Why does one of my investment accounts have both a share balance and a cash balance?

Wm Johnson
Wm Johnson Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I recently sold some shares from a few investment accounts and used proceeds to open other investment accounts. Most worked fine but one account shows a negative Inv. Amt. and a positive Cash Amt. The transfer didn't go to the account it was intended to. How do I fix this issue. When I try to edit the original account it won't allow me to indicate where the proceeds show go. Record proceeds? menu is grayed out.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What transactions are in the problem account for this sale and transfer?

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is selected.

Are there recent Placeholders in the problem account?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Wm Johnson
    Wm Johnson Member ✭✭
    Show Hidden transactions is selected. There are no placeholder in this account. Oddly this is one investment account that has both a share balance column and a cash column. Not sure why this is for my other six or so accounts only have a share balance column
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've created all of your Accounts, except one, as "single security" Accounts.  The single security Accounts only have a share balance column and will not have any cash in them.  Did you intend to create the one oddball Account as a single security Account?
  • Wm Johnson
    Wm Johnson Member ✭✭
    I guess, I thought I set them all up the same way. How does one edit the account so that is a single security Acct?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under Account Details > General there's an option to change that.
  • Wm Johnson
    Wm Johnson Member ✭✭
    Thank you, that resolved the issue. Have a great day
This discussion has been closed.