New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• carbuff
    carbuff Member ✭✭
    I've searched and seen several posts about the Chase authentication process, but I haven't seen this specific issue addressed.

I have been trying to perform the new authentication process without success. I approve on the Chase website (and it confirms the account is approved), but Quicken continually asks me to re-authenticate. So it's not remembering I've already done this.

So yesterday I updated to version R43.26. I received another email reminder about this requirement, so I tried again. Save result. So I tried to De-authorize my Online Services thinking that if I start from scratch, maybe that will work.

I did that, tried the process again, all looks good on Chase's side, but when I come back to Quicken, it won't give me the option to link the online account to my existing account. The box where you normally select New, Link, or Don't Add doesn't exist, and instead under action is simply says "Don't add to Quicken".

So now I'm stuck. I've tried multiple times with the same result. I found a support article which suggested deleted the Financial Institution and Account number from the account details before trying the process, so I did. No difference. I did the same, then quit Quicken and restarted based on another suggestion, same thing.

I have no idea what to try next............

Suggestions appreciated! This is just a Credit Card account, and again all appears to report correctly on the Chase side. Help?
  • the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    For the people that have successfully (at least in part) migrated to EWC+, are you able to complete it on your own or are you having to contact Quicken Support in order to finish?

If you do contact support, what are the wait times for customer support? Are they swamped with calls? Also, are you able to resolve the problems okay in a single call and within a reasonable amount of time?

Just wondering if they're swamped with calls, if I should wait to try to migrate to avoid more traffic to customer support. Thanks.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Joe4369 said:
    > This is what worked for me (so far). I called support and they walked me through this process: Make a copy of your current file and open it (File, Copy or Backup File, Create a copy or template). This will be your new file going forward. None of your accounts will be connected so you have to "Add Account" for each one and then link them to the existing accounts. This fixed transactions that were not downloading and the problem with wrong balances seems to have resolved since the update yesterday.

Thanks for this. A couple of questions:

1. "None of your accounts will be connected so you have to "Add Account" for each one...." Are you referring to the Chase accounts only or ALL your accounts?

2. Did you copy legacy transactions to the new accounts so the download would not create duplicates?

3. Did you then delete or just hide the old accounts?
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    the3roots said:
    For the people that have successfully (at least in part) migrated to EWC+, are you able to complete it on your own or are you having to contact Quicken Support in order to finish?
    Completed on my own. 3rd day of it working correctly in all ways. I had disconnected for over a week and manually added transactions and reconciled. 
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • ScotProf
    ScotProf Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience these issues cause.
    >
    > I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the issue with repeating requests for reauthorization mentioned in my previous comment. First: what connection method is in use for those users still experiencing this problem? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box.
    >
    > If the connection method appears as 'Direct Connect,' the accounts have not yet been moved to the new method, and thus the prompts are continuing. If you are seeing that the connection method is 'Express Web Connect+,' however, please let us know a) exactly when this prompt appears and b) what this prompt says, specifically.
    >
    > We are eager to hear information regarding this matter.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Jared: using Q43.26, my reauthorization went fine. Moreover, the instructions you give in the above post work for me, showing that my Chase connection is EWC+. However, there is a small remaining issue.

When I open my account list, and look at the Chase account (BEFORE pressing the Edit button) it shows as "Yes (Improve connection"). See my post from yesterday, https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20296788/#Comment_20296788 . A different account in my list (not Chase) does show EWC+, so there's no fundamental inability in the account list's ability to display such a connection. I suspect that the account list is simply failing to detect / update the true nature of the Chase connection. Maybe another wrinkle that needs to be ironed out?
  • DDDLIN
    DDDLIN Member
    I followed the instructions to reauthorize my Chase connections. Now my Quicken has two accounts for each credit card. The newly created accounts are correct. Do I merge the new and old account? Will it automatically eliminate duplicate entries? Or should I just close out the old accounts and deactivate the update function for the old accounts?
  • > @JRod said:
    > Did you already try it with R43.26?

