Mutual Fund Conversion not correct

tigr_ldy
tigr_ldy Member
edited February 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I'm using R45.21 Windows and doing a mutual fund conversation for Vanguard ETF conversions. Three conversation works perfectly but the other fund does not work. I've checked and the number of shares is correct the day prior of the old fund (V Total Intl Stock) and I have input correctly the new number of shares and price for the transaction date (VXUS) but no matter how I enter it I seem to come up at 1170.151 shares short. I have ensured that Use Average Cost is NOT selected in the security list. What other things can I check?
Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you provide the details of that incorrect conversion so I can try that in a test file?
    I guess you could also try a Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock), though that would work throughout your file so you wouldn't want to try that if you have V Total Intl Stock in some other Account where the conversion didn't happen.
    Are the conversions all step ups to Admiral shares or changes to different Vanguard funds?
  • tigr_ldy
    tigr_ldy Member
    I have the fund in other accounts so I can NOT do a Corporate Acquisition. I double checked at Average Cost is off.
    on 11/22 I verified that I have in Quicken and Vanguard:
    425.491shares of VTIAX
    Then on 11/23 I converted these to ETF thus:
    282.018shares of VXUS at 52.50 but I can't get Quicken to come up with the correct shares - it converts and then shows 270.316shares.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a difference of 11.702 shares. In your original post you said the difference was 1170.151 shares. Which is correct?

Also your numbers must be wrong somewhere:
    VTIAX was $28.17 on 11/23 so 425.491 shares were worth $11,986.08.
    VXUS was $52.50                      282.018                               14,805.95

Are you sure you did not receive 228 shares rather than 282?

QWin Premier subscription
  • tigr_ldy
    tigr_ldy Member
    I had issues this morning apparently with the decimals. Sorry about that:
    42549.1 shares VTIAX
    28201.8 shares VXUS
    Quicken showed 27031.5 shares of VXUS when I converted.
  • tigr_ldy
    tigr_ldy Member
    And to make matters...sorry for this as you are trying to help me out. The VTIAX shares were 52449.1 shares. Not sure where
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, an early start on your New Year's Eve celebrations, no doubt?  :D
    In a twist on Scarlet O'Hara's famous line "I can't think about that today, I'll think about it tomorrow", I'll think about this next year!

• tigr_ldy
    tigr_ldy Member
    So, just to recap (and I wish I could delete my posts or at least edit!)
    VTIAX 52449.1 at 28.17
    to
    VXUS 28201.78 at 52.50

Quicken only gives me 27031.6 shares.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Mutual Fund Conversion window, you provide the total number of shares of the new fund and its price (VXUS 28201.78 shares @ 52.50 per your last post), so I don't understand the statement "Quicken only gives me 27031.6 shares."

The MF Conversion routine generates Add Shares transactions - one for each lot of the old fund.  Do you have as many Add Shares as you had lots of the old fund?

Each of the Add Shares should be adding 53.77% (=28,201.78 / 52,449.1) of the old lot shares.  Example: If the old lot of VTIAX had 123 shares, the new lot of VXUS should have 66.136863 shares. 
    Is that ratio evident for all Add Shares transactions? 
    Do all the Add Shares transactions show the same ratio?  Perhaps 27301.6 / 52449.1 = 0.520535.  

Is there somewhere you have a negative share transaction for VXUS?  Like a Sell Short or Remove Shares.
    Do you have a placeholder for VXUS?  Make sure your preference setting are set to show hidden transactions.
    Is the some sale after the conversion of 1,170.18 shares?  

Were all the VTIAX transactions making up the 52,449.1 shares in place before you did the Mutual Fund Conversion?  The MF Conversion is not 'dynamic'; it only acts on transactions in place at the time you make the entry.  

Hope some of these questions are helpful.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    tigr_ldy said:
    So, just to recap (and I wish I could delete my posts or at least edit!)
    VTIAX 52449.1 at 28.17
    to
    VXUS 28201.78 at 52.50

Quicken only gives me 27031.6 shares.
    There is still something wrong with these numbers. Using these numbers you started with 1,477,491.15 and ended with $1,480,593.45

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.