What happens if I delete outdated investment accounts?

Options
milthess
milthess Member
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I have a bunch of old investment accounts that were closed long ago. They were rolled into other accounts, which were rolled ...

I now have just a small number of accounts but continue to drag the old ones along. I have no need for the old ones and will never refer to them again.

What happens if I delete the old accounts in Quicken? Will it affect the basis reporting for the current ones?

Thanks.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Networth Report overtime will not be accurate, other than that, delete away.  The transactions that transferred funds into those accounts will have their category changed to something like [deleted account], but that will hurt anything.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    But be sure you have a GOOD backup on hand and keep it around for a while — just in case you don’t like the results!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:
    But be sure you have a GOOD backup on hand and keep it around for a while — just in case you don’t like the results!
    Yeah, I forgot to add the backup advice.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• fanfare
    fanfare Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    It would be better to just HIDE those old accounts. I rename them from XYZ to XYZ-Closed.
    That way you can still get historical reports.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    splasher said:
    The Networth Report overtime will not be accurate, other than that, delete away.  The transactions that transferred funds into those accounts will have their category changed to something like [deleted account], but that will hurt anything.
    They become [Unspecified Account].
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.