both, refused to pay for a new subscription and was determined to get 2017 running), that I knew the registry was probably 'junked up' and maybe preventing me from seeing my data in 2017.

There are many programs out there. I used the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller which did fine for me, but again, there are several options to use.
  • Zid Angeles
    Zid Angeles Member ✭✭
    Maybe the old ProgramData folders might work, but, what if my old PC adopted already the issue?
    I just did reinstall to a new PC (home PC) 2 weeks ago, and this same issue happened. When I came back to my Office PC, in which the last time I opened it works normally, is now also doing the same problem. I assume both my PC's ProgramData files and folders are now no difference that I can use as a backup.
    - Q2017 user
    - from PH
  • Zid Angeles
    Zid Angeles Member ✭✭
    Follow-up, are the files in the ProgramData are personalized by account or identical with all of us? If it's the latter, then we can share each others' files from there to fix the issue?
    - Q2017 user
    - from PH
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zid Angeles
    Do you have a system backup or a regular backup of your computer containing those folders that you could restore the folders from?
    I have no idea what all is kept in the Quicken folders, but I would NEVER use folders from someone else's computer, who knows what else might be lurking in them.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• I did not use a backup. I just copied the files from my old computer to my new one. If you do a new install of Quicken 2017 on your new computer then migrate to the Program Data folder and look at the folders you’ll see they’re different than the same folders on your old computer.

As previously stated in this post someone mentioned moving the Config folder which is different on my old and new computer. I loved the entire quicken folder because there were other subfolders which also had different data.

I copied the Program Data’s Quicken folder from my old computer to a USB and pasted it in the same file path on the new computer. My Quicken 2017 opened right up and has been working perfectly.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah Any comment from Quicken Inc if this will be fixed?

Not everyone is going to have an old install of Quicken to try to copy files from and jump through this loop.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW, Q Sarah is no longer with Quicken Inc. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    @Chris_QPW, Q Sarah is no longer with Quicken Inc. 

Thank you.  I sort of remembered that, but I wasn't sure.  But I doubt it matters.

Quicken Inc has a tendency to answer such matters with silence, which is an answer in itself.
    Signature:
  • Totally agree. Quicken Inc likes to say they have a Data Access Guarantee but no one I talked to had heard of it or knew how to help me access me data.

At first my data was just blocked by a large white box. I knew it was there. I could see it if I ran a Validate File option. Figured no big deal. Quicken is just protecting themselves against illegal copying and selling of their product; that’s fine. Thought I’d call, verify my info, they’d confirm I previously bought/registered the software and send me a patch to access it.

No such luck. I found more assistance in these discussion boards than I got from them. This thread was the most helpful and I just built off what I found here. So thanks to all who contributed their piece to the overall solution (at least a solution that worked for me. Individual results may very 😁).
  • Zid Angeles
    Zid Angeles Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > @"Zid Angeles"
    > Do you have a system backup or a regular backup of your computer containing those folders that you could restore the folders from?
    > I have no idea what all is kept in the Quicken folders, but I would NEVER use folders from someone else's computer, who knows what else might be lurking in them.

Sadly, I don't have backup from those files. At least that config folder on the ProgramData if that's what will work. :(
    - Q2017 user
    - from PH
  • I'm having same blank screen issue with Quicken after installing from a disc, 2017 Quicken Deluxe. I had been using 2013 Home & Business on my old computer. Installed 2017 from disc and loaded back-up from flash drive on new computer. I can see my dashboard with data in background. Get pop-up window asking if I want to upgrade to Home & Business, I say no as I only use my personal data now. Then screen goes blank. So - any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nicole144 said:
    I'm having same blank screen issue with Quicken after installing from a disc, 2017 Quicken Deluxe. I had been using 2013 Home & Business on my old computer. Installed 2017 from disc and loaded back-up from flash drive on new computer. I can see my dashboard with data in background. Get pop-up window asking if I want to upgrade to Home & Business, I say no as I only use my personal data now. Then screen goes blank. So - any suggestions? Thanks.
    My suggestion would be to stay with Quicken 2013.  There really isn't that much different between Quicken 2013 and Quicken 2017 if you are doing manual entry.  And Quicken 2013 is the last version that avoid the whole problem of logging in with a Quicken Id.
    Signature:
  • They want us to pay for a newer version. Can't blame them, but I'm on SSA and can't afford much software these days. Poor mouthing is cheap. :)
  • Rebecca J
    Rebecca J Member
    edited September 2022
    I created a new Quicken file. I wanted to add accounts to the file. The accounts I added are not showing up when I open the file. There is a white screen with a message at the bottom to contact support. This has not happened to me before.
    Has anyone else had this happen and how can I fix this?
  • MichaelConn99. Thank you, this worked for my Quicken 2016. I thought I had used it on this PC not that long ago but it would not open today.

