New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Lots of confusion here. Just got the prompt to update my Chase connection method this morning. First it didn't let me link to my existing account, even after the morning's upgrade. Closed Q and restarted, now I could link to my existing account. 93 transactions were downloaded, all old! I deleted all but the two known new ones. Couldn't reconcile because my balance was off by hundreds of dollars. My Chase account had reconciled Saturday.

Restored yesterday's backup, deactivated my Chase account, and ran the One-Step update on the remainder. No issue except:

1) Of course, I'm not asking it to update Chase. It's deactivated.
    2) There is now no update. They most have pulled it this morning.

Leaving Chase alone, keeping my 9/5 backup data file, and waiting for a new update. My current version is R43.20 / Build 27.1.43.20. Not sure what it was when my old file updated this morning.
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • Misterbill
    Misterbill Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Quicken is not hanging for me, but given what happened, it probably would have been better if it did.

I was notified this morning that there was an updated version of Quicken which fixed the problem with the Chase update not linking accounts correctly, which I had noticed last week. I installed it and tried resetting one account which had not been linked properly. I ended up with a couple of accounts linked to my FIDELITY accounts, which had been linked properly. Seems like the latest "fix" is worse than the original.

Actually, I realized that I ended up with three Fidelity accounts that were changed to Chase. Deactivated online services for those and reactivated online services with Fidelity. What a disaster. And I still do not have all of my Chase accounts set up properly.
  • Misterbill
    Update -- I just did a One Step Update and got this, and I didn't think that these accounts had been affected. I just restored my data file from the pre-update version. Not worth trying to fix this disaster. I won't bother trying to fix my Chase accounts until I get word that the problem is REALLY fixed.

• jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    After having my 25-year-old data file corrupted in early March due to an update (I have a workaround), everyone should be very careful about backing up. I was never alerted to the system-wide data corruption that occurred in March on payroll splits except through this forum after it was too late to undo, as I had deleted the month-old backup data file. I will never forget that.
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Oh, by the way. The update that did happen earlier did not create a backup file!!! I just checked out of curiosity. No backup for this morning before I manually restored my data file from my separate system from yesterday.

Protect your data files!!!

- Jim S.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Steve360@ said:
    Thank you @Connman ! Your steps worked perfectly.

I have a total of 6 Chase accounts (across checking, savings, credit cards). I deactivated each one and then went to add a new account. After authorizing with Chase it was able to add all 6 with the option to link to each one's correct existing Quicken account. One checking account was the only one that had an opening balance that needed to be deleted but the rest all matched current correct balances.

I'll feel better in a day or so when I see transactions being correctly downloaded.

Crisis averted (for now) - thanks again!!

After installing the newest version and then restoring from a backup from yesterday to restore me to pre-duplicated Chase account status I found this method worked best for me. Went in and deactivated online services for each Chase account. Then did setup online services for one of the accounts. This triggered the Chase login through web browser process which needed a little extra step. It wouldn't trigger Chase/web browser etc until I clicked Back in the Quicken window and then clicked on Chase icon. Once I did that the Chase login was triggered into my web browser. I did that and just clicked through the Chase screens then waited a minute until activity handed back to Quicken. At that point I was able to link existing credit card accounts, actually Quicken had already correctly figured out three of the credit card accounts. I didn't get any opening balance transactions though I did get like 1-3 stray transactions downloaded for each account that I was able to delete before accepting.

Bottom line; for me deactivating Chase accounts before starting process worked well.
  • Misterbill
    edited September 2022
    Update 2 -- I restored from last week, and it seems like the links are still broken. Is it possible that those are in a file that does not get backed up and restored? This is a major disaster. My other option for restoring is from much earlier in August, since I was away for 2.5 weeks, but then I'd have to accept a bunch of transactions.
  • KWS3C
    KWS3C Member
    My checking in Quicken to my Chase was fully reconciled prior to the migration. After the migration and doing a lot of digging, it appears that at least one or more transactions dating from prior to mid-2015 disappeared (ie. by Quicken account was no longer reconciled to my actual balance). As Chase only has statements dating back 7 years - that was as far as I could go. My balance was off in Quicken vs. the actual the same amount going back 7 years.

