New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Options

Answers

• mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    After failing to get this to work earlier in the week by following the wizard, Today I followed other people's advice and I just went to TOOLS | ADD ACCOUNT and that worked (I feel like I tried this before, but it didn't work.)  Each Chase credit card account was presented with the option to link to the correct existing account in Quicken and I was able successfully complete the linking.  It told me it was downloading 90 days of transactions, but fortunately it didn't (only seemed to download payments and credits which I was able to delete without too much trouble.)
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    > @SteveY said:
    > while it downloaded transactions to checking, for the credit card it *says* it downloaded 2000ish transactions (just like it did for checking), it changes the opening balance (just like it did for checking), but no new transactions appear in the credit card account.
    >

Today I tried updating my card account, to see if it would download anything, and it showed error CC-800, that an account had been removed from Quicken. I went through the process (https://www.quicken.com/support/error-message-when-updating-accounts-cc-800) again, same result, changes the opening balance and downloads 2050 days of transactions but doesn't enter anything.

I did notice the account settings, the account number has changed from the card number to the last 4 digits "...1234" and is grayed out. Not at all sure that is relevant.
  • Connman
    Connman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just noticed another Chase/Quicken bug.  Quicken has the wrong online balance for Chase credit card accounts.  Instead of displaying the Current Balance or the Current Balance plus pending charges, it is display Current Balance minus Pending Charges.
    The weird part about the Chase balance issue for me was that one of two pending charges that were incorrectly dealt with somehow weren't even showing up on the Chase website yesterday when I first saw this problem.  In fact, they showed up today, but aren't supposed to be charged until the 10th (though that's not Chase's fault, nor abnormal for this utility's billing).  I could not figure out what was going on until today, reading your post and now seeing this additional charge showing up as pending.  And according to the other topic about this issue, it looks like Quicken has known about this for a couple of weeks, with no resolution?  This is ridiculous!
  • bobandsherry82
    bobandsherry82 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Gone from bad to worse.... got the constant message to reauthorize and Quicken failed to process that correctly. Then went and deactivated accounts, and now when I go to add them back it goes out to Chase which processes correctly, but Quicken just sits and spins. Finally, times out after many minutes with a connection failure issue. How fitting to a process that obviously Quicken has failed to appropriately test with one failure after another. I can't wait for my other accounts to change to this new process - sigh.
  • bobandsherry82
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Don't try to "relink".  Instead use Tools -> Add Account and at the end of that process it will present you with a list of your online accounts and pulldown menus you can use to link them to your existing accounts.

Thanks! This worked!
  • bobandsherry82
    Options
    > @bobandsherry82 said:
    > Gone from bad to worse.... got the constant message to reauthorize and Quicken failed to process that correctly. Then went and deactivated accounts, and now when I go to add them back it goes out to Chase which processes correctly, but Quicken just sits and spins. Finally, times out after many minutes with a connection failure issue. How fitting to a process that obviously Quicken has failed to appropriately test with one failure after another. I can't wait for my other accounts to change to this new process - sigh.

I continued to look for solution and found this - and it worked!!!

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > Don't try to "relink".  Instead use Tools -> Add Account and at the end of that process it will present you with a list of your online accounts and pulldown menus you can use to link them to your existing accounts.
  • Misterbill
    Misterbill Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Update 2 -- I restored from last week, and it seems like the links are still broken. Is it possible that those are in a file that does not get backed up and restored? This is a major disaster. My other option for restoring is from much earlier in August, since I was away for 2.5 weeks, but then I'd have to accept a bunch of transactions.

Ended up deactivating online services for all of my Chase accounts, including finding some that Quicken had created during the initial attempts to set things up with the new system (I missed one initially). Also had to deactivate three Fidelity accounts and change the name of the financial institution that had incorrectly been changed to Chase, since Quicken was mistakenly linking those when activating Chase and not offering an option to change the account in the account linking process (seems like a bug to me).

Finally, I got OSU to run cleanly and the other financial institutions that were getting errors are not anymore. What a disaster this update was!
  • MarcStone
    MarcStone Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm certain this has been discussed but I haven't located the answer. I know Chase is/has made changes on how they link to Quicken. I followed the instructions as provided and now my accounts have been duplicated in Quicken. I have the original ledgers from my checking and credit card accounts plus newer ones dating back 90 days.

My impulse is to deactivate the two newer ledgers, but someone suggested I transfer all the original data to the newer ledgers which is a daunting task considering I have attached files on almost every transaction.

What would be the appropriate action to correct this issue?

Thanks in advance - Marc
  • StillNotHappy
    Options
    Can't even get to Add or Link problems, if I follow Quicken's prompts from Update or Add Account it sends me to a blank screen at Chase, then nothing ever happens...

Intuit silence on this in the community is deafening. Unacceptable support, our subscriptions should auto-extend until this is repaired.

Just had to put up with this amateur month with the botched Schwab transition, someone please come up with a Quicken alternative!!

