how do I create a general ledger for my auditor show all transactions in all accounts---

Options
joehelpcenter
joehelpcenter Member
edited December 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I need a general ledger showing all transactions in all accounts for a calendar year for my auditors. how do I get this report, thank you

Best Answers

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q doesn't use a 'General Ledger" type  paradigm ... there's no such thing in Q. Q uses a Checkbook paradigm.
    Instead, you'd might do REPORTS, BANKING, Transaction .. with the "Sort By"  set to "Date/Account" and "Show Splits" checked and "Date Range" set as needed.
    In my case,  using Year to Date, it's a 62 page report ... so be prepared.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @joehelpcenter,

A "general ledger" report would show monthly balances for all of your accounts for a given period (kept on a year by year basis.  A "general ledger" would never show "all transactions in all accounts for a calendar year", under any circumstances - that level of detail is only shown in transaction level registers.  And as noted above, Quicken cannot produce a general ledger report.

The closest thing to a general ledger in Quicken would be an "Account Balances" report produced for the year and using an "Interval" of "Month".  To run that report in Quicken you would use these parameters:

And to provide the "all transactions in all accounts" data, you will need to run a "Transaction" report produced for the year.  To run that report in Quicken you would use these parameters:

Please note that I used 2021 for these examples - but you'll need to use 2022.

Hope this helps.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    "A "general ledger" would never show "all transactions in all accounts for a calendar year", under any circumstance."
    In this day and age of computers, a general ledger frequently does contain every single transaction in every single account, particularly with software aimed at smaller businesses. You can generate "summery" G/Ls or "detail" G/Ls as you see fit. 

The Banking > Transaction report sorted as @NotACPA mentions will give you every single transaction in every single Account.  The "summary" number that's in line with each Account's title represents the change for the year, not a beginning balance.  (Stupid placement of a sum of numbers at the top of the string of number to be summed, but that's a change Quicken implemented, for some unknown reason, years ago.)
    Hand your auditor a Net Worth or Accounts Balances report for 12/31/21 and 12/31/22 and you've provided exactly what's been requested: Beginning balance of each Account, all the transactions in each Account, change from beginning to end of period, ending balance of each Account.
  • joehelpcenter
    joehelpcenter Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    thanks for all the comments, all were very helpful.
  • joehelpcenter
    joehelpcenter Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    and yes, my question was answered
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Young said:
    "A "general ledger" would never show "all transactions in all accounts for a calendar year", under any circumstance."
    In this day and age of computers, a general ledger frequently does contain every single transaction in every single account, particularly with software aimed at smaller businesses. You can generate "summery" G/Ls or "detail" G/Ls as you see fit. 
    @Tom Young,

In this day and age of computers, "a database is a database" and yes, today's financial databases have the ability to store any and all financial transactions of an entity (or multiple entities) and therefore generate reports on such data in a plethora of different reports and formats. 

However, that has not, and does not, change the definition of a general ledger under any circumstance.

Just sayin'.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.