Now my online credit card balance no longer reconciles with Quicken.
  • Heisenberg_
    Heisenberg_ Member
    edited September 2022
    [Removed - Rant/Profanity] Every time I load and try to connect I keep getting the need to authorize message. I go through the entire process and then i get back to the message showing an account without the ability to select. [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • Joe4369
    Joe4369 Member ✭✭
    This Chase transition has been a complete FAIL!
  • Murali Narayanan
    Murali Narayanan Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    A tip worth considering. Update Quicken to the latest version, de-activate all the Chase accounts and then do the re-authorization. It worked for me except it didnt properly reconcile my last transaction in 2 of the 4 chase accounts (one checking, one savings, and 2 credit cards) I have. Also, backup your data file prior to any updates. [Removed - Rant]
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    When updating there is a request to authorize Chase accounts. Authorization is SUCCESSFUL. Great! Not so fast. Action now ADD to Quicken, or LINK TO EXISTING ACCOUNT. That's good BUT the drop-down menu does NOT list that account and that's for ALL my Chase accounts, 5 of them! Now what?
  • GM
    GM Member ✭✭
    This chase transition have been a big problem. While I finally got most issues resolved, the update did connect a chase checking account to a Fidelity account which then really created a roadblock. Deactivating accounts before starting really helps but suggest that you check your other accounts to see if they have somehow been tied into this chase update.
  • cmarshall52
    cmarshall52 Member ✭✭
    > @Phil said:
    > When updating there is a request to authorize Chase accounts. Authorization is SUCCESSFUL. Great! Not so fast. Action now ADD to Quicken, or LINK TO EXISTING ACCOUNT. That's good BUT the drop-down menu does NOT list that account and that's for ALL my Chase accounts, 5 of them! Now what?

Check out the previous posts on this issue. The workaround seems to be to deactivate online services for your Chase accounts and then retry the Chase authorization. That worked for me and apparently for others as well,
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    ok, thanks. it worked, had some duplicate entries. No biggie and good to go
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Connection works but cannot reconcile. The VISA online balance doesn't match my Quicken balance or Chase's web site. Compared registers and mine matches Chases online web site. My Quicken account balance also matches Chase's web site. But that is not what Quicken is showing as my online balance. So, my register is good, matches Chase's, but I cannot reconcile in Quicken.

I had manually updated Chase's account earlier when I could not connect. When I enabled the connection this afternoon, it was successful, but no new transactions were downloaded, so no duplicates to delete. Again, I accepted zero transactions, and the connection didn't offer any. I cannot reconcile even though everything agrees with Chase's web site.

- Jim S.
  • the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    It seems this is a going in circles on what works and what doesn't work. What's the official Quicken stand on this problem? Are they still working to resolve the problem or are we expected to use the "workaround" and resolve the duplicate transactions ourselves?

I encountered the message on Sunday to migrate to EWC+ and went through all the steps successfully until the end when no Chase accounts appeared in the drop down list to link. Having had prior "bad" experience where it added a new account and I had to merge the two registers together, I chose to cancel. It still appears as though I am using the old "Direct Connect" method and it still seems to import transactions.

Is Quicken planning to resolve this problem for their customers? Also, will the "Direct Connect" continue to work until it is fully tested and resolved by Quicken?
  • bparts
    bparts Member ✭✭
    Do i want to accept them, or delete them. I now have two chase accounts, one with years of historical downloads and the "New" account which has the past 90 days transactions with no categories and a new opening balance dated 6/6/2022.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Direct Connect is being terminated by CHASE - not Quicken. Also BofA and others to come. The day they decide they have had enough, which was announced as Sept 26th, then its over. The banks control the faucet. Quicken needs to get users connected through alternative means.
    That is what they are trying to do here. And failing at.
    NOTE: EWC + is a QUICKEN term, not Chase. CHASE knows it internally under a different name. But if you were to try to talk to them about EWC +, they would not have a clue.
    From what I understand, the design of the process to make this change was never supposed to require deactivating nor linking. It was supposed to know the accounts and have them stay live and just change the connection methodology.
    It didn't and still does not work as intended. Perhaps it did in a few isolated cases.
    Deactiviating, adding new, then linking was a WORKAROUND someone found that works in a convoluted way. It is not without its own problems. Some people took multiple tries. Some had to do one account at a time. Some got one account to work and not another.
    It was not the solution.
    But like many other user support forums, folks post here as if gospel rathen than, "I believe", or "This worked for me" or "YMMV" in many cases. So users sometime get themselves in deeper trouble. SOme get what they believe to be successes.
    That said, Quicken is not without fault in my opinion. They published instructions prematurely that were (are) flat out wrong and never were corrected that I have seen. They provided incomplete or incorrect advice at times when they did comment on the dozens of Chase threads. And NOBODY ever delved into the difference between a user currently connecting by Direct Connect or EWC Connect or whatever the MAC version of that is - at least that I had seen. And I have read a LOT of these threads and authored a few. There are differences.
    And again, all of this in my opinion - just how much did they test this? Not enough  - obviously.
    And today's HotFix seems to have created a whole new menu of issues.