Twenty years of Q, running Premier now on Win11
  • jerry7773
    jerry7773 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have tried to "upgrade" my Chase connections (over the past 10 days) three times now. Each time but had to ditch the 'upgraded' file twice and go to or revert to a backup. I probably have 6 trouble shooting hours into this. There are several different scenarios but the closest - clean - upgrade leaves balances in (one of my three chase acc'ts) accounts were totally inaccurate and screwed up. I know what the hell I am doing as a 30+ user and I have never seen such poor code changes and horrible QA in Quicken. We pay for all of this BTW. Does/has anyone conducted the so called connection "upgrade" without altering the balances or any transactions in a given chase account?. This is a total disaster of epic proportions in my view...
  • StillNotHappy
    Options
    Another browser will open the Chase login URL, but after verifying and authorizing data transfer with Quicken at the Chase site it tries to send me to a -blank- page at quicken and the change never registers in the Quicken software. Q just send me to the same ineffective login page whether I try Add account or edit the online services or anything else. Circular time wasting

Wait out an actual fix from Intuit, Drop the Chase account or drop Quicken?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi @MarcStone,

There are two clear and diametrically opposite views on your question. 

If you review some, of the multitude, of recent posts discussing the problems folks have encountered that relate to the transition of Chase accounts from the old (Direct Connect) method to the new (Express Web Connect+) method of connecting one's accounts, you will find a plethora of views on your basic question. The Quicken Inc. view would be to keep the new accounts and "copy & paste" the past history into the newly added accounts and move on. 

Others have deleted the new accounts and then tried again to transition the old accounts to the new connection method by first deleting any and all connection information from those accounts, effectively disconnecting them, and then re-connecting them using the new method.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend either because I cannot realistically determine which is better - one path or the other. I am waiting for as long as possible before I make the move, in the hope that things settle down and become more stable (and the best option becomes more obvious) before the 9/26 deadline.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• StillNotHappy
    Options
    Chase sends me emails telling me "You've agreed to share data with Quicken". But no sign that Quicken knows this so far. All set-up options still lead to the Quicken Chase login screen > oblivion
  • bobono
    bobono Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was just prompted to download an update when I opened Quicken tonight (Sept 8th, 6:54pm PDT). Hoping that it was a good patch (and knowing I could restore to the backup datafile the update creates), I went ahead and installed it. When I ran One Step Update, it prompted me to reauthorize the Chase accounts as before, then redirected me to the Chase website to log in and authorize, and then redirected me back to Quicken. This time Quicken correctly showed both my existing Chase credit cards under the 'link to existing" option window (yay), and I was able to link and update the accounts successfully. Granted, it downloaded transactions from 60 to 90 days ago (which for me was just a handful) and since I don't allow automatic loading of downloaded transactions to my register, it was easy to delete them from the Downloaded Transaction panel at the bottom of the account registers before approving the application of the transactions. Find that option in Edit > Preferences > Downloaded Transactions. The update version in Help > About Quicken shows the new version as R43.20 Build 27.1.43.20, which sounds like the version previously released a day or two ago. But who knows... your mileage may vary.
  • Ronald E McClelland
    Options
    I have an additional issue with attempting to reconcile my Chase credit card account. I realize I have to include pending transactions, but the "Statement Ending Balance" and therefore the "Balances" button to show "Online Balance" is incorrect -- it does not match my account register balance or the balance shown on the Chase web (when adding pending transactions to current balance). Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
  • David Allan Haynes
    Options
    I'm very disappointed in Quicken... this is a mess....with reauthorization, neither of my accounts were able to be "linked"... either "don't" or install duplicate accounts... quicken had plenty of time to address the switch but failed to provide an acceptable update.. I deleted the duplicate accounts, so I suspect my accounts have not been reauthorized with the new download procedure... I find no way to verify whether or not the change has been installed on my accounts
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have an additional issue with attempting to reconcile my Chase credit card account. I realize I have to include pending transactions, but the "Statement Ending Balance" and therefore the "Balances" button to show "Online Balance" is incorrect -- it does not match my account register balance or the balance shown on the Chase web (when adding pending transactions to current balance). Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
    See this announcement:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918391/ongoing-9-8-22-chase-online-balance-including-pending-transactions
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ronald E McClelland
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > See this announcement:
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918391/ongoing-9-8-22-chase-online-balance-including-pending-transactions

Chris, as I stated in my post, I accounted for the pending transactions, The problem is that the online balance reported in the reconcile form DOES NOT MATCH the actual online balance
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe we should all wait until Quicken fixes this per the announcements. We all know it is broken with perhaps a few exceptions. We have until the 09/26.

• Ronald E McClelland
    Options
    > @Haapy said:
    > Maybe we should all wait until Quicken fixes this per the announcements. We all know it is broken with perhaps a few exceptions. We have until the 09/26.

