New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• cmclien
    cmclien Member ✭✭
    > @"Tom Young" said:
    > ".  Watch out for changes in Accounts' Opening Balances when you do the changeover; both my credit cards had their Opening Balances changed.

Yes, I figured this out and needed to change my opening balance on my CC to 0 to fix this. I didn’t see a way in the downloaded transaction window to delete multiples before entering them into the register. Is there a way to do it that isn’t one by one?
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    And now this morning I'm unable even to create a new Chase account or deactivate a current one or reset one. Just the spinning wheel of death until I force-close the program. OSU still connects okay for non-Chase accounts.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few updates back Quicken finally did allow for mass deletes in the Downloaded Transactions area using the classic "Windows" multiple item selection process.  You to select a transaction, scroll down from there and do Shift-(Mouse click) to select another transaction, and all transactions between the first and last transactions are highlighted as selected.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    Tom Young said:
    But don't have transactions entering into your register automatically, make sure they go into the Downloaded Transactions area where you can delete them en masse with just a few clicks. 
    There is an exception to this rule.  On the first connection after the conversion Quicken is going to put all the transactions in the register, you can't stop this.  This is the same as if you were creating a new account in Quicken.

When I finally got things to work I didn't experience this.  Everything that downloaded in my two Accounts did show up in the Downloaded transactions window.
    I did a good bit of thrashing around trying to do the conversion and ultimately went to a backup for what I thought was my "first" download and, maybe, it was really my "second" download?  Perhaps a bit like the pain of childbirth it's all fairly hazy now.
  • J in FL
    J in FL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I experienced this and it was a fiasco. Nothing like spending the first 3 hours of a Saturday deleting "New" transactions that should have been matched going back 3 months. Additionally, the download changed or deleted the categories that were already tagged for about 250 transactions (I don't buy that many greeting cards at Target and the Dollar Tree is not a charity).

Last thing it did was change transactions that were previously Reconciled to just Cleared. Now I have to go back and change each transaction to Reconciled and hope I don't [mess] it up. I suspect a lot of work will need to be done when I get my next closing statement.

[Removed - Rant/Disruptive]
  • J in FL
    J in FL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Holy cow, I just noticed too that it reclassified my payments as no longer being payments from my checking account. Now my checking account balance is egregiously overstated.

[Removed - Rant]
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
    Here it is September 10th.  Chase accounts - first I never received a notification request for the 'new' online mechanism.  Haven't had any problems downloading transactions (or so I thought) and received the notice from Quicken so long ago I finally pitched it on the basis it didn't apply for my accounts since everything continued to work.  Today I noticed that one of my Chase accounts wasn't updating any of the transactions whereas the other two Chase accounts were working fine all during the same Update Now process.  Attempted to reset the not updating Chase account and after 5 minutes of a grey screen, I killed the program (end task).  Next step was to deactivate the Chase Online and then reinitiate the process - again 5 minutes of a grey screen.  End Task.  Went to my last backup taken just before I started messing around and I am back to being able to connect but still looks like one of the three Chase accounts isn't updating.  Based on this thread, I will have to assume the fix is in work.  I'm waiting.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tom Young said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    Tom Young said:
    But don't have transactions entering into your register automatically, make sure they go into the Downloaded Transactions area where you can delete them en masse with just a few clicks. 
    There is an exception to this rule.  On the first connection after the conversion Quicken is going to put all the transactions in the register, you can't stop this.  This is the same as if you were creating a new account in Quicken.

When I finally got things to work I didn't experience this.  Everything that downloaded in my two Accounts did show up in the Downloaded transactions window.
    I did a good bit of thrashing around trying to do the conversion and ultimately went to a backup for what I thought was my "first" download and, maybe, it was really my "second" download?  Perhaps a bit like the pain of childbirth it's all fairly hazy now.
    Well, I can say one thing about this conversion.  There is almost no way to determine what is going to happen to any given user.  Depending on how the go through the process, and what kind of errors popup in the process, people are getting completely different results.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW for what it is worth, in some ways as an experienced Quicken user I would prefer it creating new accounts to what is happening to some people.  When it has linked to existing accounts the results have been anything from it just working with no duplicates, to working but changing the Opening Balance, to having some duplicates, to trashing transactions and categories.  If you have it go into a new account most likely it would leave the old account alone, and then the problem comes down to merging any missing/old data from the old account to the new one.  Something that I don't find that hard to do at all (even though Quicken Inc has made it harder than it should be since they haven't every fixed the Move Transactions feature and you have to use Copy Transactions or set all the reconciled transactions to c instead of R):
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
  • the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Given this problem with Chase and that this thread mentioned similar problems with a Schwab migration, I'd like to see Quicken send out a formal email of what other financial institutions will be migrating and when (approximately).

I have Ally Bank (EWC - not plus) and Etrade (Direct Connect). I'd like to know if they (Quicken and/or the other financial institutions) plan on migrating to either EWC or EWC+. Also, what about all of the 100's of other Financial Institutions that Quicken works with?

