Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee

Options
12346»

Answers

• ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    I hope this thread is still going. Having the same transfer problem. Quicken user since 1996. Installed my 2016 QD disc to new computer. Transferred the old Quicken.ini file form Windows 10 folder to overwrite the new file in W 11. Didn't work. Unistalled Quicken folder from C:\ProgramFiles(x86) and transferred Quicken folder from old computer to new at same location in Program Files(x86). Didn't get the login ID screen (Quicken/Intuit) but had blank page allowing me to go to File>Open File and selected my Q data file which I had copied over but didn't open. got the box and clicked in "yes" but still couldn't get to it. did not try patches since didn't know which one to start with. I can go back/uninstall to start again transferring the .ini file and the Quicken folder. In my file explorer screen on old machine there was no "config" folder that I could find. Am I missing something? Any suggestions for changing process? For now I'm still using on my old computer which is on it's dying days.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would suggest uninstalling Quicken, install from your Quicken 2016 CD with your internet connection disabled. Install the Quicken 2016 R19.5 Mondo patch. Copt the Config folder from C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\ from the Windows 10 computer to the Windows 11 on and then trying Quicken.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    Thank you Greg. I just now found the hidden ProgramData/Intuit/Quicken/Config folder with the Quicken.ini file. I'll go through the process again. I don't believe I've been online with Quicken since they switched over to subscription or even before that but I'll pull the internet cable. I'll transfer the entire Intuit/Quicken folder. Do I still replace the Quicken.ini file in the Windows folder?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options

I would try replacing the QUICKEN.INI in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\ before replacing the whole Config folder. I don't believe the is a QUICKEN.INI file in the Windows folder.

• ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    tried to run the latest mondo patch for 2016 (which upon download was entitled smartpatch.exe) and got error message could not run missing "msvcp120.dll" file. My c:\windows 10 folder has a quicken.ini file in its list.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options

MSVCP120.DLL - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

There shouldn't be a quicken.ini in C:\Windows.

• ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    this is the actual download file name QW2016R19.5MPatch.exe
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options

That's the Quicken 2016 R19.5 Mondo patch.

• ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    should I install the updates that are part of the disc install process or cut that off
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options

No, just install the R19.5 Mondo patch

• ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    Could not install patch. got error message missing msvcp120.dll, apparently resides in windows system 32
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options

You need download/install this Visual C++ from my previous

• ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    I"m a novice. Will that download affect any other function of windows on my new machine?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options

No, it won't

• ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    Guess I can't just download the .dll file and place it somewhere. Multiple files with this name but with additional letters in the name. There seem to be a number of files with this same name, some in Office\root and another in Turbotax. On the old computer none appear to be associated with Quicken or Intuit. On the new computer there is one in common folder of program files. So the Visual C++ download will be many files or just one? It will install itself in the right location?
  • ncdomer
    ncdomer Member
    Options
    Will this delete or overwrite anything else?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options

MSVCP120.DLL is a Windows Dynamic Link Library that's part of the Visual C++ Redistributable Package. Just run the installation program to get everything where it belongs.

• GaryS1234
    GaryS1234 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @MichaelConn99 said:
    > @JordiParra One follow up to my previous post, on my new computer under the Administrator login I uninstalled Quicken using a program that also removed any associated registry entries before I reinstalled Quicken 2017 in Step 2.
    >
    > I had installed Quicken 2017 on my computer so many times, as well as Quicken 2018, and the current software from the Quicken website (disliked both, refused to pay for a new subscription and was determined to get 2017 running), that I knew the registry was probably 'junked up' and maybe preventing me from seeing my data in 2017.
    >
    > There are many programs out there. I used the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller which did fine for me, but again, there are several options to use.
    >
    >

Thank you so much! I also was getting very frustrated trying to load my (purchased) 2016 Quicken from my old computer to new and tried changing my password, copying files, etc, to no avail. I did NOT want to purchase a new subscription. Your method worked like a charm. I just want to say, that backing up and restoring the data files were unnecessary. I just copied the old files over and they worked fine. Also, simply installing the program removed any older programs so using an uninstaller was unnecessary. FYI.
  • OneMoreUser
    OneMoreUser Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you guys for these thread.

