New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Options

Answers

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread keeps going in circles, so I'd still like to hear from Quicken Support @Quicken Anja or someone regarding this problem.

Quicken, should we still expect a fix that will resolve the problem in migrating to EWC+ with accurate linking to existing accounts and with no duplicate transactions and no Pending Transactions?

I'm still on Direct Connect and don't want to use some non-Quicken tested workaround if it involves removing hundreds of duplicate transaction or losing my categories and notes.

Quicken Support should be providing additional information and updates regarding the status of the problem. The thread that we've been redirected to doesn't allow posts, so I am posting this here hoping someone from Quicken Support will read this.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In a way the second account and using move transactions might be a better alternative to linking to the existing account and getting duplicate transactions.

There isn't going to be 100% clean way to do this conversion.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Matthew
    Matthew Member ✭✭
    Options
    Even after the 43.20 patch, I was still having the problem of not being able to link to an existing Chase account. I restored the file. I also had renamed my Chase Amazon and United mileage accounts to something more "friendly". On a hunch, I renamed my accounts to what the Chase re-authorization was using - i.e. Amazon Prime XX9999. I tried again and THIS time, both accounts were automatically linked to my existing accounts.

So maybe this would work for you if you've renamed your accounts...
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    After I went through the reauthorization process with Chase, and Chase confirmed the authorization, I deleted the "new" accounts and left the old ones alone. Closed Quicken, reopened and did another OSU. I ignored the prompt telling me to reauthorize the accounts. My cleared transactions downloaded just fine. This was two days ago and everything is back to normal, except I still get the prompt from Quicken.
  • thorn5
    thorn5 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    the3roots,
    Thank you so much.  Looks like Q decided to listen up. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20294390#Comment_20294390

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    You are never going to get a linked download that doesn't have duplicates, you will just have to delete the duplicates.

Not true. I did wth 2 accounts and no duplicates at all.
    This seems very strange based on my testing:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7919194/goals-and-realty-dont-meet-here-no-automatic-way-to-do-chase-conversion
    Signature:
  • jtawil777
    jtawil777 Member ✭✭
    Options
    What worked for me was to de-activate the Chase account and then re-activate it (then it found and linked to the existing account). I first tried following the onscreen instructions that popped up to upgrade Chase for better security. This, of course, added a new Chase account that wasn't linked to my existing Chase account and imported 90 days of duplicate transaction. This is the same problem that was encountered with the Schwab upgrade. I would have thought the lessons learned from that less-than-smooth process would have been learned. Extremely frustrating.

PS - WHATEVER YOU DO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AUTOMATRIC TRANSACTION IMPORT TURNED OFF.
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I asked Chase Bank when is the deadline for this connection change:
    customers must upgrade and reconnect to Chase by September 27, 2022, or they will no
    longer be able to access their Chase accounts through the
    software.
  • the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @DRMick said:
    > I asked Chase Bank when is the deadline for this connection change:
    > customers must upgrade and reconnect to Chase by September 27, 2022, or they will no
    > longer be able to access their Chase accounts through the
    > software.

Thanks!
  • Leon Pink
    Leon Pink Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi All,

This has been a nightmare! Not only did I originally have difficulties in linking up my existing accounts, once connected it through my balance out of whack!

Here's what I learned, and will solve the process for all:

Step 1.
    Back up your Quicken File!!!!

Step 2.
    Go to Account Details > Online Services and then Deactivate each of your Chase Accounts!

Step 3.
    Go to Account Details > Online Services and then Reactivate each of your Chase Accounts!

Step 4.
    Go through the Setup process with Chase. You will then be taken back to the Quicken window to attach to your existing accounts. Click on Finish.

Step 5.
    If any accounts show an old item needing to be inputted, double check to see if it is not already listed in your accounts. Also check to see if the same amount is listed as the very first item in your register. If it is most likely shouldn't be there. I deleted the one I found at the top and then deleted the entry it marked as new.

After that all is well, at least until the next time they want me to reverify my accounts with Chase.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm glad to see you seem to be separating the transition from EWC to EWC+ (a Quicken Term) and Direct Connect to EWC +, Chris. Few have made that distinction.

However, I have converted TWO Chase CC Direct Connect accounts with 0 duplicates. Perhaps timing. But it CAN be done.

