What happens when I delete a payee? (Q Mac)

Options
I wanted to get rid of some payees that pop up when I'm entering certain transactions. I went to "Payees & Rules," selected one, and hit the minus symbol at the bottom of the window. In the background, I noticed that the overview showing spending by category updated. That made me think that perhaps it actually deleted the transactions with those payees instead of just deleting that payee name for future use.

I think I should have gone to "QuickFill Rules" instead. I am concerned that it's going to throw balances off on some of my accounts. I did not get any kind of warning asking me if I really intended to delete those reconciled transactions. Does anyone know what happens when you delete a payee?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you delete a Payee in the Payees & Rules window, it doesn't actually delete the Payee! It marks it as Hidden, so it disappears from the list here and in dropdown menus — but the Payee is still in your database, and the transaction(s) which use this Payee are unaffected.

To see this, in the Payees & Rules window, click the checkbox near the top to Show Hidden. The right-most column should be hidden, and you show see this Payee in the list, with a checkbox in that column.

This is what most people want when they think to delete a Payee: to get it out of sight going forward, without adversely affecting the past. But what if you really, really want to make a Payee gone forever? There are a few things you can do. One is to merge this Payee with one or more other Payees. If you're planning to do cleanup and delete multiple Payees, you could create a Payee called something like "*Deleted Payee*", and merge the Payees you don't want not this Payee. All the transactions using the original Payee name will be changed to "*Deleted Payee*". Or you can edit one of the transactions using the Payee name you don't want, edit it to something else, and Quicken will ask you if you want to rename all existing transactions using that Payee to the new name.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you have a backup you can restore?  Always make a backup before doing changes like that so in case it doesn't work out you can restore.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    [Deleted post.  It was applicable for a Windows issue which this thread was originally posted under but not applicable for Mac.]

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Stewart Dale Spencer

I noticed that you are a Mac user and that you've posted your question in the Windows section of the forum.  I suspect that the above comments won't help you and am going to ask the moderators to move your post to the Mac section.

Good luck!

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Stewart Dale Spencer
    Options
    Thanks Frankx. I thought I had selected the Mac section. Thanks volvogirl. The backup suggestion was helpful. I can do that easily enough. I haven't entered much the past couple of days. Finally, thanks Boatnmaniac. Yeah, it's organized differently on the Mac version. The memorized payee list on Windows is just called payees on Mac. But I expect it works the same so that's a relief. I will know in a few days when I reconcile some accounts.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you delete a Payee in the Payees & Rules window, it doesn't actually delete the Payee! It marks it as Hidden, so it disappears from the list here and in dropdown menus — but the Payee is still in your database, and the transaction(s) which use this Payee are unaffected.

To see this, in the Payees & Rules window, click the checkbox near the top to Show Hidden. The right-most column should be hidden, and you show see this Payee in the list, with a checkbox in that column.

This is what most people want when they think to delete a Payee: to get it out of sight going forward, without adversely affecting the past. But what if you really, really want to make a Payee gone forever? There are a few things you can do. One is to merge this Payee with one or more other Payees. If you're planning to do cleanup and delete multiple Payees, you could create a Payee called something like "*Deleted Payee*", and merge the Payees you don't want not this Payee. All the transactions using the original Payee name will be changed to "*Deleted Payee*". Or you can edit one of the transactions using the Payee name you don't want, edit it to something else, and Quicken will ask you if you want to rename all existing transactions using that Payee to the new name.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Stewart Dale Spencer
    Options
    Thanks jacobs!
This discussion has been closed.