How to rearrange accounts so banking is on the top of right column

Gary Wnorowski
Gary Wnorowski Member ✭✭✭
I added a new property and Debt account. for some reason it rearranged the accounts in the right column so all "Property" accounts are at the top and "Banking" is at the bottom. I can rearrange accounts within a category but I can't get banking to move up to the top. can anyone assist? thanks in advance

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you are using a fairly recent subscription version of Quicken Windows.  

I assume you have set the Account Bar to be on the right instead of the default left (Edit / Preferences / Navigation.  Thus you are talking about the order of the account groups in the account bar.

You should find a gear icon at the top of that account bar.  The associated selections include a rearrange accounts option which brings up a drag-and-drop view of the accounts.  That also allows you to rearrange to order of those groups (Banking, Investments, Property and Debt.  Click the group heading and drag up or down to the desired position.      
  • Gary Wnorowski
    Thank you for this response. I do have the account bar on the right. I am following the directions you provided. Although I can move items within a group, I cannot move "groups". In particular, I am trying to get "Banking" to be at the top of the list above "Property and Debt". I investigated further. I have three separate Quicken files that I use regularly. what is interesting is that I am able to move "groups" in the account bar in my other files. I am not sure why it is not working in this file. I have run a validation but that hasn't fixed the issue. let me know if you have any additional thoughts.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you know how and can move them in other files, but can’t in this one. That baffles me. I’ll suggest a call to Quicken support, but am not confident they will be able to identify the difference. May be difficult to get through at this time also. 

@Chris_QPW and @Jim_Harman are two of the best users here at that type of diagnostic. Maybe they will have constructive ideas. 
  • Gary Wnorowski
    Thanks again for looking at this. It is quite odd. Do you know if there a way for me to put this issue in front of those two experts through this platform?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did that by using the @ symbol. They are both very thorough at reading a lot of the posts on this site and may have already taken note. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know there isn't any way to move a "group" in the Account bar.
    If you have a data file that has them in another order than this I would love to see a screenshot of it (not that I could suggest how it got that way):

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Drag and Drop of an account group in the new Rearrange Accounts process doesn't seem to work, click the ":" icon in the group header line. The popup menu gives you choices to Move Up, Move Down, etc.
    Click the Done button when finished moving groups or individual accounts within a group.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    As far as I know there isn't any way to move a "group" in the Account bar.
    If you have a data file that has them in another order than this I would love to see a screenshot of it (not that I could suggest how it got that way):
    You can rearrange them (except for Separate). Here are screenshots.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, at the moment for me Rearrange Accounts is causing a crash, so I can't check it out, but that makes sense I never tried rearranging them in the new Rearrange Accounts dialog.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Gary Wnorowski
    edited December 2022
    I continue to evaluate and now see a difference between the way these accounts are arranged in each file. In my "personal" quicken file I have the following "groups": Banking, Investing and Property and debt. I can rearrange these in the account bar. In the quicken file I use for business (the one that will not let me reorder accounts), I seem to only have "Business" as a account group. Within "Business" there are subcategories of "Banking" and "property and Debt" but for some reason I cannot move "banking" to the top of the list. See screen shots
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, the Account Sidebar is grouped into these main groups, based on the setting of Account Intent in Edit Account Details, Display Options tab:
    • (Personal) Banking
    • Business
    • Rental Property
    • (Personal) Investments
    • (Personal) Property & Debt
    Only these primary groups can be rearranged at this time.
    All your accounts in the "Business" file appear to be flagged as Account Intent = Business.
    I'm not aware of any way to rearrange subgroups within Business using the Rearrange Accounts function.
    However, moving one of my personal banking accounts from Account Intent = Spending / Personal to Spending / Business made a "Banking" subgroup appear at the top of my Business accounts.
    Try moving all your business banking accounts from their current Account Intent setting to "Spending / Personal". When done, move them back again to "Spending / Business" ... did that recreate the Banking subgroup at the top of the Business accounts?

• Gary Wnorowski
    This Worked. I changed the intent of my 3 banking accounts from "Spending/business" to "spending/personal". I moved this new personal banking "group" to the top of the of the Account Bar. I then changed their intent back to "Spending/business" and those accounts stayed at the top of the bar. Thank you to everyone for your help. Happy Holidays!
  • LynetteD
    LynetteD Member

Thank you Gary Wnorowski! I was rearranging accounts in the account bar and somehow the banking section got the bottom of the business section. It has been driving me crazy and wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out (even on here reading) and you have saved the day!

This discussion has been closed.