Yes, No Joy.
    - I reset to 09/01backup file which was from R43.14.
    - OSU skipped the Chase update, Downloaded everything with Direct Connect.
    - Accepted everything through today including my 2 Paychecks with many splits.
    - Reconciled all accounts
    - It was already updated to R43.26.
    - I checked and all 3 Chase accounts say Direct Connect
    - I backed up the file.
    - OSU this time I re-authorized Chase.
    - Chase said it was re-directing back to Quicken.
    - Strange grayed screen over Quicken, but could still type and select in Quicken.
    eventually greyed screen cleared.
    - OSU blew out 2 9/15fully split and reconciled paychecks and 2 single category recently added
    reconciled transactions from today. All 4 new adds were added without me being allowed to accept.
    - On the paychecks it added a single split for the correct net amount of the deposit.
    - When I try to add splits to the paycheck deposits, it will not allow them. It opens a window for "Current - Paycheck as if the accepted paycheck was created by me as a created repeating paycheck.
    - It did not reconcile the accounts because it never gave me an opportunity to accept and finish.
    - Chase now says it is EWC+.
    - In the account list it now asks if I want to improve the Chase connection.

QUESTIONS:
    Do I delete those 2 offending paycheck entries and OSU again?
    Do I click on "Upgrade the connection?"
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @carbuff said:
    > I've searched and seen several posts about the Chase authentication process, but I haven't seen this specific issue addressed.
    >
    > I have been trying to perform the new authentication process without success. I approve on the Chase website (and it confirms the account is approved), but Quicken continually asks me to re-authenticate. So it's not remembering I've already done this.
    >
    > So yesterday I updated to version R43.26. I received another email reminder about this requirement, so I tried again. Save result. So I tried to De-authorize my Online Services thinking that if I start from scratch, maybe that will work.
    >
    > I did that, tried the process again, all looks good on Chase's side, but when I come back to Quicken, it won't give me the option to link the online account to my existing account. The box where you normally select New, Link, or Don't Add doesn't exist, and instead under action is simply says "Don't add to Quicken".
    >
    > So now I'm stuck. I've tried multiple times with the same result. I found a support article which suggested deleted the Financial Institution and Account number from the account details before trying the process, so I did. No difference. I did the same, then quit Quicken and restarted based on another suggestion, same thing.
    >
    > I have no idea what to try next............
    >
    > Suggestions appreciated! This is just a Credit Card account, and again all appears to report correctly on the Chase side. Help?

You described my own experience almost exactly. My only suggestion is to be sure to keep backups from before you started fooling around with this.
  • carbuff
    carbuff Member ✭✭
    > @dmhump1 said:
    > > @carbuff said:
    > > I've searched and seen several posts about the Chase authentication process, but I haven't seen this specific issue addressed.
    > >
    > > I have been trying to perform the new authentication process without success. I approve on the Chase website (and it confirms the account is approved), but Quicken continually asks me to re-authenticate. So it's not remembering I've already done this.
    {snip]

> You described my own experience almost exactly. My only suggestion is to be sure to keep backups from before you started fooling around with this.

Following up to my own issue, as I appear to have randomly stumbled onto the solution. If the issue returns, I will come back here to update.

By chance reading through this thread someone mentioned looking at the full account list and clicking the Edit button beside an account you are trying to authorize to get to the Account Settings information. That takes you to the same place I had been going (edit account details from the register view), but I did it anyway. Interestingly enough, when I opened the Account List, I had ANOTHER CHASE ACCOUNT from ages ago (closed in 2007) that was still in the list. This turned out to be my problem it seems...

When I looked at the details for that old account, even though I closed it with Chase, I had not "closed" it in Quicken. I had hidden it. The download information was still active because it wasn't closed.

I believe what happened is that Quicken linked my new account to this old account. In the details page, the account number for the old account showed the last 4 digits of my current account. I thus think that is why it would not give me a "link" option when I was trying to authorize the new account as somewhere during the process it had linked my old Quicken account to the new Chase account.

