Slowdowns and Not Enough Memory to Proceed errors

Options

Comments

• andrewwarrenjone
    andrewwarrenjone Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
    @""Quicken Jared" I did a few more experiments. I am able to massively increase GDI object creation by scrolling through a register with a large number of transactions. Each transaction coming into view created between 3 and 6 more GDI objects for each transaction coming into view. I also used GDIView from Nirsoft with the following output:

201096    qw.exe    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe    CERBERUS\ajones    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    7371

That last column includes icons and cursors whereas the other columns do not. So, I think the leak is in the register code regarding the handling of those specific resources.

The other weird thing is that only some of my registers exhibited this behavior....

• tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @andrewwarrenjone That's a great find and hopefully helpful for the Quicken developers. I'd never connected this issue to simply scrolling thru transactions but, honestly, it's likely not something I do a lot. This would definitely indicate that the code that "paints" the register is leaking GDI resources.

One possible reason that it may affect some registers and not others could be that the affected registers have an icon displayed for some transactions (e.g. the paperclip icon for file attachments) that doesn't appear in any transactions in the unaffected registers.

Or, I notice that my banking accounts always show three icons on the bottom-most register line for "Save", "More actions..." and "Split", whereas my investment accounts show text-based options "Enter", "Edit" and "Delete." Could it be that this only affects your banking accounts?
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@tivolo
    While the program gobbles up ram, it ultimately releases it.  No so much with the resources.  And the grab is across registers. Each register visited or revisited seems to add to the total.  This morning I put up the Task Manager/Details next to Quicken as I processed.  Its entertaining watching the numbers go up.

For me, the issue of instability began about the time of the Chase conversion.  I originally associated this with used ram; resources are definitely a symptom if not more. 
    Could the Intuit diversion be a contributor?

• Marty
    Marty Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I suspected the problem started for me around the Chase conversion as well. It doesn't really matter. The leak just needs to be fixed.
  • ErikO
    ErikO Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add my voice to all of this. Strange/slow Quicken behavior introduced sometime in the last couple of months. Screens flash when transactions are saved or registers are switched. LOTS and LOTS of changes and updates over the last several months to keep up with all the syncing changes. Now that those are done, please dedicate your engineers to fixing all the bugs & memory leaks they have introduced!
  • Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well said, Samuel. Unfortunately, We are paying for a flawed service of late.
  • carbuff
    carbuff Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add me as another one experiencing this issue. I'm also a long-time Quicken user who typically leaves Quicken open for weeks on end. I came to the support forums specifically to search for others possibly having this issue, and I'm glad I found this thread quickly. I haven't looked at my resource utilization, but from reading the description this is exactly my own experience.
  • swpcap
    swpcap Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same issue for us. We leave it up for weeks on end and have used it 30+ years. Can't do that now... hope it gets fixed soon.
  • BDig
    BDig Member ✭✭
    Options
    30 year user, very few problems over the years until Issue started for me in late Oct/early November. Tried all the fixes/suggestions I have seen online and in other message board posts, none helped. Also spent nearly 2 hours with Quicken online help, validated file multiple times and ultimately told to use backup version from several weeks prior…which seemed to help a little for a very brief period of time (and cost me half a day re-entering transactions). Now (last couple of weeks) also experiencing a mis-match between shares reported and shares in Quicken for Fidelity accounts. As others are, very frustrated. Happy to have found this thread, will monitor progress and remain hopeful for a fix like everyone else.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Jared Any updates on this issue? Although we have a workaround, it would be great to know the dev team has identified the issue and is working on a fix for this. Thanks!
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @dc0063
    Sorry for the delayed response to your question, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Intuit diversion." My guess as to why this occurred is that the Quicken team was making changes/improvements to OSU (perhaps related or coincident to the Chase update as some have mentioned) and simply introduced some code that's not properly releasing resources (which can literally be as simple as omitting a single line of code).

As @Samuel mentioned, these types of errors should be caught through automated testing, but Quicken for Windows is a very old codebase and many of the automated testing tools/approaches likely didn't exist when it was first written. Ideally, the Quicken devs are introducing such testing into code areas that are undergoing significant changes, but it's a slow, painful task.

I don't want to make too many excuses for them, and I'm sure they know everything @Samuel and I have said, but having myself inherited a large codebase with little to no automated testing, I can empathize with what they're probably dealing with.
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @tivolo
    Actually the question was rhetorical (it should have been clearer) and was referring to the Intuit EWC+ data interface.  It's an additional connection that requires security, validation, error corrections, etc.  I was suggesting that maybe the problem isn't internal to Q, but at the margins. 
    And yes, it has to be a tough code base to manage and trace.  Bet many of the original tools are no longer.
    Thanks for the response, much appreciated. In the mean time, closing the program every couple of days isn't the end of the world.

• AnB_4Ever
    Options
    Crazy that this is has just recently (last couple months) got MUCH worse! You would think by now they would have a good set of regression test scenarios to run through to ensure they don't introduce memory leaks in the code!
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am noticing the same issue. I hope this gets fixed soon. quicken has gotten very slow over the last few months
  • GreenOak
    GreenOak Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add me to the list of longtime Quicken users who is experiencing slowdown/restricted functionality issues. Today I was trying to manually match a downloaded transaction and got a message about not enough memory to proceed. I'm wondering if the problem stemmed from the update to continually download updated securities prices.
  • BDig
    BDig Member ✭✭
    Options
    For the record, assuming the Quicken folks are keeping one, quitting and restarting does nothing for me. I am doing it regularly, but it has no impact on the speed issue. Reconciling bank accounts over the weekend was excruciating, the program is approaching unusable for me.
  • BDig
    BDig Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Samuel, Downloading quotes is slow, but always kinda has been. Changing between accounts and entering transactions is what is killing me. 15-30 seconds minimum for every transaction I enter manually. Similarly, checking off transactions while reconciling has a several second delay. I get the black screen occasionally, but it usually will repopulate the screen after a while.
  • Jerry Pederson
    Options

I just received my annual subscription bill from Quicken.  Surprisingly, It is an increase from last year.  Considering all the problems I and others are having with the Quicken programming; they should be offering up a severely discounted premium, or a billing hiatus followed by a free month membership for customer testing.    The $64 question is whether Quicken can restore their customers' confidence that their system works the way they claim it works. 

Quicken is very quick to collect but very, very slow to correct this historic problem.

Someone mentioned the program has become almost useless. I agree.

• Jerry Pederson
    Options
    Samuel, your call was certainly a step forward to bring this problem to the chiefs at Quicken.  An hour is obviously a long conversation.  Can/would you please what let this thread know what responses you received on the issues you raised.  I for one would be very interested.
  • Jerry Pederson
    Options
    Sound like the same old "we are working on it"

I did send a lengthy and blunt message to the Quicken chiefs like you suggested.  I have my doubts it will have an impact.
  • BDig
    BDig Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Samuel, @Jerry Pederson I did the same this morning, appreciate the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.