Of course, none of that replaces the incredibly poor way all of this has been and continues to be handled.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Leon Pink  "Here's what I learned, and will solve the process for all:"

Strong statement and likely not accurate. If nothing else, these HUNDREDS of posts should show that there is no "one size fits all".  Glad it worked for you. Please do not present as gospel for others.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Bob. I would be interested in what the "before" and "after" Downloaded Ids look like in the accounts that worked for you without any duplication.  Can you post of screenshot of them?
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where are they to be found, Chris?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:
    @Leon Pink  "Here's what I learned, and will solve the process for all:"

Strong statement and likely not accurate. If nothing else, these HUNDREDS of posts should show that there is no "one size fits all".  Glad it worked for you. Please do not present as gospel for others.
    Now that is really good advice!   :)
    Signature:
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Leon Pink You might want to add a 1st step before deactivating... Run an update to make sure all current tranasctions are downloaded, then deactivate.
  • Hawkins1
    Hawkins1 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > You are never going to get a linked download that doesn't have duplicates, you will just have to delete the duplicates.
    >
    > The reason is because the Downloaded Id has been changed from what it is in Direct Connect.
    > Here is a transaction in Direct Connect, the Downloaded Id is the second column.
    > Here is the same transaction downloaded with Express Web Connect +:
    > Quicken uses the Downloaded Id to determine if it has seen the transaction before.  If it changes like in this case Quicken thinks it is a new transaction.  There isn't anyway for Quicken to know that this is in fact the same transaction.

I understand that -- the problem does it that it doesn't keep ANY of the historic data. I would gladly just "delete' the re-imported transactions; however, it deletes all previous entries and inserts the "re-downloaded" entries automatically. I currently have "categories" provided for every single transaction for 2+ years that go away completely when doing this "fix".

The other odd thing -- I have two Chase credit cards (different named people so different logins). I had to do the first Chase CC a week or two ago and there were zero issues related to the above. With the 2nd account which is being prompted to update Chase login capabilities, I have nothing but issues.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hawkins1 said:
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > You are never going to get a linked download that doesn't have duplicates, you will just have to delete the duplicates.
    >
    > The reason is because the Downloaded Id has been changed from what it is in Direct Connect.
    > Here is a transaction in Direct Connect, the Downloaded Id is the second column.
    > Here is the same transaction downloaded with Express Web Connect +:
    > Quicken uses the Downloaded Id to determine if it has seen the transaction before.  If it changes like in this case Quicken thinks it is a new transaction.  There isn't anyway for Quicken to know that this is in fact the same transaction.

I understand that -- the problem does it that it doesn't keep ANY of the historic data. I would gladly just "delete' the re-imported transactions; however, it deletes all previous entries. I have "categories" provided for every single transaction for 2 years that go away completely when doing this "fix".
    Wow, yes in your case it goes much deeper.  I don't really have a good suggestion on how to fix problems like this that some people, but not all, are having.  If it was happening to me I probably would try to see if restoring from a backup might help somehow.  But I don't really know what combination of that would work because you would in fact be reversing the change over and might not be any better off, especially when they finally force everyone to convert after the 26th.
    Signature:
  • Hawkins1
    Hawkins1 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Wow, yes in your case it goes much deeper.  I don't really have a good suggestion on how to fix problems like this that some people, but not all, are having.  If it was happening to me I probably would try to see if restoring from a backup might help somehow.  But I don't really know what combination of that would work because you would in fact be reversing the change over and might not be any better off, especially when they finally force everyone to convert after the 26th.

Yea - I've restored from backup many times already (every time i've tried to fix). I even went as far as Downloading all transaction history for this account, doing the update steps (deactivating, the reactivating under new Chase protocol) and then re-importing the transactions (pre Chase update). The issue with this was 1) It duplicated everything (didn't match) and 2) Still didn't retain my categories on the re-import side. I'd gladly set up the new protocol if the above worked; however, I cannot understand why my categories weren't reimported.

Note that I was also a lucky one that had TONS of Schwab accounts and had to deal with that fiasco earlier this year. When it rains it pours....
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Would it not make sense to do a one step update to get all current transactions, deactivate the current account, rename it, remove the account information, create a new account with the old name, same account number and do the activation?
    If succesful, delete any transactions, as that seems to be a problem, add the old starting balance and copy the transactions from the old account to the new account.
    Theoretically, it should keep the categories intact.
    Just a thought. I have tried the new process too many times with failures (not using this approach yet) and am waiting to see what Quicken does before I give it another whirl. 
    Protecting the old transactions is my priority. If this thing is not fixed by the 26th, I will probably try this.
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I started this, ran into the not-linking issue, and aborted. I found this thread (thanks) and disconnected/closed/add account like it was new, and linked. On both it changed the opening balance from $0 to another number as described.

However on my checking account it also apparently overwrote the last entered paycheck, and since I couldn't get Quicken to change the next paycheck date backwards to 9/2, I had to delete and re-enter my scheduled paycheck.

