Move Transactions

Woodsy
Woodsy Member
I am moving large amounts of transactions between accounts. At first, I could move a large amount of transactions at once but I started to get an error message telling me to move a smaller amounts. I no longer get the message but no matter how many transactions I select it only moves about 20 at a time. I did see a message about "temp" but I did not record the details.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you mentioned "temp" ... Please verify this:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one)  e.g., C:\Temp, and reboot Windows.

If the Temp folder is located on a too-small SSD C: - drive and you have an internal standard hard disk, too, move the Temp folder to the internal hard disk and change the TEMP and TMP variables
    If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK C: /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

It might be helpful to shut down, wait a few seconds and then restart Quicken after every large move.
    Be sure to have Backup functions enabled in Quicken. You want to create a backup of your Quicken data file every so often ... just in case something were to go wrong.

• Woodsy
    Woodsy Member
    What I checked so far:

The temp paths look good
    All paths are on the SSD drive (about 200 GB free space)
    My user account has Admin privileges
    My laptop does not have an internal hard disk
    Temp folders are not too junky. 2 week old laptop and I have used email and Quicken so far
    I have one drive but the temp folders are not showing a sync status so I am guessing they are not synced to the cloud
    When I run chkdsk I receive the message "cannot run because volume is in use by another process ..."
    Logging off and restarting are has no affect.

Is the SSD the issue?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?
    Is your subscription expired or still active?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    Your mention of "temp" without any further details may have been a red herring that mislead me. SSD or internal hard drive makes no difference, as long as your Quicken data file is located there. Network - connected server disks or disk locations accessed by MS OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. are not supported for use with the active Quicken data file.
    When you get this error message or other messages during Move again, please capture a screen snapshot and attach it to your next comment.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

This discussion has been closed.