using Quicken as a checkbook program

I am a long-term Quicken user (almost 30 years!)

I use Quicken 2017 as a checkbook program - nothing else

I am getting a new machine, and I would like to use a checkbook program on it

The person I spoke to in the Chat said it is not possible to get or use Quicken 2017 any more - I would have to get a newer version and pay for it every month

As I said, my needs are minimal - just to balance a checkbook, not stock trading, not online banking, etc

Do I have any other options??

Without being ageist, let me add that I am almost 75 years old - I don't want or need a fancy program, but I would like to have an automatic checkbook program

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use QW2017 on a new computer. It is going to be important to keep your old computer with the current working QW2017 installation as you will need to copy a file from the old computer to the new computer to get QW2017 working on the new computer. 

Looking for the post with the details. Will add it here once found.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    Here is the QW2017 installation discussion with details on the file needed for QW2017 to work on the new computer:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918354/migrating-quicken-2017-from-old-to-new-computer-quicken-data-access-guarantee

• I no longer have the installation disk for Quicken 2017, and I don't see how to buy a new one
  • mshiggins
    I no longer have the installation disk for Quicken 2017, and I don't see how to buy a new one
    Oh that is unfortunate.  You would need the installation disc or file.  Possibly you can find a copy for sale on eBay?  

An alternative is to use QW2013 instead. You can download a copy of QW2013 for free. You would have to do some work to get your QW2017 data into QW2013, though.  Please see this post in the QW2017 discussion for the link to download QW2013 from:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20314668/#Comment_20314668

• Thanks for your quick responses. I tried to follow the directions and download Quicken 2013 on the old machine, just to see what it looked like. But it would not install 2013 until I uninstalled 2017 - not ready to do that!

I guess I will have to wait until the new computer gets here in a few days. Then I will try to download Quicken 2013 on that machine

I also guess I will need to do something to my existing data file so that Quicken 2013 can read it?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but you can not go backward from 2017 to 2013.  You would have to start a new file in 2013.  Unless there is some trick.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• mshiggins
    edited November 2022
    volvogirl said:
    Sorry but you can not go backward from 2017 to 2013.  You would have to start a new file in 2013.  Unless there is some trick.  
    The trick I had in mind was QIF export from QW2017 and QIF import to QW2013. For a file with just a checking account, it should be straightforward.

Edit to add:
    @splasher did the QIF export/import from subscription version to QW2013 for a more complicated file. Perhaps he has some tips he can share?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully @Chris_QPW will chime in here with his extensive knowledge as I followed his guidance.  I managed to work my way thru converting my subscription (2018+) file to 2013 (less investments) but I did not document what I did but I was 100% successful and I am now running 2013 and subscription in parallel with a very minimum of extra work.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The best shared knowledge on this is recorded on my website page in in the Quicken forum thread that it references:
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See @mshiggins, I told you Chris would come through with a great response.  I couldn't remember exactly where I found the good advice, but I knew Chris was the source.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.