Quicken Crashing

Krakat
Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
Quicken keeps crashing happens mainly during scheduled one step update. Running R43.20 on Windows 10. I have run validate on my data file and no errors on this mornings validate data file. I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled quicken on Friday. Crashed again this morning during scheduled update. I have had issues with Quicken crashing for some time, now it is getting worse. I usually have to hold CNTL and launch Quicken open my data file and enter my password and it doesn’t crash.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Hung during OSU, Crash at Startup or other unexplainable malfunctions in Quicken for Windows

Please verify this:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one) e.g., C:\Temp, and reboot Windows.

If the Temp folder is located on a too-small SSD C: - drive and you have an internal standard hard disk, too, move the Temp folder to the internal hard disk and change the TEMP and TMP variables
    If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK C: /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

• Hello @Krakat

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this error with your Quicken program crashing. 

I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR I have 262GB Free on my SSD which is my C Drive.  My D drive is where Quicken Program is installed and has 722GB Free.  Temp is cleared out. I don't see that Backblaze is backing up the TEMP folder. But I excluded the TEMP folder within Backblaze. I did error checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tool tab Both C my SSD and my D had no errors.

Thank you for your response. Other thoughts, if my Backblaze exclusion doesn't fix problem. 
  • Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine That's a lot of reconnecting files with my financial institutions....
  • Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine Crashed after I started with my 4th financial institution. Was able to open file holding CNTL and Quicken. Freezes when try to update 4th financial institution...  Had to force Quicken to close and Crashed when Trying to open Quicken. Finally was able to get all accounts linked. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @Krakat ,
    thanks for getting back to me about the Temp folder. This was more like a shot in the dark. It has helped in some cases.
    When Quicken crashes, do you get the opportunity to submit a Crash/Problem report? If so, have you sent one in?
    BTW, where is your Quicken data file located? Hopefully in either C or D drive, in \Documents\Quicken and not a OneDrive subfolder.
  • Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR Quicken Data File is on my D Drive \Documents\Quicken.  Yes I send in reports not each and every time.  Crashed when I went to open Quicken New File just moments ago.
  • Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine Quicken crashed just moments ago when I went to open new file.  Will continue to use OLD file since the file is not the issue.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krakat said:
    @UKR Quicken Data File is on my D Drive \Documents\Quicken.  Yes I send in reports not each and every time.  Crashed when I went to open Quicken New File just moments ago.
    Thanks for the information.
    Let's see if @Quicken Jasmine or one of the other Community moderators can have an expert locate your most recent crash report and figure out what's going wrong where ...

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Krakat said:
    Thanks for the information.
    Let's see if @Quicken Jasmine or one of the other Community moderators can have an expert locate your most recent crash report and figure out what's going wrong where ...

I have been using Quicken for years, probably over 25 years! Never really had issues until back in December I changed my password on Quicken. Crashed after updating password. Have had on again off again. I can open file using CNTL Quicken. Then putting password in for Quicken account. Frustrating! Just don’t have time to deal with BUGS …
  • Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine Quicken crashed just moments ago when I went to open new file.  Will continue to use OLD file since the file is not the issue.
  • Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Jasmine said:
    Hello @Krakat

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this error with your Quicken program crashing. 

I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Please let me know how this goes!
    Well my Quicken is crashing again. It seemed like my crashing was fewer until the latest update last week. It crashed probably 4 times in the last 90 minutes opening Quicken data file and one time after I ran validation repair of my data file. No one from Quicken has responded on here since I identified my steps I accomplished. I have been sending reports in on each crash in the last few days. Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.