Chase and EWC+

denmarfl
denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
I have read mixed experiences with Quicken user that have converted from Chase DirectConnect to EWC+....some have reported issues downloading (with is the only service EWC+ Provides for Quicken users).  Those that have converted to EWC+ you experiences will be appreciated by all.

Is there a MUST Chase convert date from DirectConnect to EWC+?  I want to hold out until i Must.  Seems even today (9/7/22) I connected via DirectConnect, at least OSU reported sucessful Connection.  

This is a Conversion I hate to see come to be.  

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @denmarfl

The conversion must be completed by September 26, 2022 as noted in the pop-up message that you should have seen a few weeks ago.  Here is that message:

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @denmarfl

The conversion must be completed by September 26, 2022 as noted in the pop-up message that you should have seen a few weeks ago.  Here is that message:

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Thanks....   What also gripes me is this specific annuncement...it fails to disclose you'll be losing Paying Bills with your Banks Bill Pay using Quicken...that is after a 20 year run of being able to do so.  Faster connection, I doubt it, DirectConnect was pretty darn fast.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is billed as faster because Quicken can do the Express Web Connect + logins in parallel, but for Direct Connect it does them serially (some kind of network backend problem with whatever they are using for the Direct Connect connection that can't be threaded).

But from what I can see it comes at a cost.  Direct Connect sends the request to the financial institution every time you run One Step Update.  If you run back to back One Step Updates with Express Web Connect + it comes back almost immediately on the second request and doesn't pick up any new transactions if they are there.  This has been happening for about two years since they stuck Quicken Inc servers in connection flow.  So, it seems to be caching the results and only returning what the Quicken servers have.

It keeps doing this for about an hour, before it will send a full request again.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not Good....although DirectConnect only downloaded as far as I could tell....one fetch per day no matter how many OSU....I always thought you get the day befores transactions....and no real time.  But even Quicken is putting a brave face on this reporting it is a Better and faster connection...guess its don't burn Bridges.  
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    denmarfl said:
    Not Good....although DirectConnect only downloaded as far as I could tell....one fetch per day no matter how many OSU....I always thought you get the day befores transactions....and no real time.  But even Quicken is putting a brave face on this reporting it is a Better and faster connection...guess its don't burn Bridges.  

Your other choice is to change to Web Connect downloads, where you go to the FI's website; download a Web Connect .QFX file and import it.  Doing it this way, you have complete control over which transactions are downloaded and imported.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I should point out that no matter what connection method it really always up to the financial institution of how fast that information will be made available for downloading.  And BTW that include a QFX file.

For instance, with Chase as @denmarfl pointed out for banking accounts this isn't "real time". But for the investment accounts it is.

The comment about Quicken's servers caching transactions and not doing a real full update for Express Web Connect is just on top of what the financial institution allows.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • R_C
    R_C Member
    Why were we asked to mo6 ve to EWC+ for Chase before it was even ready for primetime? I followed the instructions for transitioning to EWC+ and have had continual problems. My first problem was that I could not download my Chase checking account. I redid the process 5 or 6 times with no success. I finally called the support number and had to wait 30-45 minutes to even get someone on the line to talk to. He insisted that I open up my Quicken session to him so that he would be able to view all my financial records remotely and I told him I would not be willing to do that. He then told me to deactivate my current accounts delete the routing number and account number and then create a new account. This allowed me to then download the transactions, but now I can not sent any of my monthly payments to Chase. I get a "You don't have an account that is enabled for online payments" error message. I contacted Chase and they tell me everything is authorized on their side and it a Quicken problem. I have redone this entire process multiple time, but with no success. So why did you insist that we do the changes, when it just screws up our ability to send payments from Quicken?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    R_C said:
    … This allowed me to then download the transactions, but now I can not sent any of my monthly payments to Chase. I get a "You don't have an account that is enabled for online payments" error message. I contacted Chase and they tell me everything is authorized on their side and it a Quicken problem. …
    What no one has evidently told you is the EWC+ (EWC as well) is one-way communication, bank -> Quicken.  That means that controlling the bank's billpay via Quicken is not possible.  Your choices are go to the bank's website to use the billpay system or use Quicken's BillPay system which is provided by a third party to send those payments using your banking information. 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    OR, move your accts to one of the many other banks that still Odder DirectConnect...which was what Chase was before they converted to EWC+....to me EWC+ is not serving my needs at all...it makes Quicken nothing more than a dumping grounds for cleared Transactions
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, Quicken is moving everything to EWC+.  They announced more financial institutions being converted, so DirectConnect will be no more.
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone think Quicken thinks this is good for future Business?  I mean...so many have said without directConnect (Uplaod & Download)....having to perform entry work at the banks Website....Quicken Value and usefulness is diminished.  I read Eric Dunn Update email he sent out this week....yes he did write other banks in the future would be switching to EWC+ but all I could think about as I read his words was, he needs to put on a positive spin on this, he needs to try to sell Long term Quicken Users how great EWC+ is....he needs to maintain customer Base.  Quite honestly, I did buy any of it and sent a reply to that email...and WOW, it was opened because I sent it with an OutLook Open receipt which came back to me within hours of sending the reply...Dang, was I surprised.  I expressed my disappointment and repeated what many have written in this Post...this reduces a customers needs to continue to Pay for a Quicken Subscription.  Seems to me this is more about the banks settling to use one Protocol....and in the end, Quicken users get the short end.  
  • I have tried to update my Chase accounts and have had nothing but trouble.The directions seem to be incorrect. I am never asked to "reauthorize" access. Instead I am prompted to enter my password and when I do I am told that "Chase cannot use that password". If I go directly to Chase I have no problem. I am seriously looking into alternative to Quicken. Every time there is an "improvement" I lose hours trying to make it work. Quicken really needs to test their software before they release it.
This discussion has been closed.