I think it was pure luck that I stumbled onto this and figured it out. After deactivating the old account (and now closing it in Quicken), I have seemingly correctly linked the new Chase Quicken account to the actual new Chase account for downloading purposes.

I would be surprised if my solution helps anyone else, but just in case........

Check your account list to ensure you don't have some old Chase account left open with online information setup in it like I had. I will go through my old account list now and close any remaining open Quicken accounts that I no longer use.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @JRod said:
    > Did you already try it with R43.26?

Yes, No Joy.
    - I reset to 09/01backup file which was from R43.14.
    - OSU skipped the Chase update, Downloaded everything with Direct Connect.
    - Accepted everything through today including my 2 Paychecks with many splits.
    - Reconciled all accounts
    - It was already updated to R43.26.
    - I checked and all 3 Chase accounts say Direct Connect
    - I backed up the file.
    - OSU this time I re-authorized Chase.
    - Chase said it was re-directing back to Quicken.
    - Strange grayed screen over Quicken, but could still type and select in Quicken.
    eventually greyed screen cleared.
    - OSU blew out 2 9/15fully split and reconciled paychecks and 2 single category recently added
    reconciled transactions from today. All 4 new adds were added without me being allowed to accept.
    - On the paychecks it added a single split for the correct net amount of the deposit.
    - When I try to add splits to the paycheck deposits, it will not allow them. It opens a window for "Current - Paycheck as if the accepted paycheck was created by me as a created repeating paycheck.
    - It did not reconcile the accounts because it never gave me an opportunity to accept and finish.
    - Chase now says it is EWC+.
    - In the account list it now asks if I want to improve the Chase connection.

QUESTIONS:
    Do I delete those 2 offending paycheck entries and OSU again?
    Do I click on "Upgrade the connection?"
    If your connection says EWC+, there is no need to upgrade connection as displayed in the account list. Everyone seems to have this display issue. Mine says the same thing and looks like many in this thread stated the same thing.  Seems like after the conversion to EWC+, Quicken does not update the display to upgrade your connection after you have already upgraded.

I tried OSU today, and it downloaded recent transactions. However, it downloaded and matched transactions it had done before and that I had already reconciled. Luckily it didn't change anything so just accepted the matching ones.  Thank goodness it didn't got back months and change all the others along with categories as before.  I did notice that one of the recent transaction did not seem to have correct date.  It looked like it may have confused a recent 9/15 transfer with one from 9/2.  Well since only one transaction, I accepted it and corrected the date and category since it was a transfer to another non-Chase account.  Will watch this in coming days and still don't have warm and fuzzies about this whole thing.      In your case, if deleting the paycheck entries corrects your balance and only 2, it may be your best option if all your balances and transactions are good.  The followup OSU's should not re-download everything again hopefully, but make sure you have backups of your file.

I got email from Quicken today that investment accounts are converting end of September.  When I setup the online download for my Chase investment accounts, it never set it to EWC+.  Is Quicken and Chase doing this in two waves, Banking accounts first and then Investment accounts? Confusing as to what the clear plan is.  I thought the e-mails before had it for all accounts and the authorization process showed all the accounts.
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    > @JRod said:
    > Quicken and Chase doing this in two waves, Banking accounts first and then Investment accounts?

The email I received yesterday said, "*If you also have a Chase investment or retirement account, don’t update yet. (They are not quite ready – we will let you know when they are, and you can update everything at once.)"

@Quicken, in Account Details, if I click the "download and import transactions" link, it opens a new dialog box that says, "Adding more transaction [sic] from Chase to Quicken requires you to download a file from their website and then import the file into Quicken." Is that supposed to show after the EWC+ conversion? It shows on both my accounts, the checking that downloads and the credit card that doesn't.
  • > @JRod said:
    > The followup OSU's should not re-download everything again hopefully, but make sure you have backups of your file.