• richshw
    richshw Member ✭✭
    agree, Quicken has had plenty of time to make sure this works and to be silent about this is not very good. This should be top priority.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    This is now really scaring me. Not even kidding after last March's fiasco on payroll splits.

I have now deactivated the new connection method, even though it connected, and will be manually entering transactions, clearing them, and reconciling them to match Chase's web site which is 100% accurate and is what I pay to each month.

I spent an hour knowing that my Quicken register and account balance matches Chase's, even though neither matches what Quicken says my online balance is. I do not want to risk additional connection downloads that will screw this up. It is currently correct.

So, one more strike against continuing Quicken. Four more accounts to go and I'll have a manual account manager... me.

- Jim S.
  • tronboy
    tronboy Member ✭✭
    Even though the release notes for R43.20 said this issue is fixed, I still don't see the correct accounts in the drop down for linking after the Chase bank re-authorization. I see a list of accounts that Quicken says I can link to, but the correct accounts are not present. I cancelled out of the re-authorization (again), and will wait until this issue is fixed. Please try again, Quicken, and please advise.
  • thorn5
    thorn5 Member ✭✭✭
    For me, I have elected to stay with Direct Connect for our Chase accounts until the bitter end using the ole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Sick and tired of beta testing Q's attempts to properly address this transition, and having to pay THEM for it.  Luckily, my Q subscription expires in December, and I will be asking for a 12-month free extension using this thread discussion as justification.
  • the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    > @thorn5 said:
    > For me, I have elected to stay with Direct Connect for our Chase accounts until the bitter end using the ole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Sick and tired of beta testing Q's attempts to properly address this transition, and having to pay THEM for it.  Luckily, my Q subscription expires in December, and I will be asking for a 12-month free extension using this thread discussion as justification.

Let us know if that work for you. I feel many problems we've had over the years should entitle us to at least a 3 or 6-month extension.
  • thorn5
    thorn5 Member ✭✭✭
    Hmm.  Just noticed this tread is marked "Answered".  I must have missed something along the way.  Does Q have a "Partially Answered" label , or perhaps one that says, "Don't have a clue"? 
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Chase problem same as others after the R43.20 update. Did the Reauthorization without error. When I returned to Quicken, Chase it could not Link to existing accounts so I end up with duplicate accounts and months of duplicates. Forget that. I restored to the last back up, and chose Skip, Do it later.

One step update worked at Chase for today as before. I will just use that file until Quicken notifies us that they fixed the Link problem. I hope it's before Chase closes the door on Direct Connect.

Curiously my HELP: About shows R43.20 but the backup link file name is R43.14. But it works as before for now.
  • I just have to add for my Chase/Quicken experience that seems to have failed any end user testing. I got two new accounts without the ability to link to existing Chase accounts.
    I deleted the new accounts and deactivated the current Chase accounts and did the reactivate and since I had already downloaded from Chase I did not pull any duplicate transactions into the old accounts but they are now linked.
    I manually checked the online register to quicken for anything that didn't download since my last pre-updating and added it manually.
    All is well after two hours of pulling hair and cruising Quicken.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Able to link existing accounts after deactivating old connection and going through online setup.  Problem is like many others is that it downloads too much data and changes existing reconciled transactions including categories causing transactions and balances issues across multiple accounts.  Been unable to fix and having to restore from last good backup file.
  • FlyerFran
    FlyerFran Windows Beta Beta
    Went through the Re-Authorization Process and had the following issues (I have 2 credit cards - mine & my wife's) under the same account:
    • Both cards were shown, without the ability to "Link to Existing" for either.
    • I had to deactivate the my card and then go through the reauthorization process again.  This time the "Link to Existing" was available.
    • In the past both cards downloaded into my account in Q' (the master account).  No longer working that way.  
  • ricklynchcore
    ricklynchcore Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Ok I reauthorized and instead of merging, I download the same 4 accounts as new. I accepted them, then deleted the accounts. Now when I download I get the question about reauthorizing but I skip it, and everything downloads fine because I am authorized with Chase. How do I stop Quicken from constantly asking me to reauthorize???? Messy, very messy!!!!
This discussion has been closed.