I copied the Quicken folder in the Intuit data folder as you mentioned and it worked. (I also renamed another folder to XXQuicken from Quicken. It did not restore itself and seems to be unneeded. I do not know how long it has been on this PC but the files in it are all dated today.)

I did not install the patches that are available from Quicken and yet it seems to be working fine. The computer I grabbed the Quicken folder from is running Windows 11 and this PC is still on Windows 10.
  • Zid Angeles
    Zid Angeles Member ✭✭
    Uhh any update on this problem for those who don't have old programdata, quicken config files/folder?
    - Q2017 user
    - from PH
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Uhh any update on this problem for those who don't have old programdata, quicken config files/folder?
    It would seem from the lack of responses from Quicken Inc that they don't care.
    Signature:
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

Thank for reaching out to us about this issue. I am sorry that you are being affected by this problem, and that a response was not provided sooner.

In this case, reaching out to Quicken Support would be the best option, as an upgrade will be necessary. This can be done via the link provided here. The original Intuit ID would be outdated, and will no longer work when entered at the prompt.

I hope that is helpful, and thanks again for your patience.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jared, this issue has nothing to do with the original Intuit ID. It's obvious that Quicken has changed the Data Access Guarantee to only include Quicken Subscription and disabled use of Quicken 2017 and earlier.

"
    Quicken 2017 and older versions: The Data Access Guarantee only applies to the Subscription Release of Quicken. Quicken 2017 and older versions may still work, but they are no longer supported."

Why doesn't Quicken just admit that they no longer want users to use Quicken 2017 and earlier?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Quicken Jared
    @Quicken Jared, this issue has nothing to do with the original Intuit ID. It's obvious that Quicken has changed the Data Access Guarantee to only include Quicken Subscription and disabled use of Quicken 2017 and earlier.

"Quicken 2017 and older versions: The Data Access Guarantee only applies to the Subscription Release of Quicken. Quicken 2017 and older versions may still work, but they are no longer supported."

Why doesn't Quicken just admit that they no longer want users to use Quicken 2017 and earlier?
    Hello @Greg_the_Geek,  

Thanks for making sure this was made clearer.

It has always been the case that the Quicken Data Access Guarantee applies only to subscription products; the FAQ was clarified recently to reflect this. Older versions of the software will not feature updates or online banking services, per our Discontinuation Policy explained here, under the section entitled What is discontinuation? Which Quicken services are discontinued? You may use older programs, of course, although we cannot offer certainty that they will function as expected. We have warned that we cannot guarantee access, in the past. 

I hope that explains this matter more thoroughly. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jared

"Quicken 2017 and older versions: The Data Access Guarantee only applies to the Subscription Release of Quicken. Quicken 2017 and older versions may still work, but they are no longer supported."

@Greg_the_Geek,    

Understood. I have responded to you in the thread in question. 

Thanks for conversing with us about this, and have a great evening!

-Quicken Jared 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is ironic that in the distant past I warned that just having to install using a Quicken Id was dependent on how long they would support it (or stay in business) and even suggest saying the configuration folder because in the even more distant past that was a workaround for registering on a new machine, and low and behold I never saved the configuration folders from all of these versions of Quicken.

On the other hand this doesn't really affect me because first off I had no problem paying for/using Quicken Subscription, at least until the change over on Chase to Express Web Connect +.

And I was already going to stop using Quicken when that was final.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    This situation has me considering stopping using Quicken altogether. As if the nag reminder taking up 25% of your expired version screen was not passive aggressive enough, now Quicken has disabled installation of sunsetted versions. It’s a disgusting tactic. Why would I ever trust such an underhanded company with my finances?