Unfortunatelly I'm understood that I'm in **** now with all ages of my stored finances history :( Thanks Quicken….

Got few more questions to conclude. I haven't backup of quicken.ini

1. Why it can be shared by someone? As I can see it is pure text file config. Isn't it?
    2. If It still can't be restored am I right understood that now I have only two options
      1. Rollback to Quicken 2013 and convert somehow quicken 2017 data file to 2013 if it is possible
      2. try subscribtion for 30 days and after expiration use quicken with huge banners.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@OneMoreUser

#1 In theory that would be a license violation. One person's license isn't transferable to another.

#2a Quicken 2013 can't read a Quicken 2017 data file, so the only way to go back to Quicken 2013 would be to export a QIF file and import that into Quicken 2013. Since you can't open your data file in Quicken 2017 to do that export then only way to do the export would be to pay for Quicken Subscription, do the export and then return it for a refund. #2b, yes that is another way to do it.

Here is some information on the problems you might encounter doing the QIF export/import:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

#1 I tried this with the config.ini from my brother-in-law and it didn't work for me.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• OneMoreUser
    OneMoreUser Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, guys. This would be at least some options to work with my old data and start thinking about quicken alternatives. I'll not pay any penny anymore to this organization….

Btw maybe someone know if there are some alternative applications where possible to some kind of transfer data from quicken?

• OneMoreUser
    OneMoreUser Member ✭✭
    Options

Last one question. Is Quicken 2013 is the only one option to rollback and it is the latest version which can be used without that login issue? Or for example Quicken 2015 also hasn't this issue? I mean what is the latest version of Quicken can be used with approach to convert data file (with subscription) and rollback to the previous version?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@OneMoreUser Quicken 2013 is the last version that doesn't use a Quicken Id, that is why it is the suggested version to rollback to for the people that don't want to use Quicken Subscription. And to register any version that has a Quicken Id requires that it be logged in, which is now being blocked by the Quicken servers for any version other than Quicken Subscription. Copying the Quicken.ini file from a working machine basically "registers it", and therefore bypasses the need to login to the Quicken Id. So, any "rollback" for anyone that doesn't have a working Quicken.ini file would have to be install Quicken Subscription, export to QIF, and import into Quicken 2013 or earlier. Note because there is a 30 day refund on Quicken Subscription one might purchase it, do the QIF export/import and then get their money back.

https://www.quicken.com/support/Terms-and-Conditions-For-Exchanging-Canceling-or-Refunding-Quicken-Products

And here is some information about importing:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TCrunk
    TCrunk Member
    Options

@MichaelConn99 Thank you! Your process worked for me after a few modifications, because I had already installed and opened 2017.

Here's what I did:

Your Step (1)

(1a) Uninstall Quicken 2017. Delete any Intuit or Quicken folder left behind in ProgramData. Also, I deleted the Intuit folder in Program Files (x86)\Common Files (Not sure if that was necessary, but I did it). Removed deleted files from Recycle Bin.

(1b) Disconnected the computer from the internet (Airplane Mode). Rebooted the computer.

Your Step (2) but I DID NOT turn off Antivirus and Firewall.

Proceeded with steps 3 - 5.

• MichaelConn99
    MichaelConn99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @TCrunk I'm glad to hear that several of us were able to use this, or a slight variation of this, process, to reclaim our files without having to resort to being strong armed and paying Quicken to use a version of their program that does not meet our needs.
  • jreimann
    jreimann Member
    Options

While using Quicken 2017, it froze right in the middle of recording a couple transactions. After finding these two comments, it finally worked! I had to use my husband's config files because I think mine were somehow corrupted. We copied the config files and used the downloaded patch all while being disconnected to the internet. We have now backed up the original config files and the mondo QW2017R20.5 patch onto a thumb drive to make sure we have them handy, and we turned off all Windows automatic updates. It does tick me off that Quicken is trying to hold us captive to their "subscription" when we purchased the software and don't want the monthly costs. Thank you for these helpful ideas!

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

@jreimann, FWIW, you purchased a license to use Quicken 2017. You agreed to the EULA when you installed the software that Quicken could discontinue services after the expiration date.

This discussion has been closed.