I don’t know if it matters, but I put the memo note of the downloaded transaction into the memo of my corrected paycheck.

I have been backing everyday and or after every OSU and reconcile.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @carbuff said:
    > > @dmhump1 said:
    > > > @carbuff said:
    > > > I've searched and seen several posts about the Chase authentication process, but I haven't seen this specific issue addressed.
    > > >
    > > > I have been trying to perform the new authentication process without success. I approve on the Chase website (and it confirms the account is approved), but Quicken continually asks me to re-authenticate. So it's not remembering I've already done this.
    > {snip]
    >
    > > You described my own experience almost exactly. My only suggestion is to be sure to keep backups from before you started fooling around with this.
    >
    > Following up to my own issue, as I appear to have randomly stumbled onto the solution. If the issue returns, I will come back here to update.
    > ....
    > Check your account list to ensure you don't have some old Chase account left open with online information setup in it like I had. I will go through my old account list now and close any remaining open Quicken accounts that I no longer use.
    >
    >

I'm glad that fixed your problem. I did have some very old CC accounts with Chase that I had deactivated from online services in Quicken but not "closed" them. So I did that for housekeeping reasons but it didn't have any noticeable effect on my current problem. Also, my checking accounts are part of the issue and I don't have any obsolete Chase checking accounts.
  • shtevie
    shtevie Member ✭✭
    I am happy to report that I converted my 2 remaining Chase accounts today (1 checking and 1 credit card) to EWC+ with absolutely no apparent negative consequences. No duplicate transactions, files or accounts. Very glad I waited.
  • Eastwayroad
    Eastwayroad Member ✭✭✭
    Successful Chase account reauthorization a few days ago. Since then, the odd duplicate transaction is still downloading for no apparent reason. Simply deleted each and all else looks fine. To be continued...
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did OneStepUpdate today and worked fine, but didn't have any Chase transactions in the download.  Continuing to validate/backup file and watching out for issues.
  • Kurt
    Kurt Member ✭✭
    Today on Quicken R43.26 I successfully, without any problems, connected to Chase EWC+.

The process I followed was:

Backed-up my Quicken data to two locations (just to be safe). :)
    Noted my net worth value at bottom of the account list.
    Verified that “Automatically add to banking registers” was not checked in Preferences>Downloaded Transactions. I have no Chase investment accounts.
    Clicked on One-Step update.
    Clicked on Reauthorize.
    Signed in with my Chase Userid and Password.
    Back in Quicken, I verified that each of my four Chase accounts were linked to the correct Quicken account. They were defaulted correctly.
    Clicked on Finish on the conversion.
    Verified that my net worth value was still the same.
    I got one previously accepted transaction in each Chase account in the downloaded transactions window that I deleted.
    Verified that each account showed EWC+.
    Closed Quicken and opened Quicken and did a One-Step update again. No transactions were downloaded.
  • AAR
    AAR Member ✭✭
    Waited until yesterday to do the conversion. Updated to 43.26 first, followed the instructions as posted (did not deactivate checking or credit card account), the conversion went smoothly, the process did not create any new accounts. Online details now show EWC+. Initially received 3 duplicate transactions, today received an additional 20 duplicate transactions. The balances are correct and like others, the Account List shows “Improve Connection”.
  • > @AAR said:
    > Waited until yesterday to do the conversion. Updated to 43.26 first, followed the instructions as posted (did not deactivate checking or credit card account), the conversion went smoothly, the process did not create any new accounts. Online details now show EWC+. Initially received 3 duplicate transactions, today received an additional 20 duplicate transactions. The balances are correct and like others, the Account List shows “Improve Connection”.

Had the exact same experience yesterday and today, including the initial and subsequent duplicate transactions. I am hoping all is good going forward.
  • > @Bradley Roseberry said:
    > > @JRod said:
    > > The followup OSU's should not re-download everything again hopefully, but make sure you have backups of your file.

