Starting a new Data File (current one over 20years 500k)- best way

halcyon4
halcyon4 Member
I'm a long time Quicken Windows User. My data file is now over 500k going back 20 years. I put ALL of my financial transactions in. It still works ok, but I would like to simplify with a new data file for the start of 2023. What I have been doing to date is WAY to time consuming.

I'm not sure if I should import from a few years ago, say back to 2020. I know I want to simplify my categories for better, simpler budgeting. I have almost given up on using the investment section. I have too many and it takes hours to input every little mutual fund fractional share. Maybe it'll down load easier and be accurate with a new data file.

Even after all these years using quicken, I feel like I could use a practical tutorial. Anyway the main thing is creating new smaller data file for next year.
Regards,
David

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    halcyon4 said:  I'm a long time Quicken Windows User. My data file is now over 500k going back 20 years.
    That does seem large - even for the timeframe.... do you have "attachments" stored in the Quicken QDF file ?
    Try the Quicken display ... Help --> (Shift key) + About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• I have the same issue and question, so interested to hear the guidance. My file is not only large and slow, but having just been recently divorced, I want a fresh file which matches to my new normal but I didn't necessarily want to set EVERYTHING up from scratch.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Starting a new data file is dead simple.  But as you add more criteria you start getting a very custom question that can't readily be answered.  For instance, @halcyon4 talks about changing categories where @Rhinoguy98 doesn't seem to want that.  And then the question about how far back the transactions one wants comes into play.

You might want to try creating a new data file with this option on and off to see the results:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Setup -> Use New Subscriber settings for new files, accounts, features.

Also, you can create a new data file, maybe delete the categories, and then export/import the Category list and maybe the Memorized payees from the old file to the new one using the QIF export/import.

You can also File -> Copy or Backup File and see if Create a copy or template OR Create a year-end-archive will suit your needs.  Note though with these you aren't starting from scratch and as such it is possible that problems might carry on from the old data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.