Giving your customers some indication that there's a plan out there, even if it is several months or more out, still promotes trust. @Quicken Anja , what do you think?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    the3roots said:
    Given this problem with Chase and that this thread mentioned similar problems with a Schwab migration, I'd like to see Quicken send out a formal email of what other financial institutions will be migrating and when (approximately).

I have Ally Bank (EWC - not plus) and Etrade (Direct Connect). I'd like to know if they (Quicken and/or the other financial institutions) plan on migrating to either EWC or EWC+. Also, what about all of the 100's of other Financial Institutions that Quicken works with?

Giving your customers some indication that there's a plan out there, even if it is several months or more out, still promotes trust. @Quicken Anja , what do you think?
    For what it is worth.  ETrade Bank uses Express Web Connect not Direct Connect.  They do use Direct Connect for their investment accounts.  Also even though the moderators stated that Chase's investment accounts would be migrated to Express Web Connect +, it hasn't happened yet.  That is a much more complicated conversion, and the investment side of this is really a different part of the company and that might also be why they haven't converted (yet).

I doubt that any Quicken moderator will be at liberty to state what financial institutions are planning this change.  One might get a bit of insight by looking at the financial institutions that are supporting this.  Note that FDX is the protocol that Quicken Inc is calling the + part of Express Web Connect +, as in Intuit using FDX to connect to the financial institution to get the transactions.
    https://financialdataexchange.org/FDX/FDX/The-Consortium/Members.aspx
    Signature:
  • the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > For what it is worth.  ETrade Bank uses Express Web Connect not Direct Connect.  They do use Direct Connect for their investment accounts.  Also even though the moderators stated that Chase's investment accounts would be migrated to Express Web Connect +, it hasn't happened yet.  That is a much more complicated conversion, and the investment side of this is really a different part of the company and that might also be why they haven't converted (yet).
    >
    > I doubt that any Quicken moderator will be at liberty to state what financial institutions are planning this change.  One might get a bit of insight by looking at the financial institutions that are supporting this.  Note that FDX is the protocol that Quicken Inc is calling the + part of Express Web Connect +, as in Intuit using FDX to connect to the financial institution to get the transactions.
    > https://financialdataexchange.org/FDX/FDX/The-Consortium/Members.aspx

I'm only using Etrade Investments and downloading transactions has had it's problems in Quicken for a long time. Any Etrade migration is my greatest concern, in that I may lose all of my historical data and accuracy of the cost basis.

Most of the software vendors that I worked at or worked with in my professional life (IT Project Management & Systems Designer for 40 years), had a roadmap they provided their customers. I doubt that information would be proprietary or top secret.

Let's let Quicken decide what's best for their customers. But, I think we as customers need to be able to express our needs and concern as annual subscription customers without trying to squash ideas that we disagree with. Over the years Quicken has had many of these types of software implementation & defect issues. Maybe it's time they tried to address them.
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Regarding Chase Bank and comparing Balances, Be aware that Chase credit card web site "Current Balance" does not include pending charges as I read in a previous comment several days ago.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Boy, do I feel much better with Chase disconnected! My Quicken register and balance matches Chase. No screwed-up transactions. Adding a couple of new transactions once a day is not a big deal.

It reconciles with Chase's website balance! Just add any website pending totals (Chase totals those for you) to Chase's listed balance.

Waiting for the smoke to clear.
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    jimshu1 said:
    Boy, do I feel much better with Chase disconnected! My Quicken register and balance matches Chase. No screwed-up transactions. Adding a couple of new transactions once a day is not a big deal.

It reconciles with Chase's website balance! Just add any website pending totals (Chase totals those for you) to Chase's listed balance.

Waiting for the smoke to clear.
    That's interesting.  If you don't need the banking or investment down loads, just manage your own accounts,  you don't need new updated quicken.  I know someone still using 2010 Quicken running offline and she is happy with that.
  • Having received notice that changes were coming regarding the connection to my bank (Chase) I was ready to follow instructions and click the right buttons to execute the change.

The outcome has been that I now have 2 credit card accounts and 2 checking accounts. Both of the import transactions when I do an update. The balances don't agree with the bank on any of the accounts. On each duplicated account, one of the accounts has transactions that only go back 3 months and the other has the whole history of transactions.

Should I just delete the accounts with only the last 3 months of transactions and then fix any transactions that don't match the bank?
  • Did first Chase download under their new platform to quicken for 2 accounts: checking and credit card. It created a NEW Quicken account for both of these accounts, and the new ones didn't carry over most of the old data. How do I fix this?
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    It sounds like when you got to the screen, after Chase authorization, for adding the account to Quicken... that you did not verify that "Link" account was selected and in the flyout menu the existing account was selected.

I had the issue with balances not matching / reconciling ... and it turned out that Quicken and/or Chase modified my (very old) opening balance transaction to something non-zero.   Scroll all the way back to your first transaction and see if that is the case for you.  For me, resetting that to zero resolved my balance and reconciliation issues.

You should be able to delete the duplicate accounts without issue (in my experience anyway).