Edit to add: 
    Before the subscription version, there was no need for the data access guarantee as you could install and use any sunsetted version as long as you could coerce the OS to support it. So saying the data access guarantee has only ever applied to subscription versions is irrelevant to this discussion. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Zid Angeles
    Zid Angeles Member ✭✭
    This is really a sad news. Well, I wonder at least is there any other way to export all my data to a spreadsheet or any other way usable without quicken? It's all my data after all and I need to retrieve it back for my own use.
    - Q2017 user
    - from PH
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is really a sad news. Well, I wonder at least is there any other way to export all my data to a spreadsheet or any other way usable without quicken? It's all my data after all and I need to retrieve it back for my own use.
    Well, there is paying for Quicken Subscription and exporting both in QIF and Excel format of what you need, and then ask for a refund (before 30 days are up).
    Signature:
  • How about a class action lawsuit?
  • cick0
    cick0 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, @MichaelConn99 !!!
    To summarize what just worked for me after trying different options from the threads:

1. Use Revo Uninstaller to clean up an existing installation and remove the leftover files (I did not clean the registry as the leftover keys did not seem too important).
    2. Install Quicken 2017
    3. Replace the quicken.ini file in ProgramData/Intuit/Quicken/Config/
    4. Install the patch (QW2017R20.5MPatch)
    5. Run Quicken
    6. Select Restore backup option using your .qdf file as the source or just use your existing .qdf file

After years of hibernation, I needed to check some records from 2017. Fortunately, I still had a working copy in a VM. Had that not been the case, all would be lost. Thanks for the hints!
  • cick0
    cick0 Member ✭✭
    Somewhat foolproof option to see your data with old version of Quicken would be:

- Create a virtual machine. VirtualBox and VMWare Player are free.
    - Install Windows. Quicken 2017 should work on Windows 7, 10, 11. Windows installation can be downloaded for free and used for 30 days, which should be enough to get your data out or whatever.
    - get the [Registration] section from quicken.ini (this may require some experimentation regarding which values would work and which sections need to be copied)
    - Install Quicken as per the steps in the post above.

Fortunately, I'm a Linux user so had Quicken installed and used only in a VM for years.
    Another option would be to install Quicken with Wine on Linux. It's been reported to work on WineHQ AppDB.

It sucks finding out that you have (almost) become a hostage with 20 years of your financial data right in front of your nose but inaccessible. You even see it during the Validation step and then Puf!, it's gone again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity I found the original webpage for the Data Access Guarantee at:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20181210151951/https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

As you can see from the date (in 2018) and the fact that they are talking about renewing the subscription which Quicken 2017 and below don't have.  This guarantee doesn't apply to Quicken 2017 and below.  So @Quicken Jared is quite correct in pointing this that doesn't apply because the title of this thread is "Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee"

Which implies they original poster and others think it does apply when in fact it doesn't.

Also I would point out that is statement isn't correct either:
    mshiggins said:
    Before the subscription version, there was no need for the data access guarantee as you could install and use any sunsetted version as long as you could coerce the OS to support it. So saying the data access guarantee has only ever applied to subscription versions is irrelevant to this discussion. 
    At no time did Intuit or Quicken Inc imply that you be able to use/access your data forever using Quicken 2017 and below.  In fact, given the good old lawyers the terms of service say that exact opposite that they do not guarantee that it will even serve your purposes.

Again the "coercing the OS" is an assumption made by the users.  Nothing that was ever stated.
    And it was the failure of the users to understand what having to being forced to log into a Intuit/Quicken Id implies to register/access their data means.

I warned about this for quite bit back then, but it mostly fell on death ears.
    Quicken Inc could go out of business tomorrow and the servers shutdown, and no one would be able to log in (subscription people too).

It is my belief that Quicken Inc didn't purposely cutoff anyone.

They changed the login system for some reason and that broke the login for the older versions of Quicken.  To them this is no different than if there was OS change that broke an old version of Quicken.
    They weren't actively trying to break old versions, but they are also not going to spend any resources to fix anything in the old versions if something they are doing for the current system breaks the old versions of Quicken.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.