Total Implosion today. Thought we had it. Alas we do not. R43.26 OSU wiped some but not all transactions back to 8/24 in Chase Checking Account. It deleted a loan transfer from the loan into Checking, thereby setting the non chase loan balance to 0. All transactions were previously reconciled and did not ask me to accept.

There are transactions it wants me to accept. Some of those transactions it did NOT wipe out.

Question: Am I noticing that transactions with PPID: XXXXXX numbers in the memo change how quicken handles (correctly or incorrectly) existing transactions?

I am going to attempt to correct everything and see if we have it again. I am going to the PPID Memo into all of my scheduled transactions memo. JIC it makes a difference.
  • > @Bradley Roseberry said:
    > > @Bradley Roseberry said:
    > > > @JRod said:
    > > > The followup OSU's should not re-download everything again hopefully, but make sure you have backups of your file.
    >
    >
    > Total Implosion today. Thought we had it. Alas we do not. R43.26 OSU wiped some but not all transactions back to 8/24 in Chase Checking Account. It deleted a loan transfer from the loan into Checking, thereby setting the non chase loan balance to 0. All transactions were previously reconciled and did not ask me to accept.
    >
    > There are transactions it wants me to accept. Some of those transactions it did NOT wipe out.
    >
    > Question: Am I noticing that transactions with PPID: XXXXXX numbers in the memo change how quicken handles (correctly or incorrectly) existing transactions?
    >
    > I am going to attempt to correct everything and see if we have it again. I am going to the PPID Memo into all of my scheduled transactions memo. JIC it makes a difference.
    >
    >

Follow up: I accepted a single transaction by changing the category, and it accepted ALL of the 20 downloaded transactions. No way for me to try to clean it up at this point. Restoring to yesterdays file. Will not allow Chase to update and continue to manually enter and reconcile.

@Quicken Anja Chase is no where near fixed. I am willing to try an work through some things. COmmunicate to you what is going on, but please tell us you are still working on this.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    I have 3 Chase checking accounts and 2 credit cards. I reauthorized via the Quicken prompt and received confirmation from Chase.

But Quicken didn't merge my Chase accounts, it created new ones with slightly modified names ("XX"). So now I have 10 accounts instead of 5. The original accounts have hundreds of reconciled transactions going back many years. The renamed accounts only downloaded the last 90 days from Chase (I have not accepted them, as they are not assigned budget categories).

One Step Update now downloads new transactions for ALL the accounts, so a single transaction appears in both versions of the same account.

Unless Quicken comes up with a way to merge the accounts, my only alternative seems to be:
    1. Retain the original accounts to preserve the previous transactions, but deactivate online access to prevent downloading new ones.
    2. Delete the 90 days of transactions into the new XX accounts to eliminate duplication.
    3. Adjust the “original balance” on the new XX accounts as needed to match the final balance on the old accounts.
    4. Use only the new renamed accounts going forward.
    5. Change all my scheduled transactions to the renamed accounts.

Any other ideas? I've put many long hours into this and it's the best I can come up with.
  • thorn5
    thorn5 Member ✭✭✭
    For those who are still having issues/problems with this conversion...  Did all of you attempt the "workarounds" suggested in this and other threads prior to the release of version R43.26?
  • > @thorn5 said:
    > For those who are still having issues/problems with this conversion...  Did all of you attempt the "workarounds" suggested in this and other threads prior to the release of version R43.26?

Tried workarounds except the create a new account and delete old account. When Quicken released R23 some workarounds created more problems.

IMO every workaround has flaws if you are trying to get Quicken to work like it did on 8/31 while using the mandatory EWC+.

Waiting for Quicken to produce a valid working patch or cancel my subscription to quicken. QU Download is the Only reason I keep subscription. There are other methods of tracking account values, investments etc. Quicken serves as the concentration point for all account activity downloads. My Chase Checking is the 100% clearing house for 100% of my cross account transactions. (Paychecks, Utilities, Ccard payments, Loan payments, et. al.)
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @thorn5 said:
    > For those who are still having issues/problems with this conversion...  Did all of you attempt the "workarounds" suggested in this and other threads prior to the release of version R43.26?