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MargueriteXX

The suggested "fix" for this problem is to move all the transactions from each of the old account registers to the corresponding new account register.  Here are the instructions on how to move transactions - LINK.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankz 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• robinsd
    robinsd Unconfirmed ✭✭
    When I got the message to reauthorize my Chase accounts, I did so but my choices for where to put the data didn't include the original accounts - the only possible choices if I wanted to link to Quicken were either to link it with my Nordstrom (!?) account or set up new, so I chose set up new for each of them. Naturally, the new accounts only contained the last few days of history and all my history was left in the original old accounts. 

Read this thread and thought moving the old transactions to the new one would be the next thing to try but found that I needed to respond to a dialog about moving a reconciled transaction for each and every transaction, hundreds and hundreds.  No option to approve all of them. And by this time I'd approved several before I realized what was going on. Oh, and I couldn't just move them back because they all appeared as new transactions as if just downloaded and would have each needed to be categorized. Imagine if I had actually said "OK" to all 2400 previous transactions. Great big mess.

I canceled out of that and restored the backup taken when just before this disaster began: 
    Robert-R-43.14-2022-09-11.PM02.42.QDF-backup. It didn't ask me to reauthorize the accounts and OSU seemed to pick up my recent transactions. Seems like the problem is solved but I'll be watching it closely for a few days.

Frankx who suggested move transactions as a solution?

Thanks all!

r
  • I am using Quicken Deluxe on Windows 10. After setting down Quicken for about a month, I noticed one of my Chase accounts wasn't syncing. Following the advice I saw on a Quicken forum post, I deactivated the Online Services. Now, when I go back to Activate Downloads, the Quicken window greys and nothing happens. It looks like another dialog box must have opened but is hidden by the way the program is acting, but I cannot find it nor can I access any part of the Quicken program during this time. I have waited to see if the program just needed some time to process something, but my window stays greyed out and I have even tried plugging in a second monitor to see if this helps, but alas, I still cannot find a hidden window. At this point, all I can do is open Task Manager and force close Quicken.

I have tried Validating and Super Validating in the Quicken program, per a previous post's instructions, but this did not solve the problem. Please help! I was really hoping to get some work done on my Quicken file this weekend, but this is causing a delay for me. :(

Thanks!
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    I had the same experience. That confirmation dialog box for x,000 transactions was a non-starter after I realized (too late) that there was no "approve all" option. No choice but to restore a backup from before this nonsense began and hope they get it all sorted out soon.
  • Quicken, I'm so disappointed. Rolled out a process the doesn't work. First time I've been disappointed since I've dedicated my accounts in more than 20 years. Account updates on each of the accounts requires me to transfer thousands of transactions in quicken with lots of issues. This has been unworkable for me, and I'm not alone.
  • Badger51
    Badger51 Member ✭✭
    Dealing with duplicate account issues with new Chase sync services.
    I updated to most recent version.
    As advised, I deactivated online services with Chase and restarted program.

Now when I attempt to edit my Chase account to reactivate online services, Quicken freezes.

Please advise
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the ADD ACCOUNT vs the activate Online Services -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    try doing an ADD ACCOUNT vs the Online Services

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Hawkins1
    Hawkins1 Member ✭✭
    > @DRMick said:
    > That's interesting.  If you don't need the banking or investment down loads, just manage your own accounts,  you don't need new updated quicken.  I know someone still using 2010 Quicken running offline and she is happy with that.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment, whether you meant to or not. The fact that the new quicken is "Subscription" based where in order to get downloads automatically performed, you have to pay the annual fee, experiences such as these make it hard to continue. Quicken won't even provide a a couple months free for the hassle. I lived through the Schwab issues (6 schwab accounts) and now living through Chase issues (2 accounts) and I am wondering what the benefit of my annual fee is really worth. Would be nice if Quicken threw a little something at us for our loyalty.
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Hawkins1 said:
    > @DRMick said:
    > That's interesting.  If you don't need the banking or investment down loads, just manage your own accounts,  you don't need new updated quicken.  I know someone still using 2010 Quicken running offline and she is happy with that.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment, whether you meant to or not. The fact that the new quicken is "Subscription" based where in order to get downloads automatically performed, you have to pay the annual fee, experiences such as these make it hard to continue. Quicken won't even provide a a couple months free for the hassle. I lived through the Schwab issues (6 schwab accounts) and now living through Chase issues (2 accounts) and I am wondering what the benefit of my annual fee is really worth. Would be nice if Quicken threw a little something at us for our loyalty.
    I dealt with Schwab debacle also. Seems like that was almost a  year ago as we're approaching Year End. I was glad I am retired so I had the time to work on it.  We have about two weeks before Chase cuts off Direct Connect. Hope Quicken wakes up.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another comment - as I have not yet done the migration....
    Wanted to make sure that Quicken would not go after any of my Chase previously closed accounts from years ago.
    I had removed the online downloading in Quicken, along with making them visually "hidden".
    So today - went back with a bigger Quicken hammer - just to make sure - and I walked thru the Quicken Account List,
    and even though they were [x] Hidden - I clicked on each one and then clicked on the CLOSE ACCOUNT permanently...
    Doesn't appear to really do anything different - just wanted to make sure :):smile: 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's another topic that I didn't request be merged into this one.... it discusses a couple of steps to follow -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.