Update check fails

Options
MajorEvent
MajorEvent Member ✭✭
At startup and via the help menu, check for updates fails with the error: Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load. We are unable to contact the Quicken server. Please check your internet connectivity and try again.

No internet connectivity problems and transaction downloads complete without issue. Attempting to Report a problem from the help menu also failed.
Tagged:

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try this.
    Close Quicken and close all open Windows.
    Shutdown Windows. Turn off the Power Strip that your Modem and Router are plugged into.
    After 15 seconds, Turn the Power Strip back on.
    See if all the lights are back on. If all lights, don'tcome back on, contact your Service Provider for any outages.

If no outages, turn the computer back on and try again. Report back.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I routinely get a similar message, but I have blocked Quicken from checking via my firewall so that it can not push an update thru without my permission.
    Has something changed in your firewall settings?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At startup and via the help menu, check for updates fails with the error: Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load. We are unable to contact the Quicken server. Please check your internet connectivity and try again.

No internet connectivity problems and transaction downloads complete without issue. Attempting to Report a problem from the help menu also failed.
    What is the exact error message?
    If you can, please provide an image snapshot. Capture the image into a PNG, JPG or GIF file. Drag the file from Windows File Explorer into your next new Comment here on this webpage.
    One example together with instructions on how to resolve the problem can be found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load
  • MajorEvent
    MajorEvent Member ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Greetings and thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, they weren't able to resolve the issue. I should mention that my currently installed version is 27.1.43.14 and I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

@thecreator said:
    Try this.Close Quicken and close all open Windows.Shutdown Windows. Turn off the Power Strip that your Modem and Router are plugged into.After 15 seconds, Turn the Power Strip back on.See if all the lights are back on. If all lights, don'tcome back on, contact your Service Provider for any outages.
    If no outages, turn the computer back on and try again. Report back.

Resetting the router hasn't helped. My UPS failed recently so the network was restarted numerous times.

@splasher said:
    I routinely get a similar message, but I have blocked Quicken from checking via my firewall so that it can not push an update thru without my permission.Has something changed in your firewall settings?

There were no changes to the firewall permissions and I did verify that there was an entry allowing Quicken to access the internet and, of course, I already stated that the transactions were downloading fine.

@UKR said:
    What is the exact error message?
    If you can, please provide an image snapshot. Capture the image into a PNG, JPG or GIF file. Drag the file from Windows File Explorer into your next new Comment here on this webpage.One example together with instructions on how to resolve the problem can be found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

I posted the exact text of the error in my first post and a screenshot is included here. I set up a local administrator account and logged in to it. Quicken acted like the first time setup which was expected. Attempting the check for updates failed as before.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It looks to me as if Quicken specifically is being blocked from accessing the internet by your Firewall/AV software. Whatever firewall software you use, it needs the following settings (the first three in this image only, ignore #4) :
    If these rules do not exist in your firewall settings, add them or ask your firewall software support center for help.
  • MajorEvent
    MajorEvent Member ✭✭
    Options
    [quote]@UKR said:
    It looks to me as if Quicken specifically is being blocked from accessing the internet by your Firewall/AV software. Whatever firewall software you use, it needs the following settings (the first three in this image only, ignore #4) If these rules do not exist in your firewall settings, add them or ask your firewall software support center for help.[/quote]

I didn't have two of those, so I added them but still no love. I next turned off the firewall and I also did not connect with it off.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @"MajorEvent ,

Have you recycled your Router and Modem? That is the first thing you should try followed by restarting the operating system.

If working before, it should still work, unless there is an internet outage, affecting Quicken.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• gtadamsesq
    gtadamsesq Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm trying to update my connection for my Discover.com account (per Quicken instructions), and keep getting the message that "...we are unable to connect to the Quicken servers at this time. Try again later" I have no problem updating my other Quicken accounts, so there is a connection to the internet.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm trying to update my connection for my Discover.com account (per Quicken instructions), and keep getting the message that "...we are unable to connect to the Quicken servers at this time. Try again later" I have no problem updating my other Quicken accounts, so there is a connection to the internet.
    How long have you been "trying again later"? Give it 24 hours of no trying, then try one final time.

If it's still not working, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

This discussion has been closed.