I've tried several workarounds with backup copies of my file. One suggestion was to move or copy transactions from the DC account to the EWC+ version. That was a disaster. For example, a Chase credit card payment drawn from a Chase checking account was still linked to the original DC account -- the link didn't update when I moved the transaction. I would have had to manually change hundreds of these.
  • kattmandu
    kattmandu Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Anja" said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > This is a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.
    >
    > Thank you!

Known issue - Really? No ETA for the Fixes? September 26 is the published cut-off date for customers to migrate!
    Please postpone the mandatory completion date for the Chase Migration until the software is fixed and this migration is working.
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    AAR said: Waited until yesterday to do the conversion. Updated to 43.26 first, followed the instructions as posted (did not deactivate checking or credit card account), the conversion went smoothly, the process did not create any new accounts. Online details now show EWC+. Initially received 3 duplicate transactions, today received an additional 20 duplicate transactions. The balances are correct and like others, the Account List shows “Improve Connection”.
    basically same - running R43.26 for a few days - created daily Backups - ran - File --> Validate --> [x] Validate
    1 - went thru and manually DE-activated ALL my Chase accounts before even starting this process.
    2 - also went thru and CLOSED any old Chase accts that were in fact actually closed.
    3 - then did an ADD ACCOUNT for Chase - and followed the directions to Authorize, Select which accts, etc
    4 - all accounts showed up with their nicknames and able to LINK to their existing Quicken accts
    5 - screen said that 5,300 transactions were downloaded - in fact, none actually showed up.
    6 - only 1 dup during this process.
    7 - next day - OSU - and a handful of dup transactions downloaded - from around 9/2/22 - and today is 9/18/22
    8 - will see how next week goes... with OSU and dups.
    9 - the Opening Balance in one acct was weird - but had saved it into the Memo field as suggested by another user

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Hello, any help is welcome.

I'm using Quicken Home/Business R43.26, Windows 10.

As I stated, I can't even complete the authorization for Chase to switch over to web connect. Crashes every time.

I'm told Chase will pop up a screen in my web browser for me to proceed. This never happens.

Instead, Quicken freezes and I have to force close it every single time.

This has been going on for about a week.

I have tried disabling my ad blocker, turning off antivirus or firewall, changing default browser, restarting computer, checking for Quicken updates, etc.

What am I missing?
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > basically same - running R43.26 for a few days - then created daily Backups and ran Verify -
    > 1 - went thru and manually DE-activated ALL my Chase accounts before even starting this process.
    > 2 - also went thru and CLOSED any old Chase accts that were in fact actually closed.
    > 3 - then did an ADD ACCOUNT for Chase - and followed the directions to Authorize, Select which accts, etc
    > 4 - all accounts showed up with their nicknames and able to LINK to their existing Quicken accts
    > 5 - screen said that 5,300 transactions were downloaded - in fact, none actually showed up.
    > 6 - only 1 dup during this process.
    > 7 - next day - OSU - and a handful of dup transactions downloaded - from around 9/2/22 - and today is 9/18/22
    > 8 - will see how next week goes... with OSU and dups.
    > 9 - the Opening Balance in one acct was weird - but had saved it into the Memo field as suggested by another user

One person says deactivate. Another says don't deactivate. Which is it? Does it even matter if you've already gone though a failed conversion? Has the Quicken support team returned from summer vacation yet? In about a week they pull the plug on Direct Connect, then it's "sorry for the inconvenience."
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmhump1 said:  One person says deactivate. Another says don't deactivate. Which is it? Does it even matter if you've already gone though a failed conversion?
    for me - in reading the various scenarios - I went for the brute force manual method ...
    1 - manually DE-activate ALL Chase accounts ... checking for any old closed Chase accts
    2 - manually initiate the Quicken process with an ADD ACCOUNT for Chase -
    and let it find the existing accts at both Chase AND Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.