Edit: while it downloaded transactions to checking, for the credit card it *says* it downloaded 2000ish transactions (just like it did for checking), it changes the opening balance (just like it did for checking), but no new transactions appear in the credit card account.

It does offer to let me manually download transactions? screen cap attached. I did try Reset Account which just reset the opening balance again. If I download the .qxf file, it says it imported 0 transactions. :(
  • Hawkins1
    Hawkins1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Haapy I thought about what you suggested. I am holding out hope that Quicken fixes this with whatever patch they are attempting. I dont know if what you mentioned would work but may be my only option as everything else i've tried has been a big fail. IMHO, I shouldn't even have to deal with this!
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Agree with your sentiments. At least with this proposal, all history is protected.
  • Jason Gittman
    Jason Gittman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Why can't Quicken figure out how to just link to the appropriate account while not doing anything to previously reconciled transactions and not download new transactions? I'm not a software engineer but it doesn't not seem it would take a rocket scientist to figure out how to this. In the past, if you deactivated an account and then reactivated it Quicken was able to do that. Now, with the new connection method, Quicken can't.

I am not going to deal with this insanity until the end of September when direct connection will go away and I am forced to do something. Who knows, maybe by then Chase and Quicken will change their mind and keep direct connection. Yeah, I know, not a chance.
  • BuddyFriendBuddy
    Options
    > @Jason Gittman said:
    > Why can't Quicken figure out how to just link to the appropriate account while not doing anything to previously reconciled transactions and not download new transactions? I'm not a software engineer but it doesn't not seem it would take a rocket scientist to figure out how to this. In the past, if you deactivated an account and then reactivated it Quicken was able to do that. Now, with the new connection method, Quicken can't.
    >
    > I am not going to deal with this insanity until the end of September when direct connection will go away and I am forced to do something. Who knows, maybe by then Chase and Quicken will change their mind and keep direct connection. Yeah, I know, not a chance.

^^This. I tried the so-called workaround but ended up losing transactions from before 2007 and having goofy non-zero balances that I had to zero out to get my balances correct. I'm going to restore to a 9/5 backup and hope that Quicken can figure out how to link things properly before the end of the month.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Deactivating the account and then reactivating worked for me but I had another complication because Quicken had first connected to the wrong bank and wrong account and it kept offering to link that same wrong bank and account.  Upon inspecting the wrong account I discovered Quicken had filled in the wrong Financial Institution and Account number in the wrong account.  In other words, when I went to edit my Fifth Third account it said Chase.  I fixed that and the account number and when I reactivated the Chase account it offered to link the right Chase account and it did so perfectly.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just noticed another Chase/Quicken bug.  Quicken has the wrong online balance for Chase credit card accounts.  Instead of displaying the Current Balance or the Current Balance plus pending charges, it is display Current Balance minus Pending Charges.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just noticed another Chase/Quicken bug.  Quicken has the wrong online balance for Chase credit card accounts.  Instead of displaying the Current Balance or the Current Balance plus pending charges, it is display Current Balance minus Pending Charges.
    See this announcement:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918391/ongoing-9-1-22-chase-online-balance-including-pending-transactions
    Signature:
  • allenr5
    allenr5 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken has the wrong online balance for Chase credit card accounts. Instead of displaying the Current Balance or the Current Balance plus pending charges, it is display Current Balance minus Pending Charges.
  • Jeffrey Litvak
    Jeffrey Litvak Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    FYI updates for those of us dealing with this Chase nonsense:
    --I reported yesterday that after doing the deactivate/activate dance with every Chase account, transactions via Citi (yes, Citi, not Chase) stopped working (Home Depot, BestBuy, etc.) I thought I was able to correct the problem by going through the Fix It routine in Quicken but, after restarting Quicken, I see the same flurry of error messages telling me Quicken thinks I have deleted my Citi accounts.
    --Also, after doing the deactivate/activate Chase account dance, Quicken decided to add an undefined transaction reminder. This results in changes to every transaction to throw a spurious error asking if the transaction you're working with is the undefined transaction reminder. The solution is simple (thank goodness): Just go to Bill & Income Reminders (Ctrl-J). You should see a bill reminder that has no payee. When you delete it, Quicken will stop displaying the bogus warning messages.

Quicken continues to try to connect my Chase savings account with a Fidelity investment account. I think I need a break for dealing with Quicken's bugs for a while so I've decided to wait for the next round of Quicken "fixes" before tackling this one.

I suspect there are myriad problems with my Quicken data file. I have a very bad feeling many of us are going to wind up having to create new data files -- completely starting over -- to deal with all this.
This discussion has been closed.