Haapy, I would agree with you to wait, except this is a slightly different problem, but still related to the announcements. I just thought it might help delineate the problem. I was a software test engineer for over 20 years and my experience with developers is they appreciate all the info you have to help they troubleshooting.
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Helpful diagnosis is a good thing. 
    Waiting may be better for those that keep trying and failing. 
  • MarcStone
    MarcStone Member ✭✭
    Options
    I deleted the "newer ledgers" as they were simply duplicates of what I originally entered. I deactivated the login for my credit card as recommended by Quicken elsewhere in the website and tried to reactivate it. Not surprisingly, I can't connect to Chase anymore for my CC details.

This is a MAJOR screw-up whereas I'm giving serious thought to just dealing with Chase directly on their website for updated information and using Quicken without any further updates, subscriptions etc..
  • bellevue631
    Options
    Add another unsatisfied customer, reauthorization will not link to existing accounts, credit card numbers all messed up balance off by over 6k. Had to put in balance adjustments to have it somewhat the right ammount, but stated online balance way off.:(
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    " I would agree with you to wait, except this is a slightly different problem, but still related to the announcements. I just thought it might help delineate the problem. I was a software test engineer for over 20 years and my experience with developers is they appreciate all the info you have to help they troubleshooting."

My experience is that software developers use beta tests on their own machines first or some willing customers.  Doesn't look like Q does that after the Schwab Fiasco and now this. 
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I totally agree with you.
    I just offered this suggestion to those that are flailing away and being frustrated without providing analysis to help Quicken. They should wait to see what Quicken does.

Others that are willing to try to diagnose the problem or find workable solution should continue. Quicken needs all the help that they can find.

Beta testers should be a requirement. They should be asking for volunteers with enough experience to test and to be able to keep their current data safe. I give all those that have contributed with diagnoses much credit.

I only hope that Quicken reviews all the documentation provided in this thread. It would be a shame for that valuable information to be not reviewed. 

• cmclien
    cmclien Member ✭✭
    Options
    I spent hours yesterday trying to update to the new download process. Everytime it messed with my balances BEFORE I accepted any new transactions. Not only that but it was downloading the last 3 months of transactions to a LINKED ACCOUNT that were already reconciled. I tried all kinds of work arounds to no avail. When you choose "linked account" it shouldn't automatically try and re-download the last 90 days of transactions.

Today I went to try and figure it out again but my old "direct connect" links were back to working. Hoping the migration won't be forced on us now until these bugs are worked out!
  • bondtracker
    bondtracker Member ✭✭
    Options
    A few days ago, I went through the process of Deactivating my Chase downloads, then went through the process of reestablishing the connected. It downloaded a new Chase credit account with no link to merge my existing account with the Chase credit account. Using the process describe on another post, I selected all the transactions form my old account using a simple Select the first transaction, the select the last transaction and copy, then on the new account I did a paste. All transactions flowed into the new account. I then checked that the new account transactions of Transfers (paying my credit card balance from my bank) showed the duplicate transfers - one for the transfer from the bank to the old account and the other from the bank to the new account. I then deleted the old account. I then went to reconcile in my bank account using my latest statement. I was off by the presents of double payments to the credit card. The left side of the reconcile page had unchecked payment as they were never reconciled yet like the payment from the old account. I double clicked on each new payment which directed me to the register. There within a few transactions was the old payment transaction with a blank in the account to transfer to so I know it was from the old account. I deleted that reconciled old transaction, went back to the reconcile page and put the check on that transaction. I had approximately 4300 days of data, probable less than 100 payments. Everything reconciled to the penny. A lot of work. Now today I tried again to deactivate my credit card account and connect to Chase. It now permitted me to try to link accounts. Of course, I had deleted the old account. But it did download the entire 4300+ days not just 90 like the day before. Because they matched, there were no new transactions to enter. Lot of unnecessary work, very poor rollout. Quicken and Chase really failed us on this one.
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another thing I have noticed is that Quicken keeps removing the Chase credit card account from one step update. If I open the one step update settings, I can check that account and apply it, and it seems to save, but twice now, when I click the rotating-circle Update Accounts button in the menu bar the next day, that one account is not updated (not listed in the dialog box) when the update runs.

And I noticed that in the account details for the card account it has a prompt to "download and import transactions" to "import older transactions from your bank web site" that overwrites some background texting ending in "d connection method." Screen cap:
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "When you choose "linked account" it shouldn't automatically try and re-download the last 90 days of transactions."
    That's pretty much unavoidable.  With the new connection method you get new transaction IDs on all the downloaded transactions so  you can get a lot of duplicates.  But don't have transactions entering into your register automatically, make sure they go into the Downloaded Transactions area where you can delete them en masse with just a few clicks.
    Direct Connect will hang around for a while but it's going to be gone before the end of September.  Watch out for changes in Accounts' Opening Balances when you do the changeover; both my credit cards had their Opening Balances changed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Young said:
    But don't have transactions entering into your register automatically, make sure they go into the Downloaded Transactions area where you can delete them en masse with just a few clicks. 
    There is an exception to this rule.  On the first connection after the conversion Quicken is going to put all the transactions in the register, you can't stop this.  This is the same as if you were creating a new account in Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.