i just maually had to enter 3 months worth of discover card charges?

went on my account page for discover and found out quicken doesn't support downloads of charges from discover anymore? i have had Quicken for 20years or more and i have always downloaded my discover card charges?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I download a .CSV file from Discover and use ImportQIF (QuicknPerlWiz.com - free) to convert to a QIF file for import into Quicken and it works great if you don't want to use the Express Web Connect download method.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    No, Quicken supports downloads from Discover but Discover did change which connection method they support.  In Sep it was announced that Discover decided to discontinue support for the Direct Connect and Web Connect connection methods and that going forward the only connection method Discover will support is Express Web Connect. 
    This meant that everyone who wishes to continue downloading from Discover must deactivate the online setups for their Discover account(s) and then do Add Account to set it up, again. So, that is what you need to do if you want to continue downloading into Quicken from Discover.  Some comments/suggestions regarding this:
    • Backup your data file before proceeding.
    • If you have more than one Discover account, be sure to deactivate all of them before trying to do Add Account (reactivate).
    • There is an issue that sometimes occurs when deactivating/reactivating accounts:  The Opening Balance transaction $ value will sometimes get changed.  Make sure to enter the $ value shown into the Memo field of this transaction before proceeding.  If after completing the reactivation process the account balance is off, check the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount and, if it does not match what you entered into the Memo field, correct it.
    • Go to Add Account and start the online services set up process.  Make sure to Link the download(s) that occur to the existing account(s) if/when you are prompted.
    • This process might enter transactions into the register that are duplicates of what is already entered there.  If this happens, the duplicates will need to be manually deleted.  Generally, the number of duplicates downloaded will be for the last 60-90 days but it could go back further than this or it might be less than this.
    One other suggestion:  It seems that more and more financial institutions are limiting downloads to only the last 2-4 wks of transactions instead of for the last 60-90 days.  I'm not sure how many days Discover now downloads nor if they will be reducing the number of days going forward.  You might want to consider downloading transactions every two weeks instead of every 3 months so you don't perhaps get stuck needing to manually enter older transactions, again.

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I download a .CSV file from Discover and use ImportQIF (QuicknPerlWiz.com - free) to convert to a QIF file for import into Quicken and it works great if you don't want to use the Express Web Connect download method.

• i have the latest quicken version just installed nov 27. I did try web connect before, it didn't work I contacted discover card and they said Quicken wasn't supporting it now. I never heard of QuickenPerlWiz.com i will look that up and give it a try. thanks for yu reply!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    i have the latest quicken version just installed nov 27. I did try web connect before, it didn't work I contacted discover card and they said Quicken wasn't supporting it now. I never heard of QuickenPerlWiz.com i will look that up and give it a try. thanks for yu reply!
    Web Connect and Express Web Connect are two different download methods.  
    • Web Connect is the manual download and import of transactions in QFX file format from the online account. 
    • Express Web Connect is a method whereby Quicken downloads the transactions for you...no need to log into your online account and manually download from there like Web Connect requires.
    Discover discontinued support of Web Connect but they still support Express Web Connect.
    The steps I provided in my last post are needed to set up an Express Web Connect connection.  Did you try these steps and what was the result?

The CSV/ImportQIF process mentioned by @splasher is something that works but it does require you to log into your online Discover account and then manually download that CSV file from there with the added step of then converting that file into a QIF file which Quicken can then import.  It works well but it is not as efficient and simple as letting Quicken download via Express Web Connect.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one advantage to the QIF file import is that it does NOT randomly reset the opening balance of the account to unexpected amounts, but you do need to reconcile to the paper statement since the online balance is not downloaded.

This discussion has been closed.