Why does Reconcile shares task show a mismatch when quicken and brokerage match?

Options
DRMick
DRMick Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Today my brokerage bought shares to reinvest a dividend that was received yesterday.  
The shares in Quicken match the number of the shares in the brokerage today. But Reconcile Shares shows the shares Mismatch by the amount of the new dividend.  

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you download transactions there are two main sections, one is the transactions the other is a summary of all your positions in your securities.  The Reconcile Shares features is comparing this downloaded summary information to what you have in Quicken.

I have found that for some financial institutions they summary information can be out of date (usually updated late in the night) and therefore not reconcile until it is updated.  One of the reasons for never accepting placeholders.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Joe Lalley

There is a known issue with respect to many investment accounts where the user is running certain recent Quicken releases (that is any releases after R44.28).  I suggest that you revert to release R44.28 for the time being, which I believe that correct your problems.  Here are instructions on how to do that process:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) go to this LINK;
    3) page down to "Windows (US)";
    4) click on "October 2022"
    5) click on the "Release R44.28 (10/25/2022)" link;
    6) this will start a download of that release;
    7) once the download completes - double-click on the executable downloaded file (which will be named "QW27.1.44.28MPatch.exe");
    8) this will install that version and revert you to Release R44.28.

Let me know how that goes and/or if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you download transactions there are two main sections, one is the transactions the other is a summary of all your positions in your securities.  The Reconcile Shares features is comparing this downloaded summary information to what you have in Quicken.

I have found that for some financial institutions they summary information can be out of date (usually updated late in the night) and therefore not reconcile until it is updated.  One of the reasons for never accepting placeholders.
    Signature:
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:

That was the right answer!  Today the Reconcile Shares worked ! many thanks. 
  • davidinangelfire
    Options
    i am having this as a recurring problem since about Nov 8th for only one stock - BFRXX - which is a sweep fund. Quicken initially reported an imbalance of -13,429 shares and is now reporting an imbalance of -25,813 shares.

I don't see any pending transactions but waited a week between the initial imbalance so see if something would resynchronize.

I will send mail to ML to see if they have any explanations but the initial imbalance was reported immediately after I upgraded to R45.7 and was a bit suspicious
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @davidinangelfire R45.7 has a known bug in it that it doesn't do this comparison correctly.  Some people have gone back to the previous release to fix it (or just ignore it for now).  I'm not sure if the R45.11 that is now going out fixes this problem or not.

You can get the previous patch install from here:
    Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired | Quicken
    Signature:
  • davidinangelfire
    Options
    @Chris_QPW thanks for the note. R45.11 does NOT fix it but since this is a known problem, will just ignore it for now.
  • Joe Lalley
    Joe Lalley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Reconcile shares is broken for both my Schwab and Fidelity investment accounts
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Joe Lalley

There is a known issue with respect to many investment accounts where the user is running certain recent Quicken releases (that is any releases after R44.28).  I suggest that you revert to release R44.28 for the time being, which I believe that correct your problems.  Here are instructions on how to do that process:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) go to this LINK;
    3) page down to "Windows (US)";
    4) click on "October 2022"
    5) click on the "Release R44.28 (10/25/2022)" link;
    6) this will start a download of that release;
    7) once the download completes - double-click on the executable downloaded file (which will be named "QW27.1.44.28MPatch.exe");
    8) this will install that version and revert you to Release R44.28.

Let me know how that goes and/or if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• LOH
    LOH Member ✭✭
    Options
    I had the same problem. Installed R44.28 and it seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you!
    I only had a problem with one out of 6 accounts in my portfolio. Thirteen stock reconciles out of a hundred or more holdings were out of balance. All 13 said Fidelity was holding 2835 shares of the stock. The number was identical for all 13 holdings. Should have only been 10 or less. Manually, the shares at Fidelity matched my Quicken account.
    Curious!
This discussion has been closed.